Five Miles Before Six

Ryan and I headed to the gym nice and early this morning. To stay on track with my half marathon training plan, I needed to run five miles today and managed to complete my run on the treadmill before 6 a.m.

Five miles before six!

During the last two miles of my run, some pretty stellar songs popped up on my iPod thanks to a new workout playlist.

Some favorites:

I took some time to create a new running playlist last Friday and the new music did a good job of motivating me throughout my run. I still need to add a few more songs so the playlist is long enough for next Saturday’s half marathon, so if you have any song recommendations, I’d love to hear them!

yurbuds ipod

Past workout playlists:

Breakfast this morning came together in no time at all thanks to some prep work last night.

Overnight Oats with Banana

Overnight oats topped with banana slices!

banana overnight oats

After snapping this photo, I ended up adding more almond milk to the oats because they were a little too sticky and needed some more liquid. (We’re all out of chia seeds at the moment, so I didn’t use as much almond milk when I made the oats last night since the chia seeds usually help to thicken the oats a bit.)

oats overnight

Melting Pot Giveaway Winner

Congratulations to…

• Maggie: “CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE!”

Please email me at pbfingers@gmail.com with your mailing address and we’ll get your $100 gift card to you right away!

Of Possible Interest

Question of the Morning

• What song is pumping you up lately?

Comments

A playlist can totally change my attitude about a run! Whenever I make a new one, I am itching to get out the door and run to listen to it. I like my overnight oats super runny so I always add way too MUCH almond milk and they usually end up soupy.

Wow–nice work on the 5 miles before 6!!

I love (almost) anything Usher, Flo Rida, Rihanna, PitBull, Backstreet Boys, Lady Gaga, or Pink. (Esp “Scream” “Whistle” and “Blow Me one Last Kiss”& “Titanium” right now)

3. Mikaela says

Do you happen to know if those headphones are sweat/waterproof? I’ve killed a few pairs before due to my excessive sweating and those look really nice but don’t want to dish out the money if I’m just going to break them. Thanks!

4. Lauren says

Personally I love listening to great Christian music. My two faves in the am are Good Morning by Mandesa and Toby Mac and I love Lecrae – Dont Want to Waste My Life and Trip Lee – One Sixteen. They are great rap beats without the ho’s and bros’! :-)

5. Emma says

My favorite song to listen to at the beginning of my run is “Where the Streets Have No Name” by U2. Something about the opening chords is very spiritual and inspiring for me. And all the motivation you need is right there in the first three words of the song, “I wanna run…”

6. Claire says

I am just curious why you go to the gym before six when spend all day at home?? But that is very impressive I find I can make it to the gym that early but my workout suffers and I can’t push myself as hard as I would if I had a few extra hours of sleep. Do you have any pointers on having an efficient workout that early in the morning?

7. Hannah says

Hi Julie!

Here are two song suggestions for you:

Radioactive- Imagine Dragons
    Invincible- MGK feat. Ester Dean

They are on my running playlist and get me pumped!

8. mel says

I am also training for a half and ran 11 miles this weekend on the treadmill (live in Wisconsin). These are some songs from my playlist: take it off – the donnas; dog days are gone – florence and the machine; rude boy – rhianna; die young – kesha; i like it – enrique iglesias; izzo, run this town, dirt of your shoulder – jay-z;

Great playlist! I am also in training for a half marathon but run in the evenings. You are hard core motivated to run 5 before 6:00. Way to go!

Playlist must: The Darkness – I believe in a thing called love.
    Pumps me up and gives me permagrin which confuses people watching me run.

Are you a Black Eyed Peas fan or Fergie? My last half marathon playlist was a mix between Fergie/Black Eyed Peas and Glee songs… It carried me through the entire thing! :) I can send you my playlist if you’re interested :)

11. Christine says

What time do you go to bed, typically? Some nights I have trouble falling asleep and when the alarm goes of in the a.m. I’m dragging. How many hours of sleep do you aim for? Thanks!

Good luck on the marathon. During this round of training, I am trying not to have music. It has been really hard, but I think if I can do most of my runs (Minus long runs) without music, I will be able to get a lot out of having music.

13. Laura says

Whenever I hear “Club Can’t Handle Me” by Flo Rida I feel like I can do anything! Also “Kanye’s Workout Plan,” which kind of disturbs me as I consider myself a feminist and that song is…well, horrifying.

14. Samantha says

2012 party megamix. I also love running to different mash ups like the super mash brothers. they mix different songs and different beats. most have awesome beats to run to!

And if you want a new artist to fall in love with, I highly recommend Timeflies. Up beat songs and they started on youtube!

Also, for some reason I really like listening to Owl City when I run because of the fun beats.

Kind of off topic, but I was wondering if you had a plan sketched out when you trained for your first 1/2 marathon on a treadmill. I’m doing my first 1/2 in DC this March, but I like in NY and it’s freeeezing. I was hoping that your treadmill training plan might help =)

16. Nicole says

I’m not usually a fan of techno, but this song is blowing up the Top 40/POP stations in Minneapolis. I put it on my iPod and I felt a nice boost when running to it!
    Swedish House Mafia – Don’t You Worry Child

17. Michelle says

My favorite playlists are from Rock My Run – they are more like dance mixes so you get about 1/2 of a song before it’s mixed into a different song. I love it for my short attention span, I like a song for about a minute and a half and then I’m bored and want to move on. The best part is the playlists are 30, 60 & 90 mins in length and they are cheap (compared to purchasing each song via Itunes) – I believe the 30 min playlists are 1 credit (each credit is $1.00). 60 = 2 credits and 90 = 3 credits. They have a wide variety of genres to choose from, I really enjoy it.

Love reading your blog! I feel like I connect with you on many levels! Plus I just recently started blogging more! please feel free to check out my blog and give any negative or positive feedback!!!

These are a few songs I have recently added on my playlist!

Scream & Shout- will I am (feat. Britney Spears)
    Va Va Voom – Nicki Minaj
    Flower-Moby
    Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz)
    Oath (feat. Becky G)-Cher Lloyd
    Ready or Not- Bridgit Mendler

I love running the morning! It’s so cool to see the sun come up and the world come alive. I usually only do 3 or 4 miles run though because I’m not willing to get up early enough to cover any more miles. Kudos to you–impressive!

20. Bonnie Lawrence says

i am loving running to Peter Furler -I’m Alive
    and Brandon Heath – Might just save your life
    and Rhett Walker – Make me new
    ENJOY :-)

21. peaches says

Wasn’t impressed with the selection provided so I decided to give you mine.
    You won’t be disappointed

Die Antwoord – Fatty Boom Boom
    Die Antwoord – Babys On Fire
    Die Antwoord – I Fink You Freeky
    Die Antwoord – Fok Julles Naaiers
    ^watch the music videos
    Chase & status – Time (rocker pimp remix)
    Diplo – Express Yourself
    Kanye – Clique
    Kanye – Monster
    Azealia Banks – 212
    Azealia Banks – No Problems
    Diplo – Set it off
    Crystal Castles – Empathy
    Ratatat – Gettysburg
    Ratatat – Kennedy

You’re welcome

22. Valerie says

Here are a few running / workout songs that motivate me to keep moving:

Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol (Best running song EVAH!)
    Face Down by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
    The Fighter by Gym Class Heroes
    Higher by Creed
    Move Along by The All-American Rejects
    Not Afraid by Eminem
    Try by Pink
    Boom by P.O.D.

23. Renee says

Down the Road by C2C– recently heard the song on an OPI nail polish commercial but it is so catchy! Thanks for motivating me to update my workout playlist! Going to be a good run today!