NASM Certified Personal Trainer

I never used to think of myself a superstitious person, but I’m beginning to think that I am.

This morning, when I got dressed for the day, I made sure to wear my turquoise sparkly BIC Band. I wore it during the Savannah Rock ‘n’ Roll half marathon when I broke two hours for the first time and I wore it again two weeks ago when I achieved a PR during the ZOOMA half marathon. Now I feel like it might be a little lucky, so I figured why not wear it today when I headed off to take my NASM exam?

zooma florida

Yep, today I took the NASM Certified Personal Trainer examination late this morning and I have some good news to share!

NASM pass

I passed! Woo!

I guess sparkly BIC Bands may be a little lucky after all. Smile

At around 8:30 a.m., I drove to a tiny airport in Crystal River, Florida that served as the testing facility for my exam. I checked in and went over my study guide and note cards for another 30 minutes before I was escorted into the testing room.

NASM study materials

One hundred and twenty questions and a little more than an hour later, I was done!

When the man who ran the testing facility informed me that I passed, I felt awfully excited! (Unfortunately NASM doesn’t reveal your exact score after you take the exam and and you’re simply awarded “Pass” or “Fail.”)

I plan to do a whole post about my experience with NASM since I’ve already received a handful of emails from you guys with lots of questions, so stay tuned for that next week. If you have any questions you’d like to see addressed, feel free to ask away in the comments section of this post. I know I had a million questions when I began researching personal training certifications and then once I had my study materials, I felt a little overwhelmed, so I’d love to help those of you interested in any way that I can.

As for what exactly I plan to do with this certification, I’m not 100 percent sure. My main motivation for obtaining the certification was to possibly teach group exercise classes. While I know you don’t necessarily need a personal training certification to teach group exercise, I love it when group exercise instructors seem to have a greater knowledge of muscles and exercises and wanted to have that knowledge. While teaching group exercise still intrigues me, I have a few other ideas floating around in my mind and have some opportunities on the backburner that I may be interested in pursuing. I’ll be sure to take you guys along for the ride!

Lunch

When I arrived home, I was awfully hungry and immediately grabbed a pear to eat.

BOSC Pear

As I ate my pear, I made myself a chicken salad sandwich on 5-grain sub bread from the Publix bakery.

Chicken Salad Sub Sandwich

DSC_0037-001

Dessert was a couple of small handfuls of peanut M&Ms.

peanut m&ms valentine's day

So good!

Nine Years

Today is actually a rather special day for me and Ryan. It’s our nine-year dating anniversary!

47_529562121152_541_n

(Kappa Delta camo social, 2006 – Just lil’ babies!)

Ryan told me this morning that he has a surprise date planned for us tonight. (He later told me that if I didn’t pass my test and didn’t feel like going out to celebrate, his alternate idea was an “eat ice cream on the couch date night” which sounded awfully fabulous, too.) I’m not sure what’s on the agenda, but I’ll be sure to report back in the morning.

I hope you’re having a fabulous Friday and enjoy your weekend!

Comments

1. Bethann says

Congratulations! I plan to start the NASM certification program next year. In your post would you mind telling which package you purchased and why? Thanks, Have a great weekend!

2. Chamois says

Hello and Congratulations! I started reading your blog almost a year ago and FINALLY subscribed! It actually surprised me that I would follow you so often since I am not really a blog-hunter (does that sound creepy?), but yours in particular was somehow important to me! I love your workouts and since my husband and I have been training for our first marathon those treadmill workouts you post do come in handy–I can get so bored on a treadmill, but these NE Ohio snowstorms force us indoors. Thankfully your workouts keep me motivated and your recipes keep my diet in-line. I am happy you passed your exam! I, too just passed my MA exam in English (I love it but am still not sure what I will do with it). I love that you stay so motivated and determined! Thank you for all of the inspiration you give with your blog–I will definitely keep reading! P.S. I hope Sadie is getting back to her usual perky self!

3. Caitlin says

Congrats Julie!! That’s awesome, I have been think about getting certified as well! was the test a lot of muscle actions or what you would do to work muscle groups?

Wait this is so weird… but I’m a Kappa Delta at Vanderbilt and my boyfriend and I just celebrated our one-year dating anniversary yesterday (February 1st)! And I’m originally from Vero Beach, Florida.
    And I love peanut butter.
    THIS IS SO SURREAL TO ME.

5. Jyssica says

CONGRATS! Very happy for you. It is such an exciting feeling when you work so hard on something and you get the exciting reward knowing you passed. I am about to take my Dental Hygiene National Board exam at the end of March. Even knowing that this career is my deep passion, at times it can be a struggle to stay motivated on studying. I see myself dazzing off day dreaming of doing anything else instead of reviewing information. What would you suggest or say was the one thing that kept you going with your studies?

Congratulations on passing your exam! That’s so exciting. Kind of a bummer that they only give you “pass” or “fail”. I’d want to know my score and what questions I missed.

That’s really sweet of your husband. Enoy your date night:-)

congrats pretty girl!! Soo exciting — I am in the process of becoming a BASI certified pilates teacher & it’s so exciting. love your outfit!! Oh and the buttercream frosting was a great call haha soo yummy!! love your blog!!
    xx. Ky
    beingisbeautiful.org

8. AJ says

Congrats on your 9 year anniversary and on passing your test! I do have some questions for you:
    1. Why did you choose NASM over other cert programs!
    2. How much did you study? How involved was the studying?
    3. What’s the cost for the program/material/test?

Thanks! And you and Ryan look exactly the same 9 years later!

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

9. Barb says

Congratulations!!!! On passing your NASM exam. I did the ACE group certification and yes when you find out you passed is the best feeling!!! I am also interested in NASM and would love to know more info about the process for it. I love your blog and also ho

10. Barb says

Congratulations!!!! On passing your NASM exam. I did the ACE group certification and yes when you find out you passed is the best feeling!!! I am also interested in NASM and would love to know more info about the process for it. I love your blog!!

11. Christina says

Congrats on passing your exam! I taught a few group exercise class in college and I always felt like I should have known about the body and how it truly works!!

I also wanted to mention, I was at a body pump class today and I had a similar experience with a weird instructor with a newbie! I, unfortunately dont think she will be returning!

12. Cassie says

Congrats Julie!!! What was your study plan and timeline? I just received my book in the mail and I am starting to study, but I want to create some type of plan since I only got the book. Thanks!

Congrats, Julie!!! What an awesome accomplishment. By the way, my grandma used to have a townhouse in Crystal River. Such a small town. Interesting that the test was there. Take care!

Congratulations on passing your certification. I am about 6 weeks out from taking my test so you know I am cramming as much information as possible!
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

15. Carm says

Congrats on passing! I also enjoy when people take the time to learn about the muscles in and movement of the body- IMO it adds to someone’s legitimacy (versus making up what they say or repeating what they heard on TV/the internet)!!

I already love your blog and bet that I will even more now!

16. Nikki says

Congrats on passing!!! You should use to teach the Les Mills classed your gym in Ocala since they don’t currently offer them!!!

Right now I am studying to be a registered dietitian but I am seriously considering studying to be a personal trainer as well! I think they will go hand in hand. Looking forward to your post about NASM.

17. Rachelle says

Congratulations!! That is so awesome! I’ve been wanting to get certified for so long now, but never gone through with it because of fear. You really inspired me to go for it! Thank you! Congrats again!

Congratulations, Julie!! I am studying for the NASM exam as well. Something I’d like to see in your recap post is a highlighting of the main areas you studied or saw pop up on the exam. That would be really helpful for someone like me who is preparing!

19. Lisa says

I’m currently going to college to become a personal trainer. My professor said that you are able to get a better job/more clients if you have a college degree in health fitness/exercise science. Also if you want to teach group fitness it is also handy to have a group fitness instructor certification. Good luck! :)