Big Shoals State Park + Strawberry Shortcake

We went to bed last night prepared for the time change this morning. Knowing that we were going to lose an hour was all the motivation I needed to prepare this morning’s breakfast last night so we could eat it quickly and head out the door to church right after we awoke.

I also wanted to try a crock pot recipe that I initially bookmarked to prepare during my Crock Pot Challenge, but never quite got around to making.

Crock pot breakfast casserole!

Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole

I followed Corey’s recipe, but used sausage in place of the bacon and thought it was fabulous!

breakfast casserole crock pot

Fabulous and filling.

crock pot breakfast casserole dish

I also probably should have cut the recipe in half because it made a ton. Ryan and I ate it for breakfast and lunch today and still have a lot leftover. I think it would be great recipe to make when we have guests spend the night. Easy and delicious!

After breakfast, we drove to church and then stopped by the grocery store before heading home for lunch. By then Sadie was ready for some attention, so Ryan and I decided to head out to White Springs to explore some new hiking trails.

Sadie

IMG_2379-001

It took us a lot longer to get there than we anticipated and once we arrived at Big Shoals State Park we were more than ready to stretch our legs.

IMG_2383-001

The hike itself wasn’t too picturesque until we reached the Suwanee River.

Little Shoal

Apparently Big Shoals State Park is home to the largest white water rapids in Florida!

I used the Run Keeper app on my phone to track our hike and we ended up covering slightly more than five miles.

photo

On the drive home, I realized that today was the last day of the Florida Strawberry Festival and said I was a little bummed that we didn’t make it there at all this year. Ryan then had the idea to make homemade strawberry shortcake when we arrived home and I was more than game!

While he sliced up fresh strawberries, I made shortcake biscuits using Bisquick Heart Smart mix and whipped up fresh whipped cream.

Check out our beautiful final product:

strawberry shortcake

homemade strawberry shortcake

Naturally we enjoyed it with lots of vanilla ice cream!

Now we’re both finally starting to get a little hungry for dinner, so it’s time to get cookin’.

See ya tomorrow!

Comments

The breakfast casserole looks delicious! I recently purchased a crock pot ($17 at Target, baby!) and I’ve been pinning several recipes to try. I’d replace the regular hashbrowns with sweet potato though because I have an aversion to potatoes. Can’t wait to try it!

This is super weird…my son has been begging for strawberry shortcake all week and I finally caved and made them (using the same bisquick recipe). I just put them in the oven when I sat down to read your blog. Spooky! That breakfast casserole looks super yum as well. Is that the river in the song, “Way down on the Suwannee River?”

That seems like the perfect Sunday. I love all the hikes and walks you, Ryan and Sadie go on! They seem so relaxing and fun. I love that strawberries are coming back into season. Strawberry shortcake made with Bisquick is the way to go!

hubba hubba~that strawberry shortcake looks heavenly! I’ve never made anything with Bisquick before, but it seems to be a very versatile mixture of flour! And it seems like Florida is FULL of fun natural places to visit.

What a fabulous day! It looks like the 3 of you had a great time!

That CrockPot breakfast casserole sounds amazing. I would totally love to try making a vegetarian version using either vegetarian “bacon” or tempeh and vegan “sausage.” I can already tell that it would just be SO delicious :).

6. Elizabeth says

When I opened your post, I about fell out of my chair- I misread. Bull Shoals State Park is just down the road from us. I thought you were visiting AR! I quickly reread and realized my dreams had not come true—you were still in sunny not cold Florida. Glad you had a nice hike and the SS looks delicious! And BTW I’m now officially a crockpotting fool! e

I have found that breakfast casserole saves well. I like to make one on Sunday and eat it over the coming week. Enchilada sauce is a really tasty addition.

I was bummed that we missed the Strawberry festival too! Maybe a batch of your Strawberry shortcake will make me feel better;) & What a fun day with your hubs and fur baby!