Crock Pot Challenge Recap

The Crock Pot Challenge is officially over!

Challenge details: Try 10 new crock pot recipes between January 11 and the end of February.

Crock Pot Challenge - 10 New Crock Pot Recipes

We like to keep things simple around here!

I loved the way this challenge encouraged me to experiment a bit with my crock pot and try a bunch of new recipes. When it comes to crock pot cooking, I tend to fall back on my old stand by recipes, so taking the time to plan meals and look for mouth-watering recipes was quite fun!

Here’s a brief overview of the recipes I attempted during the challenge:

• Crock Pot Carrot Ginger Soup: Healthy and creamy, this soup was the perfect cold weather dinner! I loved the zip from the ginger and the comforting flavor.

Carrot Ginger Soup Crock Pot

Crock Pot Chicken Garam Masala

• Cuban Chicken: This dish was a hit with my entire family. Veggie-packed and filling!
  • Mediterranean Succotash: We enjoyed this succotash over brown rice and thought it was delicious! A perfect meatless meal.
  • Slow Cooker Seafood Gumbo: As a big-time seafood lover, I thought this gumbo was delicious! I needed to add more liquid to the recipe, but other than that, I thought it was a winner.

Crock Pot Curried Lentils

• Easy Crock Pot Carnitas: Ryan’s favorite recipe from the challenge! He dubbed the carnitas “restaurant quality.”

slow cooker carnitas

Recipes I have on my radar that I still need to try:

Crock Pot Challenge Link Up

And now for your recaps! I initially planned to set up a plugin for you guys to add your own links to this post, but I’m having major issues with the coding this morning, so I’m going to manually add your links. I found a bunch of your recaps myself, but if you have a recap post you’d like to share that isn’t included below, please add it to the comments section or email it to me at pbfingers@gmail.com and I’ll add it ASAP!

Be sure to check out Crock Pot Challenge recaps from these awesome challenge participants:

Question of the Morning

• What is the best slow cooker meal you’ve made within the past month or two?

Comments

Crock pot season is in full force over here! Last night I made pot roast (pork shoulder, carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, s&p, garlic – easiest recipe ever) and it was deeelicious. In fact, I’m eating leftovers of it for breakfast right now, haha

Hi Julie! I’ve been reading your blog for months but have yet to comment. 🙂 I think the best crock pot recipe I’ve made lately is pulled pork… So simple, yet so, so good!!

I made beef and tomato stew from Eat Yourself Skinny in the crock a few weeks ago and it was delicious and easy! It’s just my husband and I and it made A LOT but it also froze really well. We also went skiing and threw a pork loin, onions, potatoes and carrots in while we were on the slopes. After 8 hours in the snow, dinner was ready when we got back! I love the crock pot for that very reason!

4. Laura says

I didn’t do the crockpot challenge, but after reading your post about the carnitas, I decided I had to try them. I 100% agreed that they were AWESOME! I get really lazy about using my crock pot because I hate cleaning it, but those were worth it! I will definitely be making them next time I have anyone over for dinner!

My favorite crockpot meal is Chicken Curry. So stinking good! It’s super easy too. 1 can of coconut milk mixed with 2-3 tablespoons curry powder. Chop up a couple potatoes, carrots and an onion and add to the crock pot. Throw in a few chicken thighs or cut up chicken breast, toss to coat and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve over jasmine rice. So so good!

Yum! You have so many delicious sounding Indian-inspired dishes here! I cannot wait to modify some of them to make the vegetarian. The slow cooker is definitely my friend! 🙂

The last delicious thing that I just made with my slow cooker was Italian lentil-stuffed bell peppers. They were fantastic!

These all look so delicious. I’m definitely coming back here for some recipes. I made a delicious chicken stack in the crock pot. Chicken, salsa, black beans, and corn. So easy! Shred the chicken and put it all in a tortilla with lime juice and cilantro.

Thanks for the link up! And thank YOU for hosting this! This was such a good idea that I honestly think I’d do it again on my own just to find more crock pot recipes.

My favorite recipe of the challenge was the tomato basil parmesan soup. It was healthy but still delicious and flavorful. I definitely want to try those pork carnitas. That’s right up my hubby’s alley too.

I made crock pot vegetarian chili last week, which was delicious. I don’t use the crock pot much but I’m definitely going to be trying some of these recipes. The carrot and ginger soup looks amazing!

10. Hollie says

I made Crock Pot Hoppin John Black Eyed Peas for New Year’s Day and it was amazing! It gave the black eyed peas a rich flavor and the sausage made it seem almost like a gumbo. Recipe from the Thrifty Gourmet Cook’s blog.

Thanks for the roundup! It made me realize that I cook with my crock pot nearly as much as I should. I haven’t even used it in the past month, yikes. That’s about to change now that I’m drooling over that Tikka Masala recipe. 🙂

12. Kim @ She Wines Sometimes says

Thanks for sharing my recap link and for hosting such an awesome challenge! I had so much fun looking for and prepping new recipes. This was a great experience! 🙂 I can’t wait to try all of the recipes you and the other bloggers have posted.

I always think, “I don’t have time to use my crock pot,” which is so silly because it takes less time than preparing any other meal. I’m going to try some of your recipes – they all look SO good.

Julie, thanks so much for hosting this awesome challenge. It was a ton of fun and a ton of yum! 😉 Hehe. So looking forward to scoping out everyone’s recipes and trying some of them out myself. I already can’t wait to make several on your list. Thanks again! 😀

15. tracy says

The best crockpot recipe I have tried recently is the Smoky Refried Bean Soup from the crockpot 365 blog. It was so good!! Even my picky 19 month old son liked it 🙂

Sorry that your crockpot oats were a dud. I made some with blueberries and bananas that turned out really good. http://www.hungryhealthygirl.com/2013/02/19/banana-blueberry-steel-cut-oats-in-the-slow-cooker/

I was actually trying to participate in the challenge, but I wasn’t able to make to 10 recipes. This Southwestern Soup is by far the best slow-cooker recipe I’ve ever made! http://www.hungryhealthygirl.com/2013/02/24/southwestern-soup-in-the-slow-cooker/

17. Jenn says

Definitely make the slow cooker apple butter, I made a couple of batches at Thanksgiving and gave them to family and friends. Everyone loved it and it was so easy!

Hey Julie,
    I loved reading about your challenge and only participated by eating a few of the dishes that you posted and coming up with a few new recipes of my own. I wrote a post on my own blog today about a new dish that I made and I featured your blog, as well as this post, so that my readers would have access to your recipes and everyone else’s who participated. You can check out my post here, http://jujueatcake.blogspot.com/2013/03/juju-crockpot-rye-corned-beef-and.html where I featured your blog. I also posted a recipe a few days ago for a yummy crockpot roast here, http://jujueatcake.blogspot.com/2013/02/easy-pot-roast.html#
    Thanks for inspiring me to use my crockpot! Also, your curry lentil recipe was the bomb! 🙂

Thanks for the link–AND for hosting the challenge!
    Your recipes look amazing. I love all of the Indian-inspired dishes and will have to try the chicken tikka masala, garam masala chickpeas/chicken, and the carrot-ginger soup!
    And as a Gulf Coast resident, I can’t believe I’ve never made crockpot gumbo! I’ll have to try that one, too. 🙂

Hi! Thanks for hosting the challenge and for the blog shout out! I had a great time cooking and planning the meals and now I’m finding even more to make through these links.
    Now we’ll have to do some challenges to use my other unused kitchen appliances… I do have a once used ice cream maker… Haha!
    Great idea- I really enjoyed it.
    Julie Wunder

The crock pot rocks my socks off! My favorite crock pot recipe lately is one with just chicken, salsa, chicken broth, cumin, cayenne, and garlic.. It is paleo & great on top of lettuce!

22. Erinn says

You should really try the slow cooker apple butter! My boyfriend and I are into canning and apple butter is so easy to make! We gave it out to family for Christmas and we’re already getting requests for more!

I’ve not made any slow cooker meals as I’m yet to buy a slow cooker. It is summer time here in Australia but come winter time I will be buying one and cooking up a storm and filling the freezer with hearty meals like there’s no tomorrow. 🙂