Bagelicious

Wanna know a great way to kick off a Friday?

Stop at a local bagel shop and snag a toasted bagel with homemade cream cheese.

bagelicious ocala

A couple weeks ago I stopped in Ocala’s new Breadilicious bakery and fell in love with their unbelievable pastries. When I saw a sign for Bagelicious, a local bagel shop and deli, as I was driving the other day, I made a mental note to drop in sometime in the future.

Apparently local shops ending in “licious” are quite the thang in Ocala.

toasted bagel honey walnut cream cheese

On the way home from the gym, I popped in an ordered a toasted honey nut bagel with honey walnut cream cheese. I’m not sure why the bagel is a purpleish color, but I’m just going to roll with it because it tasted fantastic.

Ordering a bagel this morning reminded me of high school lunch. When I was a senior in high school, my friends and I would go off-campus for lunch and often stopped at Great American Bagel where I would order a toasted bagel, with one half topped with vegetable cream cheese (my entrée) and the other half topped with pineapple walnut cream cheese (dessert).

That counts as a serving of vegetables and fruit, right? Winking smile

Workout

Today’s workout was great! I kicked it old school and did a circuit workout. I wasn’t feeling LiveFit strength training today so I created a little combination workout that looked like this:

circuit workout

This circuit was inspired by Annette’s Outside Your Comfort Zone workout and absolutely flew by thanks to the fast pace of the workout.

I’ll be back soon with a fun giveaway this afternoon. If you like pretty jewelry (specifically the necklace I gave my bridesmaids), I think you’re gonna love this one!

Of Possible Interest

Question of the Morning

• Did your high school have off-campus lunch? If so, where would you typically go?

My friends and I typically rotated going to each other’s houses for lunch, but when we went out, we’d typically go to Great American Bagel or Billy’s Hot Dogs. (Anyone else from Palatine, Illinois a fan of Billy’s? So freakin’ good. And I’m honestly shocked they have a website.)

Comments

1. Claire says

I went to good old Glenbrook North and we had off campus for junior and senior year. I would often go to Big Apple Bagel (plain bagel toasted with veggie cream cheese and a slice of salami) or Costco for a hot dog! Great days.

That circuit workout looks killer…so obviously I can’t wait to try it. I’ve definitely been feeling the need to shake up my gym routine recently.

The bagel also sounds delicious, the combination of the honey nut bagel and honey nut cream cheese is awesome!

We did, but I also had off-campus PE right before lunch (Block scheduling, so we went all over town to different places for fitness), so I was usually out, anyway. If it was the day that I had choir instead of PE, I took a look at what the cafeteria had and determined if I wanted to eat something better (and healthier!) at home, which was two blocks away.

4. Lisa says

We had off campus privileges our senior year (which they always threatened to take away if we got too rowdy at assemblies or something). We’d usually go to our fav local bagel place that has a delicious mustard and dill sauce…mmmmm….that plus cream cheese on a garlic bagel…no wonder I didn’t have a boyfriend in high school!!! We’d alternate bagels with the organic fro-yo place (this was before fro-yo got all fancy!)

We had to stay on campus for lunch, but my mom always packed me a crazy awesome lunch with a bagel sandy and Quaker chewy chocolate chip granola bars. PS. Can we talk about how awesome it used to be to have someone pack your lunch every day?

Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) went to Hoagie Haven on the main street in my town. It was about a 10 minute walk from school, and it always had a line out the door. I would get the buffalo chicken cheesesteak or a buger. I remember it like it was yesterday…

You have a knack for making me crave things that I don’t normally eat or drink….like coffee….and bagels… Thanks for posting the circuit! I tried many of yours and love them all, even though they kick my a$$!

Yum, I’ve had a bagel hankerin’ recently, too! I just began working at a local bakery here, and a morning full of serving MULTIGRAIN croissants (as intriguingly delicious as they sound) will do that to ya …

love your blog, Julie, I’ve been reading for a while now!

wow, honey walnut cream cheese sounds heavenly. Eating bagels nowadays actually reminds me of ELEMENTARY school lunches, where on Tuesdays (I remember!) we got bagels. In HS, I’d go off campus with friends but typically to wraps/sandwich or pizza places.

My high school didn’t have the option to go off-campus; the lunch periods were only about 25-30 minutes.

I have been craving a bagel for forever! I try to avoid them because I don’t really think they fill me up the way some other breakfasts do, but I might have to just bite the bullet & get one this weekend… with extra cream cheese! :-)

11. pluvk says

Yay! I’m such a fan of your circuits, and I’ve been waiting for a new one. Looks one looks great (fun and challenging!). I’m looking forward to dying along with it. :-)

12. Erin says

We couldn’t leave school for lunch. I had early release my senior year for FFA work study, but I typically was at work or home. Nothing exciting. I didn’t even realize schools still did off-campus lunch until I moved to Wisconin and saw all the high schoolers when I’d leave work for lunch.

13. Jess says

Julie, can you do me a huuuge favor? Can you tell me how to pronounce “viszla”. I swear someone walking one this morning and was about to ask them “Is that a Sadie dog?” when I realized I have nooooo idea how to pronounce that breed haha. Thanks!

1. Go to John Pennecamp in Key Largo! I’ll meet ya there and we can snorkel and scuba (“are you for scuba?”) and visit my Poppop.

2. I’m right there with you on the personal training gig. Let’s just buy the NASM book and study together. Great. See ya there for both.

That’s so funny! We had a bagel shop called The Daily Bagel that I went to lunch at like everyday!
    I always got an all seed bagel with regular cream cheese, or sometimes veggie cream cheese or sundried tomatoe. So yummy!

16. Jenni says

Haha oh man does this post bring back memories! I, too, went to Great American Bagel & Billy’s all the time at lunch! I still go to Billy’s when I go back to visit.. delicious as ever!

Oh man! I can’t remember where we used to run off to for lunch BUT in college we had the BEST bagel stand. I used to order the sun dried tomato bagel with chives cream cheese for breakfast at least once a week!

18. Kate says

I went to Warren Township (Gurnee), and unfortunately, we did not have off campus lunch!! I will certainly try Billy’s next time I’m in the area.

We weren’t allowed to leave for lunch in high school but we did have a food court type cafeteria. There were lots of options from salad bar, to deli type stuff, Mexican food, homestyle food, ect. Of course, half the time my lunch consisted of a bag of chips and diet coke consumed in the “student center”. Really healthy, eh!!

What I LOVE about the bagel you got this morning is that the deli did not skimp on the cream cheese!!

We had off campus lunch in High School and we would always go to carls jr. because it was down the street, I never ordered anything because I always brought food with me, it more to hang out somewhere other than school.

We did not have off campus lunch. The high school I went to was brand new to a fairly new area and there wasn’t anywhere to go. Leaving meant at least a ten minute drive and we only had 30 minutes. The area is built up now, but the campus is still closed (as far as I know). I graduated 12 years ago.

We didn’t have off campus lunch. I guess I can’t really complain though because we had “Chicken biscuit Thursdays” where clubs could sell chickfila chicken biscuits in the morning as a fundraiser. Those were the days.

23. Meghan says

I’m from Palatine and I’ve never even heard of Billy’s! Hot Dog Richies is the hole-in-the-wall of Palatine that I went to for off-campus lunch! A favorite in my house!

24. Jodii says

My friend and I just did the circuit workout after we did 4.5 miles on the elliptical. We modified it a little bit, and did each thing for one minute, with 20-30 seconds rest. I’m so beat right now, I can barely get off the couch! :) Thanks for sharing it with us.