House Without A Key

Ryan and I had only one requirement for last night’s dinner. We wanted to enjoy our evening meal with a view of the ocean.

After hearing a handful of recommendations for House Without A Key, we decided to walk over to the nearby restaurant and grab a table outside for an early dinner.

house without a key waikiki 006

house without a key waikiki 009

house without a key waikiki 008

We were escorted to a table outside and immediately loved the atmosphere of the restaurant.

house without a key waikiki 010

house without a key waikiki 011

We enjoyed the beautiful views and live music while trying new-to-us beers.

I fell in love with the Fire Rock Pale Ale.

house without a key waikiki 012

While we waited on our entrées, Ryan and I dug into the bread basket (so good!) and shared a bowl of tomato soup.

house without a key waikiki 014

house without a key waikiki 016

The idea of tomato soup kind of grosses me out (I feel like I’m eating a bowl of tomato sauce), but this soup tasted more like a bisque and was perfectly creamy. Ryan ordered it for himself initially, but after I sampled a bite and gave it rave reviews, he offered to share and I happily accepted. I didn’t even have to bust out the whole “we’re married, so what’s mine is yours” spiel.

I’m pretty sure Joey Tribiani would hate me. “Joey doesn’t share food!” house without a key waikiki 018

For my main course, I ordered the Cajun spiced shutome (swordfish) with a tomato, caper and onion relish.

house without a key waikiki 020

Can you tell I liked it?

house without a key waikiki 022

Fresh fish and fresh seafood is, without a doubt, my favorite type of food to order at a restaurant. Ryan and I eat a lot of salmon at home, but we rarely (if ever) prepare fancy fish or shellfish, so ordering it at a restaurant always seems to appeal to me!

House Without A Key knows a thing or two about how to prepare fish because my swordfish was incredibly flavorful. The chef did a great job of highlighting the natural flavor of the fish and kicking it up a notch with the fresh tomato caper relish. I was a fan.

After dinner, Ryan and I spent some time out and about in Waikiki and had a wonderful evening.

Plans for today include exploring the North Shore!

P.S. The Fashion page was updated.

Comments

I went to Hawaii in 2010. It spoiled me on fish. The fish in Hawaii is so much fresher and better prepared than anything I have had here on the mainland! I could not believe the difference….and I couldn’t get enough of it! Well….the fish, the pineapple, AND those baby bananas!!!! Hope you are having a wonderful time….sure looks like you are having some delicious treats. All the best!

I love swordfish!! Only had it once but it was so good…I can only imagine what it is like in Hawaii near the ocean 😉 ps your dress is super cute! I love a good maxi!!

ha! My husband is SO not a food-sharer. He will always give me a bite of what he orders (and it’s usually something I would never order) but is never, ever interested in actually splitting entrees. I have friends (a married couple) that ALWAYS order two dishes and split them equally. I’m so jealous!

4. Lily says

I am so happy that you guys are exploring Hawaii! My partner and I are trying to plan a trip to Hawaii, but I keep getting overwhelmed trying to decide what island to go to–Ohau is looking great, can’t wait to read the rest of your Hawaii posts and then maybe Nate and I can make some concrete plans. Thanks for literally testing the waters–I know it looks like a hard job :)

5. Christina says

OH MY GOD THAT DRESS!!! WHAT?! ITS AMAZING!! Also, thank you for the amazing updates as I’m sure I’m not the only reader who is enjoying living vicariously through you during your beautiful vacation….

LOVE the dress!! Such an amazing cut and colour for you! Way to absolutely rock it!!

I eat a pescatarian diet, so fish is a total staple. However, I’m pretty frugal and am always buying frozen fish. Fresh fish is seriously the most fabulous treat. When it’s cooked right — like biting into perfection. Yum!!

7. lyn says

i’ve always wondered, who takes your guys pictures (i’m assuming it’s just randoms?) and how do you ask someone?! i’m so shy that i wouldn’t have a clue what to say!

8. Carly says

I love that scene of Friends! I will now be sitting on youtube watching multiple Friends videos! Hahaha!!

And just like everyone else-I’m in love with that dress. You look adorable in it!

that dress makes you look ten feet tall in your first picture! like everyone else said, love the color and cut of it! please more posts so I can pretend I am in Hawaii instead of rainy new england.

10. Jacki says

Now I know why my husbands middle name is Joseph, he doesn’t share his food either! I usually just want a taste, but he always says to get my own! I don’t want a whole “sandwich” or whatever…sheesh!

Looks like your weather there is great. We went there for our 25th anniversary and it was the only time Hawaii ever had tornados. some of the beaches were washed out, our rental car was flooded into the parking lot, too cloudy to helicopter, too muddy to hike, too murky to scuba. Lucky for us it was our anniversary….

Just have to say that you really pull that dress off well…I’d never manage that! It sounds like you two are having a great time. I love that, even on vacation, the two of you find ways to stay active together :) Enjoy the rest of the trip!

12. Jordan says

cute dress, but you guys look SO sunburnt — don’t forget to wear sunscreen! you’ve posted about skin cancer in the past, so i know it’s really important to you.

13. Alexis says

This is actually my very first visit to your blog (just found it on Fitnessista today!) but I actually live in Honolulu! Wish I’d seen your site sooner to give advice, but if you go back to North Shore (not sure if you’ll have more time on your own since you’re doing a press trip) you absolutely MUST eat at Waialua Bakery in Haleiwa! It is life-changing. My best friend from NYC still randomly texts me that she can’t stop thinking about her sandwich from there and even in NYC she can’t find anything to compare to it:)

Hula Grill in Waikiki is another great beach-view dinner spot. Their poke tacos are to.die.for. Actually, a whole meal of just pupus (appetizers) is our favorite thing to do because their pupus are that good.

Sansei’s, in the Marriott, has our favorite sushi on the island. Though Roy’s is pretty great too!

I’ve done most of the hikes around Oahu so if you’re planning to do another, less tourist-filled, hike while you’re here just reply and I can suggest some:)

Lastly, I don’t know how I missed your blog bc I’m a vizsla lover:) We have a doberman and a vizsla! My hiking buddies.

• says

thanks so much for your comment!! i’d love another hike recommendation! i think we may do maunawili falls tomorrow.

and we’re going back to the north shore (we were just there today!) before we leave, so i’ll definitely look for waialua bakery. :)

• Alexis says

I don’t know why my response posted down below, but its down there:) Also wanted to say… my perfect day on North Shore: Park on the roadside just after Shark’s Cove (Banzai beach/Pipeline). There’s a bike path there that’s about 4 miles long. Do a long run down it and back, passing all the beautiful, hidden beaches. After the run, go jump in the water to cool down! Then change into your bathing suit and lay out for a couple of hours before going to Waialua Bakery for a club sandwich (I forgot to mention they bake and grow almost everything on the menu!), mint lemonade, and monster cookie:) Tons of dogs are always on the beach there too, and there’s a vizsla male who I often see there!

14. Alexis says

Maunawili falls is beautiful, as is Manoa falls (a little more dramatic as its taller) which is also close to Waikiki. Be prepared to get crazy muddy on either of those hikes though! You may want to save those for towards the end of the trip in case you want to wear your shoes more during the trip (like for the gym, if just going to use them for other hikes then the mud is fine!). We’ve gotten a lot of rain lately so it’ll be a mud pit, but a lot of our trails are! Also, both of those hikes will be pretty crowded and typically have a lot of kids. But the falls are great to see!

I often take my visitors to the Pillbox Hike over Lanikai. It’s short but the views are awesome! The Kaunala Trail on North Shore is probably my favorite. Also awesome views! Kaena Point is fun to do for sunset. You’ll almost always see seals, the waves are awesome, and it’s literally right where the sun sets. My husband and I like to bring wine and glasses along for it:)

Enjoy!!:)

I used to think that about tomato soup as well like it was some kind of hot ketchup and water mixture but now I absolutely LOVE it! I always order fish when dining out because restaurants just prepare it better than myself so I stick to fish when dining out and chicken at home. Love and Shine CourtStar

16. Lisa - your friend Down Under says

Julie, I must say, you look stunning – however, you
    a l w a y s do!
    I am a long time fan of your blog – I find your lifestyle inspiring, fun and wholesome :) This entry on your blog made me (and I say, MADE me) reach out (finally), to say as much and also, I went to Hawaii around this time last year for my partner’s brother’s wedding. I now adore Hawaii (a lil farther away from the ‘Mainland’ than you) but can just imagine how you’re lovin’ it there. Im reliving my experience from your photos!
    Well done Ryan for your flight – you’ve got it all sorted with the headphones and pillow!
    You both look great – keep shining on, beautiful couple that you are!
    From your friendarooni in Australia – Lisa :)
    PS: If you’re up for a major b’fast some time, I have to suggest Eggs ‘n Things, across the way from Tiffany’s. Great service and delicioso (and large!) b’fast fare! :)

Your trip is sounding so exciting and wonderful. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. One question. Who is taking all the pictures of the two of you standing together? Do you use a self timer or do you ask passersby to take your photos? Just curious how you do that.

18. Jill @ Life in Big Bites says

Love Kona Brewing Company! The Fire Rock Pale Ale is my favorite, but the Koko Brown and Wailua Wheat are also pretty amazing.

I live in DC, so it’s nice to have a bit of Hawaii here when I can get it. ; )