Five Miles Before Six

Ryan and I headed to the gym nice and early this morning. To stay on track with my half marathon training plan, I needed to run five miles today and managed to complete my run on the treadmill before 6 a.m.

Five miles before six!

During the last two miles of my run, some pretty stellar songs popped up on my iPod thanks to a new workout playlist.

Some favorites:

I took some time to create a new running playlist last Friday and the new music did a good job of motivating me throughout my run. I still need to add a few more songs so the playlist is long enough for next Saturday’s half marathon, so if you have any song recommendations, I’d love to hear them!

yurbuds ipod

Past workout playlists:

Breakfast this morning came together in no time at all thanks to some prep work last night.

Overnight Oats with Banana

Overnight oats topped with banana slices!

banana overnight oats

After snapping this photo, I ended up adding more almond milk to the oats because they were a little too sticky and needed some more liquid. (We’re all out of chia seeds at the moment, so I didn’t use as much almond milk when I made the oats last night since the chia seeds usually help to thicken the oats a bit.)

oats overnight

Melting Pot Giveaway Winner

Congratulations to…

• Maggie: “CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE!”

Please email me at pbfingers@gmail.com with your mailing address and we’ll get your $100 gift card to you right away!

Of Possible Interest

Question of the Morning

• What song is pumping you up lately?

Comments

Wow, you are quite accomplished this morning. I really need to start making time in my morning to get more workouts in instead of waiting until after work. Whenever I work out in the morning I always feel more accomplished, have more energy, and am more ready to tackle the day. Getting out of my warm bed in the a.m. is just SO hard, though! 😉

Hi Julie!
    I have just discovered your blog over the last week. I LOVE it! I think we may be kindred spirits 🙂 I started my blog barely a month ago, and all your “blogging” tips and even your layout have given me so many great ideas. Thank you for being willing to share! I also read the article about how Ryan deals with your blogging, and how you have learned to balance your passions with him! I appreciated that too (just got married in September). Anyway, just wanted to say thanks! I love your blog- keep it up!
    Laura

3. Jennie says

I just added “new” songs to my workout playlist too…some “old school” Outkast (Hey Ya and I like the Way You Move), Destiny’s Child, and Kanye West (Workout Plan…prob one of my fav running tunes). Hope this helps!

I seriously look up to you for motivation to work on my running. I love how you don’t consider yourself a hardcore runner, but still manage to really incorperate it into your workout routine. I’m currently at 2 miles, trying to get to a 5k by February!

5. Katherine says

Hi! I have a question about your overnight oates,are they cold? Or can you heat them?
    Thank you!
    Also, I apparently have really small ears and have a hard time gettng earbuds to stick as well as hear anythng. Do you have similar issues and do the yurbuds help?
    Thanks!

• says

you can heat them, but i really prefer them cold! one of my coworkers would make them and then heat them in the microwave for 10 seconds in the morning to “take the edge off.” 🙂

and i’ve never really had issues with headphones in the past, but the i would think the yurbuds might help you out because you almost twist them into your ears. they’re really comfy and don’t move at all. they feel a lot more secure than other headphones i’ve tried.

• says

I had been waiting 4 years for the YMCA in m town to get it. . . I am sure I sounded like a broken record always asking when they were going to start teaching it. I already teach aerobics there, so pretty much at every staff meeting I would bring it up. They finally started teaching it this summer and now I am going to do the training so I can teach it too! It was always hard for me to read on your blog when you were doing it regularly before you moved. . . keep mentioning it to people at your gym – you never know!

My current workout pump up song is Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars. The second it starts playing through my buds I get an instant pick up. It’s just so upbeat and energetic.

Not quiiiiiiiiiite a perfect running song, but I’m LOVING “I Knew You Were Trouble” by Taylor Swift lately!

Ps. is your half marathon training plan listed on the blog somewhere? I’m just wondering how many weeks out you usually start training.

• says

I am 100% with Joelle on this one. I’ve been jamming to “I Knew You Were Trouble”, including singing it to my husband who then proceeds to give me a funny look because clearly he stuck around and wasn’t “trouble”. 😉 I’ve been meaning to add this song to my own playlist because I know it’s going to give me that extra boost in my workout. Although, I also know that I’m undoubtedly going to lip-sync it during my workout for all of my fellow gym-goers to see. Hehe. 😀

I am so impressed with you—- 5 miles before 6 am! Now that is one highly motivated gal. Way to go, Julie! My get moving song these days is “Get Up” by Ciara and Chamillionaire.

9. Dianna says

I absolutely love Rise Against “Give It All” It fits in the rock genre, but the lyrics and tempo get me going. You might like it 🙂

10. Christine says

I’ve been playing the following songs on repeat at the gym lately:

Scream & Shout (Featuring Britney Spears) – Will.i.am
    Beauty and a beat -The beebs (Justin Bieber)
    Beautiful People Remix – Chris Brown and Benny Benassi
    Only one – Sammy Adams

These songs all pump me up! Good luck!

11. Dana says

Some stuff (ok, a lot of stuff) from my playlist (sorry if it’s repetitive to yours but may help others!). And don’t hate on my old school stuff ;):
    Knock You Down – Keri Hilson/Kanye (I jog to the beat)
    Club Can’t Handle Me – Flo Rida
    Till the World Ends – Britney
    Scream, More – Usher
    Shark in the Water – VV Brown
    Ayo Technology – 50 Cent/Justin
    Bailamos – Enrique Iglesias
    Bang Bang Bang – Christina Perri
    Blow Me One Last Kiss – Pink
    Don’t Turn Around/Anything by Ace of Base
    Dead and Gone – TI/Justin
    Diamonds Are Forever – Kanye/Jay Z
    Don’t You Want Me – Human League (don’t hate.. you will smile when it comes on!)
    Excse Me Mister – No Doubt
    Crazy In Love – Beyonce
    Buddy Holly – Weezer
    Locked Out of Heaven – Bruno Mars
    Caramel – City High
    Starships – Nicki Minaj

12. Emily B says

I’ve been obsessing over “Who Dat Girl” by Flo Rida. I know it’s old but it makes me feel gorgeous when I run lol. I secretly imagine that I’m that girl. And it’s just so upbeat!

Before 6? Way to go! I don’t think I can help in the song department. I am an old soul, and mostly listen to stuff from the ’60s and ’70s. It’s getting to where I hardly ever recognize songs or artists that are current. All three songs & artists you listed above? Yeah, never heard of ’em.

14. Kaelee says

Emeli Sande is great! Adding it to my list! A few songs on my playlist that pick up my step every time are Wonderland by Natalia Kills, Va Va Voom by Nicki Minaj (or any of her radio hits), B.O.B. by Outkast, Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men, Work It Out by Jurassic 5 & Dave Matthews, and Let’s Hear It for the Boy (if you love Footloose) by Deniece Williams. Good luck with your training!

15. Heather says

If you’re into upbeat, poppy techno (which seems to be the trend lately), the new Will.I.Am and Britney Spears song is pretty catchy (Scream and Shout)! Always gets me dancing whenever I hear it working out or even at my computer.

16. Lindsay says

Thrift Shop by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis! You must put that on your play list and I dare you not to get funky while running. Poppin tags!

17. Megan says

“My Body” by Young the Giant has been my favorite running song for the past couple of months. It really is a great motivator! And the beat is killer to run to!!

I think you are both amazing and CRAZY for being able to get up and finished with a workout before 6am. I am lucky if I’m human before 6am! But I am loving some of these song suggestions. My recent favorites have been from the new Nashville soundtrack (LOVE that show), which I have been listening to on repeat recently!

Oof. Five miles before 6 a.m. is impressive enough, never mind five miles on a dreadmill! Nice work!

I downloaded “Gonna Fly Now” (the Rocky theme song) a while back. One of my better life choices. There’s nothing that pumps me up quicker when I’m working out than hearing that song!

20. Audra says

I’m in the middle of training for a half marathon and was just thinking during yesterday’s run that I need some new songs to make it through the rest of training – so glad to find all these new suggestions!

Some of my favorites are “Untouched” by The Veronicas, “Something That I Want” by Grace Potter (Tangled soundtrack), and any of the Jock Jam megamixes from the 90’s (had to dig up some old CDs for those).

I don’t know how you work out so early! After reading this I realize my half marathon is coming up and I should probably start some training runs. I printed it out and am starting today. 10 miler on Sunday already, ugh.

A playlist can totally change my attitude about a run! Whenever I make a new one, I am itching to get out the door and run to listen to it. I like my overnight oats super runny so I always add way too MUCH almond milk and they usually end up soupy.

Wow–nice work on the 5 miles before 6!!

I love (almost) anything Usher, Flo Rida, Rihanna, PitBull, Backstreet Boys, Lady Gaga, or Pink. (Esp “Scream” “Whistle” and “Blow Me one Last Kiss”& “Titanium” right now)

24. Mikaela says

Do you happen to know if those headphones are sweat/waterproof? I’ve killed a few pairs before due to my excessive sweating and those look really nice but don’t want to dish out the money if I’m just going to break them. Thanks!

25. Lauren says

Personally I love listening to great Christian music. My two faves in the am are Good Morning by Mandesa and Toby Mac and I love Lecrae – Dont Want to Waste My Life and Trip Lee – One Sixteen. They are great rap beats without the ho’s and bros’! 🙂

26. Emma says

My favorite song to listen to at the beginning of my run is “Where the Streets Have No Name” by U2. Something about the opening chords is very spiritual and inspiring for me. And all the motivation you need is right there in the first three words of the song, “I wanna run…”

27. Claire says

I am just curious why you go to the gym before six when spend all day at home?? But that is very impressive I find I can make it to the gym that early but my workout suffers and I can’t push myself as hard as I would if I had a few extra hours of sleep. Do you have any pointers on having an efficient workout that early in the morning?

28. Hannah says

Hi Julie!

Here are two song suggestions for you:

Radioactive- Imagine Dragons
    Invincible- MGK feat. Ester Dean

They are on my running playlist and get me pumped!

29. mel says

I am also training for a half and ran 11 miles this weekend on the treadmill (live in Wisconsin). These are some songs from my playlist: take it off – the donnas; dog days are gone – florence and the machine; rude boy – rhianna; die young – kesha; i like it – enrique iglesias; izzo, run this town, dirt of your shoulder – jay-z;

Great playlist! I am also in training for a half marathon but run in the evenings. You are hard core motivated to run 5 before 6:00. Way to go!

Playlist must: The Darkness – I believe in a thing called love.
    Pumps me up and gives me permagrin which confuses people watching me run.

Are you a Black Eyed Peas fan or Fergie? My last half marathon playlist was a mix between Fergie/Black Eyed Peas and Glee songs… It carried me through the entire thing! 🙂 I can send you my playlist if you’re interested 🙂

32. Christine says

What time do you go to bed, typically? Some nights I have trouble falling asleep and when the alarm goes of in the a.m. I’m dragging. How many hours of sleep do you aim for? Thanks!

Good luck on the marathon. During this round of training, I am trying not to have music. It has been really hard, but I think if I can do most of my runs (Minus long runs) without music, I will be able to get a lot out of having music.

34. Laura says

Whenever I hear “Club Can’t Handle Me” by Flo Rida I feel like I can do anything! Also “Kanye’s Workout Plan,” which kind of disturbs me as I consider myself a feminist and that song is…well, horrifying.

35. Samantha says

2012 party megamix. I also love running to different mash ups like the super mash brothers. they mix different songs and different beats. most have awesome beats to run to!

And if you want a new artist to fall in love with, I highly recommend Timeflies. Up beat songs and they started on youtube!

Also, for some reason I really like listening to Owl City when I run because of the fun beats.

Kind of off topic, but I was wondering if you had a plan sketched out when you trained for your first 1/2 marathon on a treadmill. I’m doing my first 1/2 in DC this March, but I like in NY and it’s freeeezing. I was hoping that your treadmill training plan might help =)

37. Michelle says

My favorite playlists are from Rock My Run – they are more like dance mixes so you get about 1/2 of a song before it’s mixed into a different song. I love it for my short attention span, I like a song for about a minute and a half and then I’m bored and want to move on. The best part is the playlists are 30, 60 & 90 mins in length and they are cheap (compared to purchasing each song via Itunes) – I believe the 30 min playlists are 1 credit (each credit is $1.00). 60 = 2 credits and 90 = 3 credits. They have a wide variety of genres to choose from, I really enjoy it.

Love reading your blog! I feel like I connect with you on many levels! Plus I just recently started blogging more! please feel free to check out my blog and give any negative or positive feedback!!!

These are a few songs I have recently added on my playlist!

Scream & Shout- will I am (feat. Britney Spears)
    Va Va Voom – Nicki Minaj
    Flower-Moby
    Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz)
    Oath (feat. Becky G)-Cher Lloyd
    Ready or Not- Bridgit Mendler

I love running the morning! It’s so cool to see the sun come up and the world come alive. I usually only do 3 or 4 miles run though because I’m not willing to get up early enough to cover any more miles. Kudos to you–impressive!

40. Bonnie Lawrence says

i am loving running to Peter Furler -I’m Alive
    and Brandon Heath – Might just save your life
    and Rhett Walker – Make me new
    ENJOY 🙂

41. peaches says

Wasn’t impressed with the selection provided so I decided to give you mine.
    You won’t be disappointed

Die Antwoord – Fatty Boom Boom
    Die Antwoord – Babys On Fire
    Die Antwoord – I Fink You Freeky
    Die Antwoord – Fok Julles Naaiers
    ^watch the music videos
    Chase & status – Time (rocker pimp remix)
    Diplo – Express Yourself
    Kanye – Clique
    Kanye – Monster
    Azealia Banks – 212
    Azealia Banks – No Problems
    Diplo – Set it off
    Crystal Castles – Empathy
    Ratatat – Gettysburg
    Ratatat – Kennedy

You’re welcome

42. Valerie says

Here are a few running / workout songs that motivate me to keep moving:

Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol (Best running song EVAH!)
    Face Down by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
    The Fighter by Gym Class Heroes
    Higher by Creed
    Move Along by The All-American Rejects
    Not Afraid by Eminem
    Try by Pink
    Boom by P.O.D.

43. Renee says

Down the Road by C2C– recently heard the song on an OPI nail polish commercial but it is so catchy! Thanks for motivating me to update my workout playlist! Going to be a good run today!