Elementary School Memories

We’re about to take a trip down memory lane, but first let’s dig into lunch.

IMG_1810-001

Yesterday Ryan and I had a small group of friends over to hang out and play board games. Everyone brought some snacks to share and we had a few Publix chicken tenders leftover in our fridge today, so I chopped them up and tossed them on top of a spinach salad.

IMG_1809-001

I topped my salad with Bolthouse Farms honey mustard yogurt dressing! After I tried Bolthouse Farms’ yogurt Caesar dressing and loved it so much, I bought the honey mustard dressing a couple of weeks ago and it’s fantastic as well. So flavorful!

Elementary School Memories

Earlier this afternoon Michelle sent out a tweet about Voyage of the Mimi.

Yes, that Voyage of the Mimi.

voyage of the mimi

(Source)

For those of you who are unaware of the magic that is Voyage of the Mimi, it is an educational series starring a young Ben Affleck as CT. When I was in sixth grade, I remember watching the crew aboard the Mimi follow humpback whales and fight hypothermia.

Voyage of the Mimi days, when my teacher would roll out the TV strapped to the cart, were the best.

TV cart

I can still hum the glorious theme song!

Smiling about Voyage of the Mimi memories today made me think about my other elementary school favorites.

• Number Munchers: As someone who hated math in grade school (and in life), this game fooled me into thinking multiplication was the BEST THING EVER.

Number munchers

(Source)

Out Numbered

(Source)

• Oregon Trail: The game to end all games. Did anyone ever beat this game? Or did you all die of dysentery, too?

Oregon Trail Game

For a laugh check out this link I stumbled upon when I was searching for the images to include in this post: 10 Ways ’90s Kids Made It Through Elementary School. Ha!

Question of the Afternoon

• Do you remember loving certain educational games or movies in elementary school? Please share your favorites!
  • Teachers and/or parents: What games are students loving these days? Please tell me there’s an Oregon Trail 2.0.

Comments

1. Jennifer F says

I sometimes wish I could walk into work and see the TV strapped to the cart. I remember the Oregon Trail, I always wanted to play that game even though I always died too!

2. Christina says

OutNumbered! I have been trying to explain this game to my husband for years and could never remember the name! I think he thought I was crazy! Lol LOVED this one!

3. Amber says

I’ve been following your lovely blog for months, but have never responded:). I absolutely loved Voyage of the Mimi!!!!! I grew up in Alaska and figured it was only an Alaskan thing ;). Thanks for taking me down memory lane. And, thanks for providing insightful, humorous posts each day. You’re a talented writer, athlete, and all around great person. I know we would be great friends if we ever met!!

Amber
    Kindergarten teacher

4. Chelsea says

The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis was easily my favorite computer game of childhood- this is especially relevant considering I just saw and impulse-bought it for $8 just last week. And then played it. For two hours.

Math and logic based, but also had these really fantastic squidgy blue smurf-type guys called Zoombinis and they were totally adorable.

There were a couple others- one with a robot that had like, three different versions? But I can’t remember their names.

5. Amber says

Oh my gosh, I was obsessed with Oregon Trail. I finished the game a few times when I played at home, but only because I would literally go look up or ask someone what to do in all of the medical situations (my dad taught Biology so he totally helped me win). 🙂 I am a 5th grade teacher now, and I tried to get the game for my students, but the only one I found was for older computers. 🙁

Oh my goodness Number Munchers! I had all but forgotten about that game! It was a tight fight between it and Oregon Trail for first place in my favourit learning games of Elementary school!

Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m looking to start my own
    blog soon but I’m having a hard time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
    P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it’s tough to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you’ve done a very good job with this.
    Additionally, the blog loads super quick for me on
    Firefox. Exceptional Blog!