Squat Jump Leg Workout

This morning, after a 20 minute warm up on the elliptical, I did five million squat jumps. Okay, that is a blatant lie, but I did do a bunch!

Check out today’s leg workout:

Squat Jump Leg Workout

(What’s with the chick? PicMonkey has new Easter-themed graphics and you know I couldn’t resist. Just pretend it’s doing a squat jump.)

At the end of this workout, I realized I did a total of 180 squat jumps, so I did another 20 because I wanted to hit 200. Yes!

When we arrived home from the gym, I snacked on two small bowls of Multi Grain Peanut Butter Cheerios while I quickly finished up an assignment that I needed to submit this morning.

Peanut Butter Cheerios

I then blended up a peanut butter cup smoothie (made with a handful 100 percent undetectable fresh spinach)!

Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie

Speaking of smoothies, last week I took some time to update the Smoothie recipe page, as well as the Crock Pot and Breakfast recipe pages. Hoping to tackle the others soon!

I followed my cold smoothie with a hot mug of coffee…

Lighthouse Cafe Mug

And now I’m singing “You’re hot then you’re cold. You’re yes then you’re no. You’re in then you’re out. You’re up then you’re down.” Hey thanks, Katy Perry.

Question of the Afternoon

• What was the last song you couldn’t get out of your head?

After a friend emailed me a link to this History of Rap video with Justin Timberlake this morning, I’ve had the song “It Takes Two” by Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock stuck in my head.

“It takes two to make a thing go riiiiiight! It takes two to make it outta sight!”

I always picture Ryan Reynolds singing that song in The Proposal whenever I hear it. So catchy!

Comments

The last song I couldn’t get out of my head was the Wonderful Thing About Tiggers song… which was really unfortunate (nothing even triggered it- it just happened). While I love Winnie the Pooh as much as the next person, I don’t like to hear “they’re bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy” over and over again.

I listen to the radio every day on my loooooong commute to and from work and I get a lot of really random songs stuck in my head. Recently, Poetic Justice by Kendrick Lamar won’t go away and I feel like that’s a super strange song for me to walk around singing…

200 squats. Please tell me how you feel tomorrow morning! Man, girl, that’s a lot!

The last song I had stuck in my head was the “follow the yellow brick road” one from the Wizard of Oz because I just watched it the other night. SO repetetive!

Definitely Taylor Swift – I knew you were trouble.

I love squat jumps (as much as anyone can) compared to jumping lunges or some of the other plyometric training there is. I like to do them as a tabata workout sometimes of 8 rounds of 20 secs on / 10 secs off using a tabata iPhone app just as a nice 4 minute heart starter :)

5. Elisabeth says

I have Payphone stuck in my head often and I had Seth Macfarlane’s song from the Oscars stuck in my head for weeks, too.

I have been listening to Matt Nathanson’s newest single “Mission Bells,” I know all of the words (it’s only been out since Monday), and it’s stuck in my head whenever I’m not listening to it! I also had some Pocahontas songs stuck in my head, based on my adventure with Nugget, the baby raccoon I rescued last night.

Our adventure is below:

7. Jenn says

Ever since your Sister Act post the other day, I can’t get “Hail Holy Queen” out of my head. Thank you………………..

8. Vicki says

I looooooove Peanut Butter Cheerios!! They’re probably my favorite kind. I get them from the store whenever I can, and try to hide the box so that no one else can have any. 😀

9. Kathryn says

The last song I had stuck in my head was Wagon Wheel by Darius Rucker! If you haven’t heard it, you need to listen to it! And that Jimmy Fallon and JT video is hilarious, my roommates and I have been watching it over and over again for the last few weeks.

That’s the cutest little workout graphic ever. I’m loving this, way better than jumping lunges;) Those are my absolute worst nightmare!!
    Everytime I’ve made a smoothie this week, I must have it with a cup of tea and my heater by my side! It’s just a must.

Great workout-makes for some strong quads and gluts to help avoid possible running injuries. Single leg squats are also good squats to incorporate into a leg workout as research has shown they are one of the best exercises to target what are often weak in runners- hips and gluts!

12. Jessie says

FISHY FISHY is the last song I had stuck in my head. It is the McDonald’s commerical. One of my autistic students sings it all day long, my husband, and my neigbor’s son who visits often. Sigh….

Great job on those squat jumps btw!

13. Cally says

Holy squat jumps! I take a Boxer’s Workout class every Monday. The first 20 minutes is 5 minute increments of each of the following exercises in a row without rest in between: jumping rope, mountain climbers, squat jumps, push ups. Talk about sore the next day, but it is certainly a challenge you want to keep getting better at! Btw – loving your leg and arm workouts!! Please keep posting! :)

Thank you for the Ryan Reynolds reference, because I just pictured him The Proposal in the scene without his shirt on :) It was a lovely thought first thing in the morning!!!

15. Skipper says

So this is just a random stream of consciousness at this point. Your blog is similar to the e-mail that I send my mother throughout the day while at work. I think the last blogpost that you had that was actually worthy of a blogpost was your trail run.

I get the most random songs stuck in my head! I have finally figured out that it’s because they play music in our restrooms at work so throughout the day I find myself singing (aloud I might add) anything from the best of the Backstreet Boys to LeAnn Rimes circa 1996! I’m sure my co-workers think I’m a little loopy. 😉

I seem to always get ” Call Me Maybe” stuck in my head! Anytime it comes on the radio or is playing at the gym I’m unconsciously am singing it for the rest of the day!
    I have tried to use Pic Monkey before, but I can’t figure out how to add text to it? Any tips?

• says

hhahaa me too! And I’m sorry to say I really dislike that song, but since it alwayyyyys plays at work I can’t help but to get brainwashed by it 😛 Also Katie, it’s actually quite easy to add text on Pic Monkey! All you need to do is go on the left hand bar where you see the letter icon. Then click on ADD TEXT and write in in the box that appears, and then you can adjust the font, size, etc. on a little pop-up that comes out. And Julie, your smoothie looks so thick and amaaazing~0_0

My puppy has this look, where I swear he is making the elvis face (you know, tucked lip…), so I started singing “you ain’t nothin but a hound dawg” to him. I just couldn’t stop singing it! His look was priceless. I’m weird.

I have Thrift Shop stuck in my head – it has such a great beat and makes me run faster when it comes on my ipod.

That PB smoothie looks delicious. I copied your recipe to try it out. I always have frozen banana chunks in my freezer for smoothies and use them in just about everything.

Smoothie looks yummy! Last song that I couldn’t get out of my head was “Never Ever Getting Back Together”, my 3 year old daughter sings it constantly :)

Mmm the PB Cup Smoothie looks so good. We’ve been having strawberry banana smoothies with spinach lately but I think we’ll need to mix it up with this recipe soon! The song stuck in my head right now is that build me up buttercup song because I clicked on the PB Cup Smoothie recipe link lol.

I almost made that smoothie for breakfast this morning but had Cheerios instead! Looks like I need to make it tomorrow now!
    Everytime I hear that song all I can think of is Ryan Reynolds and can’t help but to sing it exactly like he does in the movie. One of my favorites!

23. Claire says

I’m from Ireland, and if you come to visit you should spend at least a day in Galway! It’s a really nice city! It’s also not far from the Cliffs of Moher which you should also go see! The giants causeway is worth a visit too. Whilst in Dublin you should visit the Guinness storehouse, you get to pour your own perfect pint, and they give you a certificate!
    I’d recommend renting a car :)

Great Post. Your Article was great to read. its fun and refreshing. I am also thinking of cutting back some calorie. I am a new Blogger. As i am spending my time in net searching ways to cut back calorie may be I will post on healthy living on my blog “Lifestyle Diaries” based on my experience.

25. Haley says

That is one of my favorite parts of The Proposal! And of course the Betty White and Sandra Bullock doing the tribal dance hahahaha!

Squat leg jumps seem to be very physical. I could understand why someone would be very tired and sore the next day. But on the other hand it seems like fun. Thanks for the idea…

27. AJ says

I love the fact that you threw in an extra 20 squat jumps because you wanted to hit 200…thats AWESOME! I wish I had your energy!

-AJ