Elementary School Memories

We’re about to take a trip down memory lane, but first let’s dig into lunch.

IMG_1810-001

Yesterday Ryan and I had a small group of friends over to hang out and play board games. Everyone brought some snacks to share and we had a few Publix chicken tenders leftover in our fridge today, so I chopped them up and tossed them on top of a spinach salad.

IMG_1809-001

I topped my salad with Bolthouse Farms honey mustard yogurt dressing! After I tried Bolthouse Farms’ yogurt Caesar dressing and loved it so much, I bought the honey mustard dressing a couple of weeks ago and it’s fantastic as well. So flavorful!

Elementary School Memories

Earlier this afternoon Michelle sent out a tweet about Voyage of the Mimi.

Yes, that Voyage of the Mimi.

voyage of the mimi

(Source)

For those of you who are unaware of the magic that is Voyage of the Mimi, it is an educational series starring a young Ben Affleck as CT. When I was in sixth grade, I remember watching the crew aboard the Mimi follow humpback whales and fight hypothermia.

Voyage of the Mimi days, when my teacher would roll out the TV strapped to the cart, were the best.

TV cart

I can still hum the glorious theme song!

Smiling about Voyage of the Mimi memories today made me think about my other elementary school favorites.

• Number Munchers: As someone who hated math in grade school (and in life), this game fooled me into thinking multiplication was the BEST THING EVER.

Number munchers

(Source)

Out Numbered

(Source)

• Oregon Trail: The game to end all games. Did anyone ever beat this game? Or did you all die of dysentery, too?

Oregon Trail Game

For a laugh check out this link I stumbled upon when I was searching for the images to include in this post: 10 Ways ’90s Kids Made It Through Elementary School. Ha!

Question of the Afternoon

• Do you remember loving certain educational games or movies in elementary school? Please share your favorites!
  • Teachers and/or parents: What games are students loving these days? Please tell me there’s an Oregon Trail 2.0.

Comments

1. Karen says

Wow – used to play OutNumbered all the time! I remember that scene clear as day with the swiggly electric cord. Also used to play Maniac Mansion all the time with my sis. SO fun.

Voyage of the Mimi takes me back! I specifically remember that hypothermia episode! The humpback one was the best because whales were my favorite animals (hence the reason I am a dolphin trainer for a living). In terms of other childhood games I learned to type in elementary school using “Sticky Bear Typing.” Anyone else have that one?

Oh my god! I absolutely died laughing when I saw the cart on the TV…I had totally forgotten about those and yes, without a doubt, they were the BEST days when you saw the tv at the front of the classroom! Hahahahahah thanks for the reminiscing!

OH.MY.GOSH!!!! Oregon Trail was my all time favorite, I used to beg to go to the library on the weekends so I could play it. My absolute favorite grade was 4th because we played a re-life version of the Oregon Trail in my classroom, it was awesome!

Oh, I just love childhood memories! I’m quite embarrassed to admit I have absolutely no idea what Oregon Trail is…maybe it’s not a Canadian thing? I do remember number munchers! Now that was awesome. And I loved those little computer games…dang I forget what they’re called now…I’m totally going to have to google it now.

I use to play all of those games when I was in elementary school. I would have never remembered the name of any of the though. I remember when I was in the 4th grade, we would have a computer lab class every other day and the first person who was able to finish the Oregon Trail game would get a special prize. I’m not sure anyone every actually finished it though. It was definitely a lot harder than it seemed!

7. Rachel says

Number munchers!!! How could I forget? I was also a big fan of Type to Learn. I always played it safe in Oregon Trail and actually recall winning a couple times after successfully paddling through those rapids at the end. Aaahhh the memories…

8. Lindsay says

Never heard of the “Mimi” show. I did, however, LOVE Outnumbered and Oregon Trail! Thanks for bringing back those carefree memories! 🙂

9. Molly says

Hey, there is a Number Muncher iPhone app! It has great reviews too! I’m going to download it tonight for sure. Thanks for bringing that game back into my mind, I remember sitting and playing it on the library computers. Good times.

Oregon Trail was the BEST GAME EVER in Elementary school. I still talk about that game fairly regularly and miss it terribly. I used to beat it a lot, the trick was to increase your portions when you were sick and rest a lot! haha. I remember number munchers too, another classic. I miss my childhood!

Awesome post!!! You have both my favs listed – oregon trail and number munchers!!! Your lunch brings back memories of medical residency for me when the hospital cafeteria would have chicken fingers, I would always get 1 or 2 and make the most awesome salad with them — with honey mustard dressing too. YUM!

12. Shannon says

oohhhh, elementary school. I loved playing math blaster, and I thought type-to-learn was the best thing ever. Boy did my teachers have me fooled!

Woah! Blast from the past!

I loved Oregon Trail- especially when you finished your work early and got to go play it on the computers until everyone else was done!

14. Lisa W. says

My all time favorite game when I was in elementary school was Treasure Mountain. I remember playing that game for hours! I loved Oregon Trail, too!

15. kate hewitt says

Kath, this is my first post… so let me take a second to introduce myself and say how much i LOVE following your blog. I truly tell my girlfriends that when we all start having babies, I want to live our lives similar to Kath and her friends… you guys seem to have a great balance and one that does still include lots of friends time! I also could not resist commenting on the Vouyage of the Mimi… this literally made me fall out of my chair I was laughing so hard! I remember watching this series and those TVs rolled out on wheels… what a great place this post took me back to… thank you so much for that little walk down memory lane, all the way back to Elementary school!!! Oh and Oregon trail might have been one of my most favorite games to play with my dad as a little girl, well that and “Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego,” that was another good one. Did you ever play that one?

Oregon Trail ftw!! I think there was an Amazon River version too that I played just as much, if not more. And Zoo Tycoon. I hated all the other tycoons, but I loved building the zoo tycoon exhibits. Like obsessively.

17. kate hewitt says

Oh my goodness… I am SO very sorry I got my bloggers mixed up… ohhh boy such is a Monday right! Where is my brain. hahaha!!! I am So sorry and super embarrassed that I just did that. That sure teaches me to read the fine lines a bit more as to which blogger I am reading =) I hope that you are laughing right now inside or outside as well. I also love following your blog… it was actually the first one I ever subscribed to!!

18. Jenn says

I attribute my ability to type fully to Mario Teaches Typing. I loved that game!

I also made a reference to Carmen Sandiego the other day in my classroom (I’m a high school English teacher) and my kids had NO IDEA what I was talking about. A part of me wanted to cry!

19. Missy says

Oregon Trail was one of my favorites. Where in the is Carmen Sandiego? I was best at world. I got so good I didn’t need to look up clues. I had all that stuff memorized. Exports, flags, etc. I had everything down cold. Number Munchers was another one of my favorites.

Other educational goodies. Schoolhouse Rock. They had an anniversary recently and a free concert. I didn’t go but reading the article brought me back.

20. Heather says

Ok that totally just made my day, I had completely forgotten about those games! My parents had ALL THREE computer games on our home computer, and the math ones were my fav. I’m assuming that makes me a huge nerd 😛

I loved Oregon Trail!!! I used to stay home from school just to play it haha! And watch Price is Right which I still watch to this day. Ever day.

Oh, those television sets. Lights go out and you start passing notes to friends. Best days ever. Specifically, I remember watching West Side Story and Billy Nye the science guy, “Bill! Bill! Bill!” Anyone…?!

22. Erin says

Omg, I had completely forgot about voyage of the Mimi!!!! Never occurred to me that it was Ben affleck though? I remember the episode where they made a solar water still to get fresh water on the island. Love love love oregon trail too! I miss those days sometimes!

23. Megan says

I felt like the biggest geek loving Number Munchers and Troggle Trouble…and Math Blasters! But I would’ve played it all day long. My kindergarten class was the first a my school to get to use a reading program on computers back in 1986 and we thought we were super cool.

I remember these games, but not because I was playing them, my students were. In the 90’s while you were a student, I was the teacher…5th grade to be exact and my students loved all the games you mentioned. MY kids (who are now teenagers) grew up with computer games. Some of their favorites were Club Penguin, Reader Rabbit, and Freddi the Fish. Now my son has his own YouTube channel where he uploads all his gaming videos like MineCraft, Skyrim, COD, etc. http://www.youtube.com/user/BaldingMammal/featured
    Things sure have changed…I didn’t even have a computer in my elementary school! 🙂

25. Katie says

My favorite game was Zoombinis Logical Journey. It was the game everyone loved to play during indoor recess. I remember there was even a sign up sheet to play since it was so popular!

26. Karen DiSantis says

Oregon Trail was the best! I also lovedddddddddd Lemonade Stand! 🙂 I played them on those awful computers with green/yellow text and images… all games were on those lovely 8-in. floppy disks! LOVED going to class those days!

OMG!!! OutNumbered!! I never knew anyone else but my sister and I who played that (the whole series of them actually). Loved that game… Hehe, I always thought educational games were the BEST!

28. Cori says

Had to post when I saw the Voyage of the Mimi reference!!! Loved it in 5th grade. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t there a blond woman character that had one leg but was an amazing scuba diver?

29. sabrina says

Voyage of the Mimi was our 7th grade science class. I think the only other thing we learned was how to take care of the class bunny. I can not believe that Ben Affleck was in that series. Memories!

Also, we were a little older but in high school we spent one day a week watching “Muzzy.” He was a gigantic blue muppet/monster that taught us how to speak spanish!

30. Lisa says

I’m probably showing my age here (LOL), but I loved watching Square One Television and playing Where In the World is Carmen Sandiego? (and I don’t mean the t.v. show they aired on PBS.). And I do remember the t.v.’s on the rolling carts.

Ha! I’d forgotten all about OutNumbered! I used to love that one too. Did you ever play the one where you run a cookie factory? I can’t remember the name but it always made me hungry. 🙂

I seem to remember an epidosde of VOTM where the crew had to make fresh water from seawater using a little condensation contraption they invented. I hope I never find myself in a situation where I am that desperate for fresh water, but I will forever thank VOTM for the knowledge. Too hilarious:-)

33. Lauren says

Voyage of the Mimi! Ah, sixth grade memories. I totally remember the hypothermia episode, but can’t remember what we were supposed to learn from watching the series…

Ahhh, Oregon Trail! I loved that game! I actually got so obsessed with the game and history of the Oregon Trail that my family planned a week long camping trip along the remnants of the Trail in Oregon and Washington (I’m from Washington State). It was so cool to see!

35. jen says

OMG outnumbered was my FAVORITE!!!! i can still here the music in my head, and that creepy robot that would make you do math facts…totally stressed me out, but man i loved that game! i would totally buy it now if i could find it…they should come out with the old school computer games again, haha

This is the best post I have read on the blogosphere in a long time. I was obsessed with Number Crunchers, Oregon Trail and (of course) Voyage of the Mimi. I totally know what you mean about the TV cart with wheels. Kids today are missing out.
    I actually went so far as to try to find number crunchers and oregon trail online for download. Number crunchers is MIA but there are online versions of old school Oregon Trail floating around. Is it still super fun and educational? No. IT’S BETTER. We used to play it in college and intentionally let ex boyfriends get dysentery or cholera. When the pressure of computer class is off it is SO fun to caulk the wagon and float- total lottery, I love it.
    Haha your post was hilarious, obviously I am super enthusiastic about 90s computer games and have been waiting for a forum like this to come up so I could voice my closeted obsession. (kidding!)

37. Leah says

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!! I just had to google the Voyage of the Mimi to try and convince by husband that he MUST have watched it during school…he still insists he didnt! Every single item on that list made me laugh, because it is all so true!

OMG! I used to love Voyage of the Mimi! And I totally forgot about it! It made me want to visit the tropics so badly, I’ll never forget watching that guy going through the compression chamber after scuba diving so he didn’t get the bends. Educational and entertaining!

39. Jenny says

There’s a new (?!) version of Oregon Trail out for iPad called “Organ Trail” – it’s a post zombie apocolypse based game based off of the classic… 8 bit graphics and all

I must have been out of the loop because the only thing I remember from this list is Oregon Trail. Oh gosh, elementary school…I think that is when pogs were big. That and friendship bracelets.

VOYAGE OF THE MIMI!!! I remember that – we watched it in sixth grade too! Oregon Trail was my absolute favorite game…..I got past the dysentery a couple of times, only to drown while crossing the last river on a raft!

I was thinking about The Voyage of the Mimi the other day and could not for the life of me remember the name! I remember watching it on those giant laser discs!

I know this seems silly, but my Mimi (my grandmother) passed away a few days ago , and I saw this post as a little hello from her, since I read your blog daily. So thanks for unknowingly bringing a smile and happy tear to my face. 🙂 ps I was a big fan of Oregon Trail and as a fellow math hater, Number Munchers definitely made it less miserable. 😉

Ahhh! The days when we played Oregon Trail in computer class were the BEST (on some of the very first Apple–Macintosh–computers). I had the game at home, too, and literally spent hours a week playing it. Pretty sure I drowned more often than not–or died of dysentery. I also loved Carmen Sandiego and Reader Rabbit!

Hahaha. I’m a substitute teacher, and nothing makes ME happier than showing an educational movie (when the teacher has neglected to leave sub plans). Happy kids, happy teacher! Anything in the Planet Earth or National Geographic series does the trick.

We used to watch Bill Nigh the Science Guy in class! I never really liked it, but it meant no teaching! Haha! We also used to play a multiplication game called pineapple rings where in a ring there would be all the numbers from 0-12 and the teacher would call out a number and you had to multiply that number by the numbers on the ring and whoever was fastest won. So much fun!

I love this post! It had me smiling and reminiscing of some of my favorite childhood memories. We used to play a math game called “Around the World” when I was in elementary school and it was my favorite! I have 2 nieces and 3 nephews and kids today are so different! They are into iPhones, iPads, iPods and laptops. They don’t play any of the games I used to play. I tried to show them the Atari and Pacman…they weren’t interested. haha

I absolutely love when I have leftovers from another meal that I can add to a salad. My favorite “leftover” salad ingredient is probably roasted brussel sprouts. I even like them cold! If you love the Bolthouse yogurt dressings and haven’t tried the ranch version, you really should. It is great!

49. Jill says

We used to watch Bill Nye all the time! The funny thing is that I work in the schools and the kids love him just as much today, albeit they are watching him on a DVD or YouTube now :).

50. Stacey says

I LOVED voyage of the mimi!!! and outnumbered!!! I didn’t remember the name but I remember the guy. ah such fun memories. Bolthouse farms dressings are amazing. I actually had tuna for lunch and mixed some dijon mustard and 2 tbsp of the yogurt ranch. It was so delish!!!

51. kathrine says

I’m so glad you put up Outnumbered!!! I’ve been trying to remember the name of that game for months! My husband thought I was crazy when I tried explaining the plot to him… thank you for putting me out of my misery!!!

School House Rock! I can’t say I loved it but I surely remember it like it was yesterday. I’m pretty sure there’s no forgetting Conjunction Junction or The Preamble!

53. Fiona MacDonald says

Oh man Voyage of the Mimi was te best!!!! I really thought I might be the once person who ever watched that movie!! I remember seeing Ben Affleck in a movie years later and thinking ‘ugh that guy was in Voyage of the Mimi!!!’classic!!

54. Meg says

I played Outnumbered non stopped… I can still remember the hallway music vs the challenge room music… I beat that game so many times! Also, I remember playing Number Munchers and Oregon Trail in elementary school. Great memories.

I must have been the only kid who didn’t love Oregon Trail- between you and me, I couldn’t wrap my head around it haha! Another favorite was Mavis Beacon- nerd alert ;)!

56. Paige says

OMG I have been trying to figure out what the name of that program is for a VERY long time!! I used to sing the theme song throughout elementary school! Some of my favorite 4th grade memories are from that show being played by the TV strapped to a cart. Although I remember the show being played from these huge disks, similar to records, which I thought was a bit strange. Good to know we share that memory!

That “rolling out the tv” photo is hilarious, and sooo true.

I taught grade 6 over the past five years, and one day I had to use this old machine because the concept I we were covering was documented perfectly on a VHS clip. A couple kids looked at the VCR and said, “Ms. K…what is that?” hahah

Math Blasters and Oregon Trail!! I know there were some other ones out there that I would use my JOYSTICK to control my beastly window computer : ) Oh and the best part of growing up in the 90s… Having a young Paul Walker shirtless as the wall paper on my computer. Sighhh

59. Susanna Clark says

Reading Rainbow will forever be one of my favorites. I also loved the video about learning how to use conjunctions and such, “conjunction junction whats your function” LOL

Oregon Trail was the best!!

Like others, I remember Math Blasters as my favorite educational game. I remember it involved space and aliens and blowing things up and math problems. What could be a better combination?

61. Alisha says

I loved Oregon Trail.. I never won the game! Did anyone ever play The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary? It was in middle school when I played it so definitely around mid-90’s. I’ve never heard of anyone knowing this game besides people that went to the same middle school haha

Luckily, I got to grow up in the TV-Strap days, but that’s really all I remember. None of this 🙁
    These days, it’s all about technology for us. Although reading through that link, I can say we definitely have had experience with Glue Fingers and Scholastic Book Orders (those were the BEST). For my school at least, a LOT is done with computers and iPads.

I had a minor freak out when I read “Voyage of the Mimi.” And then the theme song started playing in my head.
    omg, we loved it! We used to play Voyage of the Mimi on the playground after school. Looking back it was actually super nerdy.
    I definitely remember Number Munchers and I don’t think there’s anyone our age that didn’t play Oregon Trail. I never heard of OutNumbered, but I recognize the character. He’s the same guy from Gizmos and Gadgets. We also used to play Math Blaster all the time in camp.
    I had two versions of Oregon Trail after the original. The last one I played was in like 97 or something and came on CDROM for windows along with Amazon Trail. I’m sure they’re still making newer versions.

I LOVE the picture of the TV strapped to the cart. Soooo true that whenever the TV cart was in the classroom, everyone would be asking, “Is it a movie day?!” Too funny!

I remember the Number Munchers game but my personal favorite on indoor recess days was typing games! For some reason, I enjoyed competing with myself trying to get faster and faster at typing. I think back to those days whenever someone comments on my unnatural speed while returning e-mails 🙂

Ha! I played OutNumbered too! Now that I have kids of my own I think to myself that games like that were really a genious way to get us to learn things. My son has a few math/reading games but none of them are nearly as cool as the one we had!

Oh my gosh! Voyage of the Mimi! The only thing I remember from that show is that drinking salt water dehydrates you, and they built some sort of contraption to collect condensation to drink. No one ever seems to remember the Mysterious Cities of Gold…that was my favorite show when I was about 4-5!

67. Jennifer F says

I sometimes wish I could walk into work and see the TV strapped to the cart. I remember the Oregon Trail, I always wanted to play that game even though I always died too!

68. Christina says

OutNumbered! I have been trying to explain this game to my husband for years and could never remember the name! I think he thought I was crazy! Lol LOVED this one!

69. Amber says

I’ve been following your lovely blog for months, but have never responded:). I absolutely loved Voyage of the Mimi!!!!! I grew up in Alaska and figured it was only an Alaskan thing ;). Thanks for taking me down memory lane. And, thanks for providing insightful, humorous posts each day. You’re a talented writer, athlete, and all around great person. I know we would be great friends if we ever met!!

Amber
    Kindergarten teacher

70. Chelsea says

The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis was easily my favorite computer game of childhood- this is especially relevant considering I just saw and impulse-bought it for $8 just last week. And then played it. For two hours.

Math and logic based, but also had these really fantastic squidgy blue smurf-type guys called Zoombinis and they were totally adorable.

There were a couple others- one with a robot that had like, three different versions? But I can’t remember their names.

71. Amber says

Oh my gosh, I was obsessed with Oregon Trail. I finished the game a few times when I played at home, but only because I would literally go look up or ask someone what to do in all of the medical situations (my dad taught Biology so he totally helped me win). 🙂 I am a 5th grade teacher now, and I tried to get the game for my students, but the only one I found was for older computers. 🙁

Oh my goodness Number Munchers! I had all but forgotten about that game! It was a tight fight between it and Oregon Trail for first place in my favourit learning games of Elementary school!

Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m looking to start my own
    blog soon but I’m having a hard time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
    P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it’s tough to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you’ve done a very good job with this.
    Additionally, the blog loads super quick for me on
    Firefox. Exceptional Blog!