Elementary School Memories

We’re about to take a trip down memory lane, but first let’s dig into lunch.

IMG_1810-001

Yesterday Ryan and I had a small group of friends over to hang out and play board games. Everyone brought some snacks to share and we had a few Publix chicken tenders leftover in our fridge today, so I chopped them up and tossed them on top of a spinach salad.

IMG_1809-001

I topped my salad with Bolthouse Farms honey mustard yogurt dressing! After I tried Bolthouse Farms’ yogurt Caesar dressing and loved it so much, I bought the honey mustard dressing a couple of weeks ago and it’s fantastic as well. So flavorful!

Elementary School Memories

Earlier this afternoon Michelle sent out a tweet about Voyage of the Mimi.

Yes, that Voyage of the Mimi.

voyage of the mimi

(Source)

For those of you who are unaware of the magic that is Voyage of the Mimi, it is an educational series starring a young Ben Affleck as CT. When I was in sixth grade, I remember watching the crew aboard the Mimi follow humpback whales and fight hypothermia.

Voyage of the Mimi days, when my teacher would roll out the TV strapped to the cart, were the best.

TV cart

I can still hum the glorious theme song!

Smiling about Voyage of the Mimi memories today made me think about my other elementary school favorites.

• Number Munchers: As someone who hated math in grade school (and in life), this game fooled me into thinking multiplication was the BEST THING EVER.

Number munchers

(Source)

Out Numbered

(Source)

• Oregon Trail: The game to end all games. Did anyone ever beat this game? Or did you all die of dysentery, too?

Oregon Trail Game

For a laugh check out this link I stumbled upon when I was searching for the images to include in this post: 10 Ways ’90s Kids Made It Through Elementary School. Ha!

Question of the Afternoon

• Do you remember loving certain educational games or movies in elementary school? Please share your favorites!
  • Teachers and/or parents: What games are students loving these days? Please tell me there’s an Oregon Trail 2.0.

Comments

1. Stacey says

I LOVED voyage of the mimi!!! and outnumbered!!! I didn’t remember the name but I remember the guy. ah such fun memories. Bolthouse farms dressings are amazing. I actually had tuna for lunch and mixed some dijon mustard and 2 tbsp of the yogurt ranch. It was so delish!!!

2. kathrine says

I’m so glad you put up Outnumbered!!! I’ve been trying to remember the name of that game for months! My husband thought I was crazy when I tried explaining the plot to him… thank you for putting me out of my misery!!!

School House Rock! I can’t say I loved it but I surely remember it like it was yesterday. I’m pretty sure there’s no forgetting Conjunction Junction or The Preamble!

4. Fiona MacDonald says

Oh man Voyage of the Mimi was te best!!!! I really thought I might be the once person who ever watched that movie!! I remember seeing Ben Affleck in a movie years later and thinking ‘ugh that guy was in Voyage of the Mimi!!!’classic!!

5. Meg says

I played Outnumbered non stopped… I can still remember the hallway music vs the challenge room music… I beat that game so many times! Also, I remember playing Number Munchers and Oregon Trail in elementary school. Great memories.

I must have been the only kid who didn’t love Oregon Trail- between you and me, I couldn’t wrap my head around it haha! Another favorite was Mavis Beacon- nerd alert ;) !

7. Paige says

OMG I have been trying to figure out what the name of that program is for a VERY long time!! I used to sing the theme song throughout elementary school! Some of my favorite 4th grade memories are from that show being played by the TV strapped to a cart. Although I remember the show being played from these huge disks, similar to records, which I thought was a bit strange. Good to know we share that memory!

That “rolling out the tv” photo is hilarious, and sooo true.

I taught grade 6 over the past five years, and one day I had to use this old machine because the concept I we were covering was documented perfectly on a VHS clip. A couple kids looked at the VCR and said, “Ms. K…what is that?” hahah

Math Blasters and Oregon Trail!! I know there were some other ones out there that I would use my JOYSTICK to control my beastly window computer : ) Oh and the best part of growing up in the 90s… Having a young Paul Walker shirtless as the wall paper on my computer. Sighhh

10. Susanna Clark says

Reading Rainbow will forever be one of my favorites. I also loved the video about learning how to use conjunctions and such, “conjunction junction whats your function” LOL

Oregon Trail was the best!!

Like others, I remember Math Blasters as my favorite educational game. I remember it involved space and aliens and blowing things up and math problems. What could be a better combination?

12. Alisha says

I loved Oregon Trail.. I never won the game! Did anyone ever play The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary? It was in middle school when I played it so definitely around mid-90′s. I’ve never heard of anyone knowing this game besides people that went to the same middle school haha

Luckily, I got to grow up in the TV-Strap days, but that’s really all I remember. None of this :(
    These days, it’s all about technology for us. Although reading through that link, I can say we definitely have had experience with Glue Fingers and Scholastic Book Orders (those were the BEST). For my school at least, a LOT is done with computers and iPads.

I had a minor freak out when I read “Voyage of the Mimi.” And then the theme song started playing in my head.
    omg, we loved it! We used to play Voyage of the Mimi on the playground after school. Looking back it was actually super nerdy.
    I definitely remember Number Munchers and I don’t think there’s anyone our age that didn’t play Oregon Trail. I never heard of OutNumbered, but I recognize the character. He’s the same guy from Gizmos and Gadgets. We also used to play Math Blaster all the time in camp.
    I had two versions of Oregon Trail after the original. The last one I played was in like 97 or something and came on CDROM for windows along with Amazon Trail. I’m sure they’re still making newer versions.

I LOVE the picture of the TV strapped to the cart. Soooo true that whenever the TV cart was in the classroom, everyone would be asking, “Is it a movie day?!” Too funny!

I remember the Number Munchers game but my personal favorite on indoor recess days was typing games! For some reason, I enjoyed competing with myself trying to get faster and faster at typing. I think back to those days whenever someone comments on my unnatural speed while returning e-mails :)

Ha! I played OutNumbered too! Now that I have kids of my own I think to myself that games like that were really a genious way to get us to learn things. My son has a few math/reading games but none of them are nearly as cool as the one we had!

Oh my gosh! Voyage of the Mimi! The only thing I remember from that show is that drinking salt water dehydrates you, and they built some sort of contraption to collect condensation to drink. No one ever seems to remember the Mysterious Cities of Gold…that was my favorite show when I was about 4-5!

18. Jennifer F says

I sometimes wish I could walk into work and see the TV strapped to the cart. I remember the Oregon Trail, I always wanted to play that game even though I always died too!

19. Christina says

OutNumbered! I have been trying to explain this game to my husband for years and could never remember the name! I think he thought I was crazy! Lol LOVED this one!

20. Amber says

I’ve been following your lovely blog for months, but have never responded:). I absolutely loved Voyage of the Mimi!!!!! I grew up in Alaska and figured it was only an Alaskan thing ;) . Thanks for taking me down memory lane. And, thanks for providing insightful, humorous posts each day. You’re a talented writer, athlete, and all around great person. I know we would be great friends if we ever met!!

Amber
    Kindergarten teacher

21. Chelsea says

The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis was easily my favorite computer game of childhood- this is especially relevant considering I just saw and impulse-bought it for $8 just last week. And then played it. For two hours.

Math and logic based, but also had these really fantastic squidgy blue smurf-type guys called Zoombinis and they were totally adorable.

There were a couple others- one with a robot that had like, three different versions? But I can’t remember their names.

22. Amber says

Oh my gosh, I was obsessed with Oregon Trail. I finished the game a few times when I played at home, but only because I would literally go look up or ask someone what to do in all of the medical situations (my dad taught Biology so he totally helped me win). :) I am a 5th grade teacher now, and I tried to get the game for my students, but the only one I found was for older computers. :(

Oh my goodness Number Munchers! I had all but forgotten about that game! It was a tight fight between it and Oregon Trail for first place in my favourit learning games of Elementary school!

Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m looking to start my own
    blog soon but I’m having a hard time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
    P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it’s tough to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you’ve done a very good job with this.
    Additionally, the blog loads super quick for me on
    Firefox. Exceptional Blog!