Five

Guess who turned five years old yesterday?

This little ham!

birthday vizsla

That face. She is so ridiculous.

Ryan had to leave on a business trip yesterday, so Sadie’s annual birthday challenge is postponed until he returns, but we celebrated with a “cake” made from wet dog food.

dog birthday cake

On Saturday afternoon after the ZOOMA Half Marathon, I drove to my parents’ condo in Jacksonville where I am currently staying. Their condo is less than an hour from Amelia Island where the race took place and since I knew Ryan would be traveling for work, I packed a bag with all of my work stuff so I could set up camp here for a few days rather than drive all the way back to Ocala to an empty house. I’m always down for more family time!

My mom was so sweet and brought a birthday plate and placemat out of storage to celebrate Sadie’s birthday in style.

IMG_1966

I think she liked her “cake.”

IMG_1970-002

I was feeling a little sore yesterday after Saturday’s race, so I spent the majority of Sunday relaxing. I also bought this month’s book club book, The Secret Keeper, and started reading. I’ve been on the wait list at my local library for the book for a couple of weeks now, but finally bit the bullet and bought it since the month is almost up.

The Secret Keeper

Have any of my fellow readers started or finished the book yet? Thoughts?

I also prepared dinner for my family in the crock pot!

Crock Pot

Gotta keep the Crock Pot Challenge going! I followed a recipe for Cuban chicken from Skinny Slow Cooker magazine. I couldn’t find the recipe online, but it was delicious! Lots of veggies! We served the chicken and vegetables over brown rice while someone observed us eating from a distance.

IMG_1972-001

We laughed pretty hard when we saw Sadie staring at us from the couch. She’s such a little goober.

I awoke relatively early this morning to get a jumpstart on work for the day.

IMG_1977-001

I made myself a bowl of steel cut oats with egg whites, banana, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice and flaxseed for breakfast. Plus a hot mug of coffee.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!

Comments

Haha! She is too cute! I especially love her “birthday girl” bandana.
    Ugh, I can’t even look at dog food without gagging. My dog has a chronic sickness where she vomits about 5 times a day, so we have to feed her that stuff and well.. I usually find it on the floor. (TMI?) haha she’s a trooper though. I’m glad to hear your half marathon went awesome, too!! You go girl!! Have a fun rest of your stay with your family! :)

Awww happy birthday to Sadie!!! I can’t wait to see your birthday challenge and which food she goes for! We did that with my brother’s dog this summer because it sounded so fun! She was really confused… She went for the hot dog first (over scrambled eggs and vanilla frozen yogurt – lol I would have gone for the froyo).

Ha ha that’s quite the inventive cake! I’ve never seen a dog food cake before. :) I remember when my old company came out with dog ice cream sandwiches. Our golden retriever went absolutely WILD for them. She’d jump up, then roll over 4 or 5 times before settling down enough to actually eat it. :) Congrats again on the half marathon PR!

Happy birthday Sadie! As a new-ish doggy mom I am just blown away at how much dogs change our hearts and our lives. And dinner time is the best time of the day, we know Charlie will be sitting right next to us willing food to fall off our plates with his eyes.

5. Amber says

Happy Birthday, Sadie!! The pictures of her crack me up.. Especially the one of her leering at you from a far. :)
    P.S. Crongrats on your PR this weekend!!

6. Kaylyn says

Sadie is such a little cutie! We always get a huge laugh when we catch our pup longingly gazing at us eating from a distance too. He’s not a begger which is helpful but he always likes to look and sniff in our direction.

What would we do without our pups for entertainment?! :) They bring SO much to our lives- and are always keeping us laughing.

7. Kira says

Awww, she’s so adorable!
    How do you add eggs to oatmeal without making something similar to scrambled eggs? I’ve been wondering this forever! I need a little protein punch in my oats!

8. Shara says

I enjoyed The Secret Keeper, but not as much as Kate Morton’s other novels. It was harder to get really absorbed into the story. If you haven’t read anything else by her then you should definitely check out The Forgotten Garden or The Distant Hours!

9. Kris says

Congrats on the successful half marathon! :)
    Random, but important question….what kind of almond butter have you found to be delicious? I know that PB is the obvious 1st choice, but I am looking for a good almond butter, too.
    Thank you!

10. Kris says

Can you give us an estimate of the recipe? It looks SO good!! What seasonings did you use, and what did you use for the broth? Thank you!

11. Natalie says

I love your annual birthday challenge for your sweet Sadie! My boyfriend and I plan to get another dog soon and I would love to start some fun tradition like yours!! {depending on the personality- they are all so cute in their own ways :) }

12. Hollie says

I missed the announcement about the book that won the vote, so I just ordered it! It looks interesting. My dog is staying with my in laws until we find a house and her bday is coming up, so I bought her a new toy for my in laws to give her when it comes. Unfortunately my husband’s chocolate lab found the box it was in and ripped it to shreds! Ahhh sibling rivalry.

Happy Birthday to Miss Sadie! We’ve always made our dogs a cake on their birthday, and even though they have no idea what’s going on, they definitely enjoy chowing down. The party hats are probably something they could do without, though 😉

14. Jessica says

I loved this post! Pets are part of the family as well so they need a celebration too!

By the way, what is your method for adding egg whites to oatmeal? I usually have an egg and oatmeal in the morning, but adding them together would be so much easier.

15. Amanda says

Happy Birthday Sadie! She’s adorable!

I just started the book today and zipped right through the sample on the Nook app. So far she’s a great storyteller.

16. Trina says

Happy 5th Birthday, Sadie!!! She is so stinkin cute!! My Vizsla will be 2 in a few months!! Time flies!
    Awesome job this wknd @ the half, Julie!! Congrats on your PR!

Happy Birthday to Sadie! She is such a beautiful grown up girl.. love the decorations and the cake. Wouldn’t it be so wonderful to be a doggie that someone loves so much?

Happy Birthday, Sadie! I was going to give Elmo chicken nuggets for his birthday but he had tummy troubles a week before so we skipped on it. Decided to get him puppy ice cream and I made him a microwave peanut flour cake :)

Happy Birthday, Sadie! I love her little eyebrows always arched up! This gives her face such a worried, stressed, but cute look! :) Good job on your race the other day! You are such an inspiration! Thank you! :)

Happy Birthday Sadie!
    I love when you add her to your posts! I love that she runs with you and she’s in the best shape of any dog I’ve ever seen! She’s awesome!

21. Sassy says

Congrats on the 1/2 marathon and HaPpY BiRtHdAy to Sadie!

I’ve started and finished The Secret Keeper – it was great! Excellent book club choice! Looking forward to hearing how everyone else enjoyed it!

I don’t know if you’ll see this comment. But I think this is the 3rd Birthday of Sadie’s that I’ve read about. What happened to the burger contest? We’ve considered doing the burger challenge for Alfie’s birthday (he’s 3). But instead. We set out a bunch of plates of kraft dinner (omg I know…) and let him “find” them around the apartment. We video taped it, and it’s so hilarious I had to cover my mouth so I wouldn’t ruin the video. He was diving in like no tomorrow. Literally, wolfing the mini-platefuls down. Little fella thought he was stealin’ food I bet…

23. Megan says

Happy Birthday to Sadie! I love reading your blog and seeing pics of your dog. I have a Vizsla too and my dog has very similar personality traits to your dog. :)
    P.S. My dog’s favorite birthday treat is Frosty Paws from Publix!

We absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to be precisely what I’m looking for.

can you offer guest writers to write content for
    yourself? I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome website!