Bethenny’s Skinnygirl Workout

Right before lunch today, I decided to do something I rarely do and popped in a workout DVD!

I’ve had Bethenny Frankel’s Skinnygirl Workout DVD stashed away for more than a year now. After I got it, I opened it, put it in the drawer with our other DVDs and forgot about it.

skinny girl workout 005

(Can you tell my DVDs are on the right and Ryan’s are on the left?)

Today I was in the mood to workout but didn’t want to drive to the gym, so I figured I could do the 45-minute yoga workout in my living room.

One major problem:

skinny girl workout 019

Sadie, while fantastic at the downward dog pose, doesn’t seem to believe in people practicing yoga peacefully at home.

skinny girl workout 020

As I went through the first 10 minutes of the workout, I got body slammed several times and Sadie tried to coerce me into multiple rounds of The Hand Game.

And then a squirrel decided to run around outside and I was free! Free from doggie madness!

Bethenny’s Skinnygirl Workout

Despite my love for Bethenny, I didn’t have high hopes for the workout because I tend to get really, really bored during workout DVDs and mentally check out.

Well, this one kept my interest and I ended up doing all of the segments back-to-back for one long workout. (The DVD offers two 15-minute workouts and one 20-minute workout, which you can do individually or together.)

skinny girl workout 007

The workout was led by New York City yoga instructor Mike McArdie and Bethenny participated right along with him as he gave pointers and talked through the workout.

Bethenny didn’t just go through the motions of the workout and stay quiet. Her funny remarks made the workout much more entertaining.

Bethenny also made comments about how hard certain moves were and noted where in her body she felt certain poses working which I loved because so many workout DVDs don’t acknowledge when you feel like you’re working extra hard. I feel like I’m out of shape or something when the instructor is peppy and excitable and I’m sweating or feelin’ the burn, so it was great to have Bethenny’s “real world” voice chime in and say when she was working hard so I didn’t feel like a crazy person when I was sweating through a pose.

Plus, Bethenny seems to love the pigeon pose as much as I do!

pigeon pose

No, not that one. Winking smile

I really liked this DVD and think it would be a great one to pack if you’re traveling and won’t have access to a gym or if you want a quality at-home yoga workout at your fingertips.

Lunch

After completing my workout for the day, I immediately fixed myself lunch.

flatbread pizza

I made myself a flatbread pizza by topping a whole wheat flatbread with marinara sauce, spinach, mushrooms, fresh mozzarella and red onion.

pizza flatbread

It was fantastic!

On the side I snacked on some homemade peanut butter granola.

peanut butter granola

I ate a few handfuls before stashing the rest for later.

Question of the Afternoon

• What is your favorite workout DVD?

Comments

I love Bethenny’s 1st yoga DVD. I totally agree with you about how her voicing her opinions on certain poses helps a lot. It helps to take your mind off of the difficulty sometimes with the humor! My cat loves to curl up on my yoga mat when I start doing the standing poses!

Your pizza looks delicious! I should pick up some flat breads–it’s a great way to get rid of excess veggies in a yummy way. Also, that pic of Sadie in “downward dog” is precious. I love it.

I haven’t used a workout dvd in years, but when i was little I remember I used to “workout” with a barbie exercise video. Side note: Jennifer Love Hewitt was one of the girls exercising in the video. Haha

Oh, Sadie is such a lil yogini! Roo does lots of yoga poses, but she has to be gated off when I try to workout at home!

I like this DVD, but I actually like her first yoga DVD even better, and it has her signature commentary, too, plus a little bonus weights section at the end. It’s probably my fav. I also love Jillian’s No More Trouble Zones and Jackie Warner’s Power Circuit. I have a gym membership, but I’m totally a DVD gal!

5. Anna @ Blissfully Banana says

Oh YAY!!! I LOVE this Yoga Video, and even did a review of it on my own blog! 🙂

I definitely love the part where she says that yoga is a practice and while she cannot do the pose now, she’ll be able to do the post one day!

Oh and pigeon pose is totally relaxing to me! 🙂 Oh and I love the sense of humor through out the video. Oh and seeing her dog Cookie was cute too!

6. Karen says

Jillian Jillian Jillian, but I’m not sure which is my favorite. I rotate through 4 of them to keep from getting bored, but shorter the better… 😛 So, 30 day shred is wonderfully quick, and fully exhausting.

Workout DVD’s aren’t really my thing…I did p90x for awhile though! I’m more of an online youtube work out movement follower haha ;D Love The Tone it Up girls and Bodyrock!

• Emily Miller says

I too LOVE TurboFire! The programs really get you working hard! TurboFire is perfect when you are away from a gym. I am studying in Spain right now and I can do my TurboFire workouts right in my apartment! It’s great! I too love group classes. Zumba at my college is my favorite work out. Working out with a group or even just 1 other person really gives you a push.

I am a HUGE fan of workout DVDs. I swear by TurboFire and ChaLEAN Extreme from Beachbody. I’ve seen great results from both programs and each one has 8-10 different workouts so I never get bored. They are both great options for when you’re on vacation, or, as you mentioned, not feeling like driving to the gym.

On the other hand, I love taking live group exercises at my local YMCA. Sometimes it’s hard to push through a tough workout when you’re all by yourself at home, following a DVD. There’s something about working out in a group that keeps me accountable and makes me give that extra ten percent!

9. Kaelin says

Workout DVDs are about all I have, that and the great outdoors. So I have a TON of DVDs, but stick to Jillian Michaels, Kelley Coffee-Meyer and Bob Harper the most. They give me the most intense workout for my time and I have seem massive fitness improvements from their DVDs. My doggie knows that when Jillian is on and I am rolling on the floor, it is NOT play time haha! It took some patience, but she figured out the routine eventually.

I love all of the Crunch studio yoga/pilates workouts that are available to stream on Netflix. I have a hard enough time doing workouts at home with 2 dachshunds running around. One thinks it’s cuddle time, the other just sits as close to me as possible and stares. Then it morphs into “bite the lady’s ponytail” as soon as I try ab work on the floor. Does lifting a 16lb dog as I crunch count for extra points?

ah, welcome to my life! having a home “gym” my pups are always follow me down and get in my way. My little Boston loves to put his ball in my hands during situps.
    To date, Jillian Michaels work out dvds are my favorite. I own 7 of them and just pre-ordered her newest Kickboxing one. While she can get on my nerves she doesn’t annoy me and always leaves me a sweaty mess.
    I’ll have to check out this Bethenny dvd! For your humor, please youtube search “The Situtaion” workout dvd. Why yes, Mike from Jersey Shore has a workout dvd and the trailer is hilarious!

12. Alexa says

I am not a huge fan of workout DVD’s. But when I am not in the mood to head to the gym P90X kicks my butt. I have never done the fully program, instead just use it now and then.

Ps. Your pizza looks delicious,

13. Amanda says

I definitely choose a class at the gym or a run outside to a DVD most days, but yesterday I just wanted an extra 30 mins in bed (round trip gym commute), so I did my Jillian No More Trouble Zones DVD. It’s a 50 min workout with dynamic moves using dumbells (I use 5 and 8 lb weights) and I love it! Definitely feel it today. I also love her Banish Fat Boost Metabolism which is 50 mins of cardio circuits (think burpees, jump squats, etc). And 30 Day Shred is great when you’re short on time – the circuits are half cardio/half weights. I sound like a walking endorsement, but I feel like I get a good workout with those DVDs! Super cheap on Amazon!

My favorite Workout DVD is Jackie Warner’s Personal Training DVD. It has a 20 min lower, 20 min upper and 20 min core workout. My dog Gunner does the same thing when I do home workouts. Today I was doing some jumping jacks and he thought it meant play time and tried to jump on me. Then when I got to the floor for some ab work, he was trying to lick my face. 🙂
    My DVDs are mixed with John’s, and just last week his roommate goes “we have Varsity Blues, Rambo, WTF, how did “he’s just not that into you” and “LEgally Blonde 2” get in this mix?! haha

I love Bethenny so much!
    I started watching her on TV at the gym last winter and really enjoyedher “real” personality. I really like how she doesn’t act like she’s any different than any one else just because she’s famous!

And my dog does the same thing! It’s like the minute I start working out in the living room, she’s ready for playtime. SO funny!

16. Lola says

Insanity – one of the most intriguing and intense DVD workouts. Some of the exercises remind me of the circuit training we had at mixed martial arts practice.

I am loving Physique57’s dvds right now. It is challenging for me to complete the whole hour workout, but it’s so fast paced that I never feel like an hour has gone by (ok, 57 minutes!) but I haven’t been able to work out for a couple of weeks due to a back injury. I am actually looking forward to getting back to my workout sessions this weekend! Put those under “words I swear I’d never say…”

Ooh, I did the same as you with that dvd…stashed away for at least a year, but I don’t think I ever even opened mine. Maybe I’ll do that after work if my dogs let me :-P. I’m glad to hear it ended up being an interesting workout. I love Bethenny!

I must admit your living room tv area is nice looking! I think we have the same TV. (I can tell by that blue glowy light thing underneath haha!) Also I prefer Ryan’s taste in movies haha I love those Batman movies. So excited for Dark Knight Rises.

I love finding new workout DVDs – thanks for writing about this one! I’ve watched snippets of Bethenny on TV and she does seem entertaining. I don’t do workout DVDs very often but I do like having them on hand in case I can’t make it to the gym. Like many other commenters, I like Jillian Michaels’ DVDs. I think she gives really good cues which I appreciate. I want to try the Physique 57 DVDs next! Btw, it’s so funny too see your DVDs next to Ryan’s – there’s definitely a big contrast, haha!

I LOVE Jillian Michaels’s DVDs. They’re the only ones that ever make me feel like I’m getting a legit WORKOUT (like, a hot sweaty mess workout!)

I wouldn’t say that it’s my favorite, because the instructor is so cheesy, but I really did see results when I did the P90X program. Right now I sometimes do the workouts on OnDemand.

I just found your blog and love the energy! I also love Bethany’s Yoga DVD! It’s one of the few that I will stick with and go back to. The one I used was lead by Kristen McGee and was awesome – I was so sad when they took it off Exercise TV!

I have to say- I love me some Billy Blanks! His tae-bo videos are my favorite.

Oooo the flatbread looks amazing! I tend to buy more tortillas than flatbreads and I’m opposed to make a tortilla “pizza”. I need more flatbread (and pita) in my life!

I have quite a good collection of workout dvds (I typically do maybe one or two of the workouts a month), and some of my favorites are Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, JM 6 week 6 pack, and Turbo Jam!

My cat and dogs bug the mess out of me while I’m working out at home – thank goodness for a workout room with a door that closes!

What is it with animals… I was taping a video the other day and when I replayed it, my cat can be seen in the background rolling around in the sun and stretching. Some of my other blogger friends, their animals are bugging them while they are working out to. Cats especially love to crawl under while doing plank or downward dog. LOL.

I alllllmost bought this DVD but went with the Jillian No More Trouble Zones instead. A good DVD for when you want to do something but not go all out.

So this is a yoga DVD? I can’t quite tell from the cover. But then again, maybe I was too busy looking at Ryan’s copy of Pumping Iron. LOL

28. Angie K says

You MUST try the skinny girl white cosmo cranberry, it is really fantastic! I wasn’t a fan of the other mixes but I think this is a winner.

heheheh Oh Sadie……….ahhhh! I see sound of music and breakfast at tiffany’s! (the latter I’ve been dying to watch, never have!) 🙂

And I love Jari Love’s Get ripped DVD’s! And Rodney Yee’s Yoga Burn. It’s slow burn, but deadly burn!

I’ll have to try that DVD! Usually they have a lot of workout DVDs at my library, so I’m about to go check to see if it’s in their catalog.

My favorite workout DVD is jillian michaels’ “no more trouble zones,” although I haven’t done it in a while!

31. christina says

michael is one of the yoga instructors at my gym in NYC! seriously LOVE him and look forward to his class every week 🙂 glad you had fun with the dvd!

This post has me cracking up for two reasons…first, because my dog also makes it near IMPOSSIBLE to work out at home since he’s always chewing on my dumbbells and getting under my feet, and two because Ryan has The Fifth Element (one of my secretly all time favorite movies!)

33. Sarah says

The Sadie pictures are adorable as always and very fitting of her trying to do her yoga poses! The coloring is very vibrant in those pics, new camera or lots of good natural light?!….either way they look amazing!

The photo of Sadie in downward dog is hilarious, I guess there is a reason that the pose has that name! I’ve never actually used a workout DVD, but I love Tara Stiles’s yoga videos on youtube.

I really love DVD workouts, but I get the whole checking out. I am doing the Ripped in 30 by Jillian right now and I am really liking it.
    I saw this DVD the other day at Barnes and Noble…:)

Yummy pizza!

I do a lot of workout DVDs and right now I’m doing 6 Week Six Pack by Jillian Michael’s that I really like. Now now while I’m typing this. I mean this week.

37. Valerie @ FreshMutz says

I’m loving J.M.’s Ripped in 30. It’s the prefect quickie sweat session and I always feel it the next day (in a very marvelous way).

I can’t do most workout DVDs in my top floor apartment, but I do enjoy ones that switch things up and have a good conversational tone.

I totally noticed the separation of your and Ryan’s DVDs. Aubrey and I have two totally separate bookshelves. My brother was over one day wanting to borrow a movie and immediately went straight to Aubrey’s shelf. He said that’s where all of the “good” movies are. lol

39. Julie W says

Omg I am a HUGE Bethenny fan!! She’s hillarious!

I have trouble working out at home sometimes too because my dogs do the same thing Sadie does! They think it’s either play time or lay on me nap time lol!

40. Amy M says

Oh I love Bethenny Frankel, she is so fun to watch! My personality is pretty far removed from hers…I have such a problem being blunt — she does not!

41. Elizabeth says

I’ve been doing the Body by Bethenny DVD. I only do the 40 min yoga segment and I really like it! I do it 2x a week.

42. Maria aka Lil Mys Ninja says

I too have a cute four-legged obstacle when I work out at home. I’ve taken to the garage for my workouts now…

43. Jen N says

I love Jillian’s 30 day Shred, Ripped in 30, Boost Your Metabolism, and No More Trouble Zones. I also love Bob’s Power Yoga and his Ultimate Cardio DVD is butt-kicking. I like Chris Freytag’s Xtreme Slimdown Kickboxing workout too. I do all of my workouts at home, so I rely on these DVDs and my treadmill. 🙂

I love Bethenny’s first yoga DVD, they had it on Exercise On Demand for a while and I used to love doing it. I am a huge workout dvd fan. But you are so right about finding the right ones. I am going to have to try this one. Thanks for the recommendation. 🙂

I love P90X workouts and any video by Jillian Michaels.