Indian Cooking 101

As you guys know, I’ve recently fallen in love with Indian food. While I still have a lot to learn about Indian cooking and a billion more fabulous Indian dishes to try, I am so glad I’ve started to explore Indian cuisine because it is delicious.

If you share my interest in Indian food and are looking for some fabulous recipes to try, I think you will like today’s guest post from the fabulous Sana!

Julie and Sana

I reached out to Sana and asked her to share some of her favorite traditional Indian dishes and I cannot wait to make them soon!

Enjoy!

Indian Cooking 101

Hello Everyone!

I am so happy that Julie asked me to post about Indian food because truthfully, the best part about being Indian is the awesome food!

My name is Sana and I blog over at SuperSana.com. I have been blessed to grow up in America my entire life, so I don’t have the firsthand experience of fine Indian cooking. However, my mom is a wonderful cook and has basically taught me everything that I need to know.

clip_image002

clip_image004

Here are a few of my favorite recipes:

Kinda Easy Chicken Biryaniclip_image006

Aloo & Palakclip_image008

Cauliflower (Gobi)clip_image010

Eggplant Curryclip_image012

Moong Dal (lentil soup) Recipeclip_image014

Naan Pizza & Eggplant Pizzaclip_image016

clip_image017

Minty Greek Yogurt Dip (essential to almost all Indian dishes) clip_image019

Just remember you can find all these ingredients at your local Indian/Middle Eastern/Regular Grocery store. Don’t be intimidated!

As always check out my recipe page for more easy Indian recipes!

Happy Cooking!

P.S. You can buy excellent naan from Trader Joe’s.

Comments

1. Sarah says

Oh, my mom (and dad) are from India, but my dad lived here most of his life. It’s so awesome to be able to have authentic Indian food (I’m a sucker for butter chicken and masala dosa)! I can’t stand it when people use the mixes and sauces that come ready made, it’s just not the same. These recipes look amazing! Thanks Sana :)

I love this guest post, thanks for sharing! I have been wanting to try indian cooking after reading about your great experiences and loving it when I tried in China. I know my first experience with Indian food was in China, but it was my favorite meal of my trip!

Indian food is my VERY favorite. I have made very difficult recipes, including making our own naan! But Trader Joes has tons of premade stuff (ginger garlic paste YUM +) that makes prep much simple! Yay Indian!

My wife and I love Indian food and your recipes look incredible. While in Seattle recently, we ate at a little Indian restaurant that served us a pea-bases curry with what appeared to be tofu as the meat substitute. It was by far the best tofu I had ever tasted, and since we don’t each much meat or dairy I really enjoyed that tofu. When the owner of the restaurant came around to ask how we enjoyed our meals, I was quick to ask him about the tofu and how he prepared it. He looked at me, thought a second and then said, “that is not tofu it is a special Indian cheese.” No wonder i enjoyed it so much. Thanks for a great post. We will try some of your recipes. — Owen

• Margot C says

Sana, thank you so much for taking the time to answer me!

Aren’t you then really talking about tomato sauce? Tomato “paste” as sold in the US (I’m sure that you know this I’m just trying to make sure that I use the right thing) is highly concentrated and has no seeds. They sell it in really small cans or even in tubes because it’s so concentrated. So, you don’t mean to use that stuff, right?

This was a great guest post! I checked out all of the recipes. I love indian food and want to make it more but have a hard time deciding what to make since i dont know what anything is. I am going to try a few out for sure!

This is great! There is not ANY indian food in Arkansas so everytime I go home to Texas that’s the first place my family goes to eat (we did last night)!

Definitely need to try these!!

Awesome post. I absolutely fell in love with Indian food once I developed a vegetarian diet. It is unbelievably delicious! I love making simple recipes at home, but you sure cannot beat great authentic Indian food from a restaurant. The eggplant curry and naan pizza recipes both look amazing!

Hi Julie,

I really love indian cooking because the spices contain a lot of beneficial nutrients which are good for boosting a person’s immune system to fight diseases.

Edmund

9. Merri says

These look amazing!!! Aloo and Gobi and Bryani are some of my favorites, but it’s hard to even choose a favorite!! Great post!

Yay!! This is awesome!! I adore Indian food but haven’t been entirely successful in my attempts to cook it at home. Thanks for sharing all of your awesome recipes, Sana! Can’t wait to give them a try.