Chocolate Crinkle Cake Mix Cookies

Today is one of those days where I’ve actually done a lot of stuff on my to do list, but I’ve completed all of the simplistic tasks first, saving the pain-in-the-butt stuff for later.

Stupid move by me… but why not put off those tasks a bit longer and post about cookies?

chocolate crinkle cookies 022

I must confess, I kind of love using cake mix to make baked goods other than cakes. It feels so innovative when, in actuality, it’s probably just lazy. But is is fun and having fun is the best part of baking, right?

Okay, after eating dough, having fun is the best part of baking.

When I made snickerdoodle cake mix cookies on Sunday, I immediately had an idea when I saw the way the cookies looked when they came out of the oven.

They were splitting and crinkly looking… perfect for classic chocolate crinkle cookies!

chocolate crinkle cookies 025

Pin It

Would you believe me if I told you I’ve never actually had a chocolate crinkle cookie? It’s true! So I cannot say that these are perfect chocolate crinkle cookies, but if chocolate crinkle cookies are supposed to taste like brownie cookies, these babies are legit.

chocolate crinkle cookies 034

Chocolate Crinkle Cake Mix Cookies

Ingredients:

• 1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • Powdered sugar for garnish

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cookie sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
  2. Combine cake mix, oil and eggs in a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until everything is combined.
  3. Pour powdered sugar into a small bowl.
  4. Roll cookie dough into balls and roll around in bowl of powdered sugar until they are coated in a thin layer of the sugar.
  5. Place dough balls on cookie sheet and bake for approximately 12 minutes.
  6. Cool and enjoy.

chocolate crinkle cookies 011

chocolate crinkle cookies 013

chocolate crinkle cookies 016

chocolate crinkle cookies 038-1

I made these cookies to fill a tin to send to one of my girlfriends who I picked for Secret Santa. I’m pretty sure she’s going to know it’s me now, but I’m pretty awful with secrets anyway, so it was only a matter of time.

Surprise! Smile

Comments

Why does powdered sugar make every look pretty? I’d be down to have those as a secret santa gift!! Such a creative way to use a typical, cheap ingredient like cake mix, and make something fabulous. Two thumbs up!

2. @stephcherkezian says

You can use this exact recipe and roll a Rolo in the middle. They create the the tastiest cookies and are something different.

These cookies look so delicious! I love that they are really simple to make and only require a few ingredients. Adding these to my list to bake this weekend! 🙂

4. Marci B says

Wow this made my life so much easier – i was planning on making these tomorrow anyway and was going to have to wake up early to make the dough since in the traditional recipe you have to let the dough sit in the freezer for 4-6 hours…. i will just use your version now 🙂

5. Jennifer says

I made those last week for a cookie contest at work, but pushed a candy cane Hershey’s kiss in the middle when they came out of the oven. They were amazingly easy (and I won)!

6. Felicia @ Let's Talk About... says

These look so pretty! I bet they would be great with a little bit of mint extract or crushed up peppermints in them too.

I won’t lie..I love the idea of cake mix cookies too! It makes cookie baking so so easy and they always turn out so delicious!

THESE cookies look ah-mazing especially! Just yesterday I was at panera bread and bought one of their crinkle cookies (if you buy lunch their you get any bakery item for 99 cents, so why not?!) and it was so so good! It actually had mint flavored powdered sugar on top..I’m not sure how you would do that but gosh it was delish!

I just made chocolate crinkle cookies (also called snow caps) for the first time the other week too and was so impressed with how good they came out! I added peppermint extract (idea from Eating Bender) and chopped up Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses. They were so good and gone before I knew it!

Ooo these look great! And they remind me of these chocolate gooey butter cookies I always make that I got from Paula Deen. I made them 2 days ago actually! It’s just a box of Devil’s food cake mix, 8 ounces of cream cheese, and a stick of butter (topped with powdered sugar). OMG sooo good! Clearly, yours are healthier though ha!

10. Kelly says

I tried these today because they sounded so easy. I needed a recipe that used Baby Ruth candy bars, so I chopped them up and added them to cake mix. They turned out amazing. Thanks for the short cut recipe for aking crinkle cookies!

11. April says

Have you ever heard of making cookies with simply cake mix and cool whip! It is so easy and so yummy! They look just like your chocolate cookies complete with the sugar topping and all!

12. Jillian says

I just made these last night for a Holiday Bake Off in my office! I added a little more oil because with only 1/4 cup i could barely mix it and the batter was sticking to my hands so I couldn’t roll them. Once I added more oil- they were perfect! I added rolos in the middle per a commenters suggestion and these are great! Fingers crossed I win or place in the bake off.

13. Amber says

Just made these for my Yearbook class and they turned out great! I agree with Jillian, 1/4 cup of oil didn’t seem like enough- however it was a slight fix and I just added more until it was a good consistency. My only other note was that I added 2 more minutes to the time because they came out a little fudgy the first batch, and I (in the case of brownies) like them more on the well-done side. Thanks for this easy and yummy recipe! <3