Hello, Sheriff

I’m beginning to feel like some pretty unusual things happen to me after I fall asleep. And by unusual I mean freaky.

Remember the time Ryan had me convinced someone broke into our apartment as we were asleep upstairs in Orlando? And the time our doorbell went off randomly in the middle of the night?

Well, in the middle of the night last night, our doorbell rang. Ryan and I awoke and Sadie flipped out and ran around the house like a looney, as usual. We stayed in bed while Sadie ran to the front door barking her face off.

Then, from our place in bed, we saw what looked like the light from a flashlight shining in our windows. Weird. The doorbell rang again and Ryan walked out to see what was up and a sheriff was at the door.

Ryan spoke with her and she explained that the police received a 911 call from a cell phone and when they traced the call’s location, it appeared to be coming from our property.

What?

Ryan assured her that neither of us called the police nor heard anything suspicious around our house and thanked her for coming out to check on everything. Needless to say, we were both a little unnerved when it came time to fall back asleep. I really hope everything is okay!

Pumpkin pancakes for breakfast!

Healthy Pumpkin Pancakes

Honey whole wheat pumpkin pancakes, that is!

Pumpkin pancakes

Topped with a bit of syrup and slivered almonds.

Of Possible Interest

Comments

Oh jeeze…were you able to fall back asleep? I hope you were able to get a little rest. Mmm pumpkin never gets old!!! My cold banana apple oatmeal with peanut butter was good this morning but warm pancakes sound pretty darn nice too for a girl in chilly Montana weather! Have a good Thursday πŸ˜€

That is super weird! At least you know they can track your cell phone in case you ever do call 911 from it!
    I’m surprised she didn’t come in to check the house. I know where I live, officers have to check the whole house to make sure the person that answers the door isn’t lying.
    I bet you’ll be tired today!

3. sara says

HOLY COW!! poor sadie probably couldn’t sleep either :) one time we had our smoke alarms go off in the middle of the night for about 30 seconds, the hubs checked the whole house and found nothing—plus we had just changed the batteries the month before! i was so nervous to go back to sleep, but thankfully it hasn’t happened again!! well as long as you don’t count me burning food πŸ˜‰

Wow! Haha our dogs would’ve gone crazy too. One time in the middle of the night I woke up to go to the bathroom, and I heard some weird sound coming from the basement. I freaked out, woke my husband up, and told him I was convinced someone was down there. He went downstairs to check it out, and it was just our water softener doing what it normally does. Lol I just started laughing.

A few months ago I had a police barge into my house at 2 am saying someone from my house called saying that 2 children were in trouble and needed help. An officer seems to show up once every few months in the middle of the night saying someone called, it’s so freaky. I’m convinced someone’s trying to play a prank on me.

While that in itself is pretty creepy – I’d be more worried about the fact that there’s obviously a problem with them tracking phones. If someone called needing help and they traced the call to the wrong location, that’s scary! Hope everyone was OK.

7. ali says

When I moved to Gainesville in the summer I started having the same problem with my doorbell. It would ring in the middle of the night (only at night) but when we checked, nobody was there. I disconnected it and it stopped happening so I tried connecting it again and it happened again! I no longer have a doorbell… At least I haven’t seen a flashlight or the sheriff come to my door, that would have freaked me out!

8. Maggie says

That’s crazy! The same thing actually happened to me and my fiance a couple of weeks back! We were lying in bed watching Downton Abbey and there was a knock at the door and when he went to answer it there were about 5 firefighters and EMTs trying to get into our apartment because they received a 911 call from our apartment. We live in a big complex so they may have heard the location wrong, but it was definitely very unnerving.

You guys get the weirdest wake up calls. Hope everything is all right! Maybe the 911 caller WAS on your property (like, in front of the sidewalk or in the street-area?), but left?

10. Cathryn says

I live in a renovated mill building and anytime my neighbors go up the stairs I hear it. Needless to say when I’m alone at night I always think the ghost from Paranormal Activity is going to grab me out of bed until I fall asleep. The pancakes look awesome! I brought some pumpkin back into my life this morning with pumpkin protein smoothie :)

11. Christina says

I just started reading your blog after Old Navy posted it on Facebook. I have enjoyed reading your posts and also going back and reading older ones about Sadie. We live in North Florida and are active runners with a Vizla name Dash. His personality seems very similar to Sadie! Love it that you include her in all of your posts!

Wow! That is creepy! I’ve actually had two scary doorbell ringing experiences. One was our first year of marriage in the middle of January. We were sleeping and around 3 am our doorbell rang, and like Sadie, our dog Bentley, went CRAZY! (Deff. makes you more scared when your dog flips out) the person proceeded to ring the bell and then tried opening the door. We called the police and it happened to be some drunk college kid who thought that his friends lived in the house we were in and wanted to come in. It was snowing outside and he was barefoot and in his PJ’s.

The second one happened about a year ago while I was at home by myself. We were living in a duplex at the time and someone new had just moved next to us. I was sitting at home watching the bachelor and all of a sudden my doorbell rings, before I could take a peak to see who it was, it rang again, and again and then the ringing turned into heavy pounding on the door. I called my husband and called the police and the dispatcher was telling me to get in a spot in my house and hide until the police got there. I seriously thought I was done for. Finally, the door opens and it’s my husband and the first thing he asks me was “did you order a pizza?” Apparently, my new neighbors didn’t specify their new address well enough and the pizza delivery GIRL was the one banging on my door because she thought I was the one who ordered the pizza. At that point all I did was cry into my husbands chest out of relief that it wasn’t some crazy phsyco. I still wonder why all the banding and dramatic approaches to getting someone to come to the door were necessary. It was just a pizza. When I look back on this story I laugh now, but it was so scary in the moment! lol

Oh I hate when freaky stuff like that happens. You’re lucky you have someone with you! I hide under my covers…like that is going to do anything! Ha! Those pancakes look pretty incredible!

Crazy! I’m glad everything’s ok! The last time I had a sheriff knock on our door was last Christmas when he showed us that a car had crashed into our yard and truck. When I saw the lights flashing through the windows my first thought was to hide the liquor and guns. :) It’s quite a freaky feeling!

That is freaky! I would be unnerved too! When I was young and living in California, my mom (who was extremely homesick for Alabama) called 911 in her sleep. The police did not believe my dad that it was a false alarm and they came in and checked my brother and I (and of course my poor mom) to make sure we were alive.

I am already scared of the dark so things like that would put me over the edge!!! That is crazy, freaky and scary. I hope everything is alright as well!!! Maybe the dispatcher just did a bad job of tracing the cell phone to the correct place. Positive thinking, here :-)!!

Few after reading this story and the one where you guys thought someone was breaking in I’m a little freaked out! Hope you are able to take a nap or something today! Eek! Those pancakes look so good. Have you tried the popular 2-ingredient pancake recipe? I tried it yesterday for breakfast and really liked it although it doesn’t keep me full for very long :)

So scary. I hope everything is okay! I’d be completely unnerved; I’m a worry wart to begin with. I live alone in a city (a safer part, but a city nonetheless) but have thankfully had no strange things happen like that. My building is very secure, but you just never know!

19. Christine says

Glad everything turned out okay, Sadies such a good girl, trying to protect you guys πŸ˜‰ Two months ago some teens were throwing random bricks into peoples windows at 3am in the duplex I live in! Thankfully no one was hurt but my friend was shaken up because her infant sleeps near a window and the brick was thrown in the window below them! What is wrong with people!? Thankfully, they caught the teens!!

I’m laughing as I picture Sadie going nuts. Dogs don’t seem to care what time it is, they can always muster up great energy, even from a dead sleep. Wish I could do that! I do hope everything is okay. I don’t think I would have been able to sleep after that.

That’s scary! I lived alone for a year with my son (1 year old at the time) and I heard loud “gun shot” sounds coming from our back yard. Looking back I have no clue why I was stupid .. I mean brave enough to go outside but I found my neighbors shooting off fireworks. It was November! Good Grief. I hope everything’s okay!

22. Caroline says

That is so scary!! My dog reacts the same way whenever the door bell rings. He freaks out!! It usually annoys me to no end, but it’s times like that when I am thankful that he lets whoever is on the other side of that door know he’s there. Gives me a safe feeling having such a terrific watch dog :) …..Love your website btw!

Yikes, that is so scary! While I was away at college my parents were sleeping one night when they heard a big bang. They went into the kitchen and saw that the sliding glass door was slightly open and a chair on our back patio had been knocked over. They called the police who said it looked like someone tried to break in, but got spooked when they made the noise. You would think after that my parents would get an alarm system, but noooo they’re old fashioned and still believe in leaving their windows open at night for a “cool breeze” because it’s nice outside!

That sounds really scary! I’m glad Ryan and Sadie were home with you. Do you have an alarm system? My parents had me get one and there have been many times when I am very thankful I have it. The peace of mind it gives me is worth the monthly cost for sure!

The same thing happened to my friend one time and it turned out that mice had chewed through a telephone line at their house, which somehow triggered calling 911. Really strange! Hopefully whoever called from their cell is okay!

26. Sabina says

Almost the same thing happened to my mom’s neighbor just a few weeks ago. They awoke to two police officers pounding on their door wanting to arrest him! Turns out, they were looking for the previous owner of the house – didn’t even bother to ask him for id! Took some time, but it was eventually resolved. Scary!

I love how you jump from that story to… PANCAKES!
    It would only freak me out because she said the call came from your property… Has this cop ever seen ‘When A Stranger Calls’?!

28. Ali says

I wouldn’t be that worried about it. Cell phone signals bounce off of different towers and many times when police track where a phone call came from on a cell phone (using cell phone towers that pick up the signal) the location is incorrect because the signal from the tower is wrong.

29. Ann says

So hard to sleep after something like that, you picture every possible bad thing happening. Glad you are up safe and sound! Question, do you every have a desire to get into the whole ‘juicing thing?’ Or RAW diet? Or even the ‘food combinding’ menu’s? I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this! Thank you!

30. Rachel says

Just to give you the other side’s thoughts… I’m a paramedic and we’re used to people not knowing their address/not updating their address/etc so we often end up waking people up that didn’t call 911. Or the house is poorly marked :-) just be glad they knocked and didn’t break the door down!

Ahhhhh scary!! There’s no way in hell I would have been able to get back to sleep after that. I bet Sadie would be a good guard dog though, or at least she would jump into your arms and ‘protect’ you.

We live in an apartment on the main floor of my parent’s house and we heard our screen door slam in the middle of the night about a month ago. When my fiancee looked outside, he didn’t see anything. The next morning my boss asked if we were okay – she heard there was a rash of burglaries in our neighborhood. I have a feeling whoever tried to break in got scared off when he realized there were people living right behind that back door! Secretly, I hope I’m just nuts and it was nothing at all!

33. Renee O. says

My in-laws had something similar happen. We were all next door to their house for a party and a police officer showed up and said that a call came in from their land line phone. No one could ever explain how it happened.

I would not have been able to get back to sleep after that….that’s insane! P.S. Those pumpkin pancakes look awesome…I think I will be making some of those this weekend :)

That’s so scary! One time, I had a night terror and I was convinced that there were people in our house trying to kill me and my family. I had stayed up half the night hiding under my blankets waiting for them to find me!

Um. That would freak me the heck out. I don’t think I could go back to sleep. Especially if my husband was out of town at the time. I swear freaky stuff only happens at night when he’s gone.

I actually had something very similar happen to me about 2 years ago. I was studying for a final on a Friday night (my wife was at a birthday party) when I heard a very sharp knock on the front door. Butters went nuts and started barking and I was very startled, and after I recovered I opened the door to find two police members standing there. They told me that they had received a 911 call from my house that consisted of a woman screaming a few things and hanging up the phone. I told them I was home alone and that they could come and look inside if they wanted. They declined. (In retrospect, I think this was a bad move on their part because I theoretically could have done something to someone in an adjacent room on the first floor that is out of sight from the front door.) I then told the cops that we have three units in our building and a basement and that they were welcome to look around in those areas too. They ran around the basement with their guns drawn, and since we have no lights in our basement they had to use the flashlights on the guns just like I have seen police do in the movies. Fortunately, none of the other tenants had made a phone call either. I hope that whomever was in help and placed the call were able to get the help that they needed…

38. Lia says

That is pretty darn freaky…almost as freaky as the fact that I made myself your honey whole wheat pancakes (for the first time) for dinner tonight without seeing this blog post beforehand. I was reading old your blog posts last night while at work and saw the recipe for those pancakes and started craving them immediately so this evening when I woke up I whipped up a batch. So good! I just think it’s really weird you had them for breakfast this morning also!

39. Danielle says

That is super weird! We just moved and our new apartment has a security system that apparently hasn’t been active since 1990. Well, it goes off a least once a month in the middle of the night. So strange and I always wake up in a panic! No one – including the security company knows why.

My boyfriend blames every noise I hear on his house being old (that should be fun when I move in in April- I already told him I won’t ever be home alone), but I when I woke him up last week he blamed it on the wind. It sounded like a door slam and someone talking, so I that there silent in bed, freaking out. And of course there WAS someone there. Luckily it was just a friend who decided midnight was a good time to stop over, but from here on out, when I say I hear a noise, he WILL be checking.

Did the cop tell you what the caller was calling 911 for? So creepy!