Five

Guess who turned five years old yesterday?

This little ham!

birthday vizsla

That face. She is so ridiculous.

Ryan had to leave on a business trip yesterday, so Sadie’s annual birthday challenge is postponed until he returns, but we celebrated with a “cake” made from wet dog food.

dog birthday cake

On Saturday afternoon after the ZOOMA Half Marathon, I drove to my parents’ condo in Jacksonville where I am currently staying. Their condo is less than an hour from Amelia Island where the race took place and since I knew Ryan would be traveling for work, I packed a bag with all of my work stuff so I could set up camp here for a few days rather than drive all the way back to Ocala to an empty house. I’m always down for more family time!

My mom was so sweet and brought a birthday plate and placemat out of storage to celebrate Sadie’s birthday in style.

IMG_1966

I think she liked her “cake.”

IMG_1970-002

I was feeling a little sore yesterday after Saturday’s race, so I spent the majority of Sunday relaxing. I also bought this month’s book club book, The Secret Keeper, and started reading. I’ve been on the wait list at my local library for the book for a couple of weeks now, but finally bit the bullet and bought it since the month is almost up.

The Secret Keeper

Have any of my fellow readers started or finished the book yet? Thoughts?

I also prepared dinner for my family in the crock pot!

Crock Pot

Gotta keep the Crock Pot Challenge going! I followed a recipe for Cuban chicken from Skinny Slow Cooker magazine. I couldn’t find the recipe online, but it was delicious! Lots of veggies! We served the chicken and vegetables over brown rice while someone observed us eating from a distance.

IMG_1972-001

We laughed pretty hard when we saw Sadie staring at us from the couch. She’s such a little goober.

I awoke relatively early this morning to get a jumpstart on work for the day.

IMG_1977-001

I made myself a bowl of steel cut oats with egg whites, banana, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice and flaxseed for breakfast. Plus a hot mug of coffee.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!

Comments

Happy Birthday to Miss Sadie! We’ve always made our dogs a cake on their birthday, and even though they have no idea what’s going on, they definitely enjoy chowing down. The party hats are probably something they could do without, though ;)

2. Jessica says

I loved this post! Pets are part of the family as well so they need a celebration too!

By the way, what is your method for adding egg whites to oatmeal? I usually have an egg and oatmeal in the morning, but adding them together would be so much easier.

3. Amanda says

Happy Birthday Sadie! She’s adorable!

I just started the book today and zipped right through the sample on the Nook app. So far she’s a great storyteller.

4. Trina says

Happy 5th Birthday, Sadie!!! She is so stinkin cute!! My Vizsla will be 2 in a few months!! Time flies!
    Awesome job this wknd @ the half, Julie!! Congrats on your PR!

Happy Birthday to Sadie! She is such a beautiful grown up girl.. love the decorations and the cake. Wouldn’t it be so wonderful to be a doggie that someone loves so much?

Happy Birthday, Sadie! I was going to give Elmo chicken nuggets for his birthday but he had tummy troubles a week before so we skipped on it. Decided to get him puppy ice cream and I made him a microwave peanut flour cake :)

Happy Birthday, Sadie! I love her little eyebrows always arched up! This gives her face such a worried, stressed, but cute look! :) Good job on your race the other day! You are such an inspiration! Thank you! :)

Happy Birthday Sadie!
    I love when you add her to your posts! I love that she runs with you and she’s in the best shape of any dog I’ve ever seen! She’s awesome!

9. Sassy says

Congrats on the 1/2 marathon and HaPpY BiRtHdAy to Sadie!

I’ve started and finished The Secret Keeper – it was great! Excellent book club choice! Looking forward to hearing how everyone else enjoyed it!

I don’t know if you’ll see this comment. But I think this is the 3rd Birthday of Sadie’s that I’ve read about. What happened to the burger contest? We’ve considered doing the burger challenge for Alfie’s birthday (he’s 3). But instead. We set out a bunch of plates of kraft dinner (omg I know…) and let him “find” them around the apartment. We video taped it, and it’s so hilarious I had to cover my mouth so I wouldn’t ruin the video. He was diving in like no tomorrow. Literally, wolfing the mini-platefuls down. Little fella thought he was stealin’ food I bet…

11. Megan says

Happy Birthday to Sadie! I love reading your blog and seeing pics of your dog. I have a Vizsla too and my dog has very similar personality traits to your dog. :)
    P.S. My dog’s favorite birthday treat is Frosty Paws from Publix!

We absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to be precisely what I’m looking for.

can you offer guest writers to write content for
    yourself? I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome website!