Early Morning Spin

It’s the start of another week. I hope it’s a good one for all of you out there!

Workout

Since I thankfully didn’t have to work the early shift this morning, I woke up with Ryan and drove to the gym to work out before the craziness of the day set in.

My workout began with a 10 minute run on the treadmill before it was time to take a 45-minute spin class. The instructor chose songs with pounding beats which helped me get in the zone and pedal my heart out. I loved it and left the class with a sweaty ponytail. Always the sign of a good workout!

Once I am done typing up this blog post, I’ll be heading back to the gym to teach and work. Also on the agenda for today? A haircut. I found a coupon for a $7.99 haircut at Great Clips, so my horrific split ends will be chopped off later today. Finally!

After our time at the gym, Ryan and I came home, showered and sat down to a filling breakfast.

coconut overnight oats

I dug into the bowl of overnight oats I prepared last night.

overnight oats with shredded coconut

My favorite bites were the ones that included lots of coconut!

Question of the Morning

• How often do you get your hair cut?

For a while there I got my hair cut every six weeks because people kept telling me that regular hair cuts would make my hair grow longer and look healthier, but my hair never seems to pass its current length. Now I’m back to going whenever my hair starts to drive me crazy.

Comments

You get up so early to get your workouts done girl!! Great job!! I haven’t spun in quite some time, but it is always such a good workout!

I should get my hair cut much more often than I do, but when I do I typically just have them trim the dead ends off.

I sometimes cut my hair to shoulder length and then not get it cut for 6 months. I always think it is funny when ppl say to cut it more often to make it grow. The secret to long hair is to not get it cut so often and just let it be and it will grow 🙂

I love shredded coconut on my breakfast too!

Oh haircuts…. I used to go monthly when I lived overseas and haircuts (good ones!) were super cheap. Now, it’s when I notice that my hair looks horrifically split at the ends, and if there’s a Groupon for a somewhat reputable salon in my area, you can bet I’ll be all over it!

4. casie says

I used to get my ends trimmed about every other month. However, because I never really noticed a change in length (trying to grow it long) I have stopped that routine and now get it trimmed about every eight months. PS: I notice a difference now 😉
    Have a great one Julie, and all her readers!

Yep usually when it drives me crazy or I feel like I just need a freshening up…I have been known to go for a little trim when of a morning when I just can contemplate having to wash and dry my own hair…:)

6. Bailey says

I get my haircut the same amount of time as you do, haha. As rarely as possible! I love my long hair!

I had overnight oats this morning too, such a yummy and filling breakfast. 🙂 wish I could have a workout like you… Spinning classes just have to come to the teeny town I live in!

7. Toni says

I started reading your blog a couple of days ago and I’m obsessed. I read your post about this site being second only to facebook among the girls in your brother’s college dorm and I would have to say that applies to me too!! Except maybe second only to my email these past few days.
    I’m originally from Florida, but go to school in California. I didn’t sleep well last night, but decided to hop onto your blog this morning in hopes that the 3-hour time difference would mean that you had a post and I was super excited to see this one! My motivation for this morning’s workout 🙂

And I get my hair cut every six months or so. My hair seems to grow faster when I’m back home. It’s more humid in Florida and my mom says that has something to do with it!

I get a haircut every 3 months. I have long hair so there’s no point in getting it done any sooner. But if I wait a full 6 months, it just gets too long and the split ends get out of control. And I’m a diehard Great Clips customer! They do great work and are generous with the coupons!

I love that you go to great clips… I have certainly been known to go to super cuts many times! I often go to nicer salons because I feel like I “should,” but it turns out the same since my haircut is pretty much just straight across! I go whenever it starts driving me crazy too- probably realistically only every 4 months 🙂

Love spin class! It’s by far my favorite way to do cardio. I’m lucky that my Mom is an instructor, so I get to steal her lesson plans and music and do the spin classes myself;)
    I’m a hair-cut-aholic. Well, not so much the hair cut – I guess hair color would be more specific. I go probably once every month since my hair grows so gosh darn fast.
    Probably not the most wallet friendly thing but oh well.

11. Kelsey Yoki says

Early rising for me today! After later-than-normal nights this weekend, its been tough getting up this morning. My CrossFit class is a little later this morning, so hopefully that will wake me up!

When my hair starts to get really tangled throughout the day…that is when I need a haircut! Or if it just generally starts to bug me!

I’ve been getting my hair cut once a year since being in university. It probably isn’t the best, but I usually forget or feel like I should save my money!

I just made overnight oats for the first time last night! I kept seeing them on your blog and others and finally decided to try them. Happy to report they were a hit. 🙂 I put off cutting my hair way too long. It’s a bad habit I’m trying to break!

I definitely don’t get my haircut as often as I should! Usually, I want until I can’t stand it anymore and when it stops cooperating…then I schedule an appointment. It usually works out to be about every 4-5 months.

I love how long your hair is! I’m currently trying to grow mine out (after a bad hair cut that resulted in a chin length cut resolution) and getting it cut every 3 months! My hair is so bad by the end of that 3 months, though!

16. Katie says

I get my hair cut every 5-7 weeks. Right now I have really short (pixie-ish) hair, and really need to make sure it looks good most, if not all, of the time! 🙂

• Lauren says

Whew reading these replies I thought I was the only one. Think of the money we’d save every six months! I’m usually every 4 with my pixie for it to look professional. In the winter when I “grow” it it’s 7 weeks!

• Katie says

I was thinking the same thing! 🙂 But I figure we probably use less shampoo and product vs. those that get it cut every 3 months (since we have shorter hair), so it all balances out financially! 🙂

I get my hair cut about once a year… I love it long but then it get’s super warm during the summer. I normally chop about 6 inches off in May!

I absolutely love spin class! It’s one of my favorite cross training activities and I ALWAYS leave with a sweaty ponytail. Definitely the tell tale sign of a good workout! Especially when the pieces stick to your face 😉 Haha Have a great Monday!

I also have very long hair and get it cut every 12 weeks. I’ve found that 3 months is enough time to accumulate a good amount of length before it’s time to cut off the dead ends. Also, I’ve been going to the same hair stylist for 20 years (I started with her when I was 14 and she now cuts my daugthers’ hair!), and like to visit her every few months to catch up. Hope you’re having a fantastic day!

Wow, $7.99 for a haircut is an excellent deal! I don’t handle getting my hair cut very well (I’m always nervous they’ll cut off more than I want), so I tend to have it cut or trimmed, rather, about every 3-4 months or so.

I just got my haircut for the first time in about 8 months. It’s pretty bad when even after you straighten your hair, the ends are still frayed. It looked HORRIBLE. I had enough the one day and just made an appointment. It feels so much better now!

Love coconut! I would probably put way too much in mine, but it would have to be able to spread throughout so I could have it with every bite 🙂 I usually go every 8 weeks, but I just made my next appointment 4 months away, it feels like my hair won’t grow. Especially since everytime I go in for a haircut, it seems my length is cut off.

I can’t even remember the last time I got my hair cut 🙁 I’m so bad about that!
    I’m the same though, I use to get it cut VERY often to try to get it to grow but, it reached it’s current length and stopped.

I miss spin so much! It’s honestly the ONLY reason I’d like to gt a gym membership again (we currently work out at our condo’s gym)
    I recently chopped off all my hair to a long angled bob and I love it. However my biannual haircuts are now every 6 weeks! Gotta budget for that now! 🙂

I get my hair cut about once a year, haha. I’m terrible. Luckily, I have good, healthy hair, so it can hold up to being treated so poorly in the cutting department. When it is time to get it cut, I do go all out. I go to a really nice salon, and use the same guy I have been using for years. I get the works done to it so that it’s shiny and bouncy for the year ahead!

26. april says

i just got my hair trimmed last week! i love the feeling after a hair cut – even though i only trimmed an inch or so, my hair felt much lighter and healthier without those darn split ends!

overnight oats are so yummy, especially during the summer… they’re so good, in fact, that i ate them for breakfast 4 days in a row last week! 🙂

I am in need of a hair cut. I have super long hair so I’ve heard that it’s okay to go a couple times a year. Last night, I had a dream that I cute my own hair and of course, it was a disaster. It’s definitely time for a cut! Haha! Glad to hear you were able to fit in an AM workout again!

When I had short hair I used to cut it cut once every 2-3 months. Now that it is long I can go a good 5 months without cutting it.. crazy, I know! I don’t dye my hair so I don’t have to go in for touch ups or anything, mostly just a trim and I am good to go.

I wish my gym had early classes! I love spin but the first class is at 7 – not early enough for me to workout, shower, and get to work – and the ones after work are always completely packed.

30. Jan Klein says

I got about every 8-10 weeks. I love the girl who cuts my hair & always feel like a supermodel when I leave but it’s pricey & the cut grows in so well that I rarely go any sooner.

i miss spinning so much! i used to take a class every friday night that was 40 minutes spinning followed by 20 minutes core work/stretching. it was such a fantastic workout!

i am the queen of not getting my hair cut enough. i usually wait six MONTHS between trims and get the same thing done each and every time. fortunately i have fairly healthy hair (minus uh, some split ends…) and don’t colour treat it/rarely use heat on it (bought a curling wand with the intention of using it all summer – curled half my hair and decided i would just go to walmart with a bun).

happy monday!

I only go 3-4 times a year to clean up up the ends and keep everything looking healthy. That’s the beauty of not dying your hair– infrequent and relatively cheap hair appointments!

I have the exact same problem! My hair never seems to go past where it is right now although I would like to see what it would be like a little longer. I still try to get it trimmed about every 8 weeks because my split ends get impossibly tangled!

I love starting my day out with an early spin class! I go once a week on Saturday mornings…it’s become like a ritual for me. I definitely need to invest in a haircut too…split ends can be ignored for awhile but not forever haha

Do you eat anything before going to the gym early in the morning? I’ve heard of fasted cardio so I’m curious whether or not you do that, too, or just save a bigger breakfast for post workout.

I get my hair cut 3-4 times a year. I can’t stand split ends, but I also can’t stand sitting still in a chair for an hour while some one cuts my hair!

36. beth arndt says

yup, my hair is stuck at its current length as well. i get it cut every 10 weeks…and i always say to only trim just the necessity! but it never gets longer…..it’s always gotten to this point and then just stopped which is when i usually chop it all off. not gonna do that…it’s too handy to be able to stick it in a ponytail for the gym or a run!

37. christi in ma says

I get my hair cut every 7 weeks. My bangs get too long and drive me crazy if I go any longer than that between cuts. My hair grows really fast so I don’t worry about length.

This is really bad and every hairdresser yells at me for it, but I get my haircut once a year right before the summer, and then let it grow out for a year. I just don’t care enough about damaged ends so I’m lazy about it.

39. Katie says

I’ve been reading some of these comments and wanted to comment that my hair stylist actually told me that in order for your hair to grow, you need to get it trimmed regularly (every 8 weeks at most). Healthy hair grows faster. 🙂

About once a year if I a lucky! But, I have never been one to style my hair much so no damage. I am right there with you on going when it gets bothersome!
    Overnight oats are my daily breakfast! I got that amazing recipe from you 😉

41. Denisse Porras Fimbres says

Hi! I just have a quick question…. When you make your breakfast for example your overnight oats, do you prepare for your husband too or just for yourself??

42. Lauren S says

I’ve been growing mine out so I get it cut every 12 weeks. If you go every 6 you’re cutting off everything you just grew lol. I think it’s easier to stretch out cuts with long hair though.

Love coconut! Since I’ve been trying to grow my hair out, I usually get it cut about every 3 months. I am currently trying to wait until the 4-month mark when my girls are done swimming so we can all go get haircuts together. The chlorine has taken a toll, and the girls are going to need major trims!

Eehh, I kind of do it whenever… I used to do it regularly, however, after I started working from home 4 days a week (the one day I go into the office, which is near my hair dresser, is the day she is off), I stopped going regularly.

I think I read somewhere that everyone’s hair has a different max length.. if that makes any sense! I usually get my hair cut 1-2 times a year… oops. I just avoid using styling tools and hair dye.

I get my hair cut… whenever I see more split ends that I can deal with. That being said – I do wait longer sometimes and not as long other times. I have no idea what it depends on. But usually it’s bimonthly.

Nice workout! 🙂 I used to get my haircut every 3 months, but I was told if I’m trying to grow it, to get it cut every 4-6 months. I’m at month 5 and I definitely need to get a trim, but really it’s not looking too bad and it’s grown a lot!

48. Rachael says

I recently started getting my hair cut regularly about every 8 week and I do feel like my hair is growing faster. I had my hair in bob at chin length for a while and it is just past my shoulders in less than 6 months which is good for me.

49. Tami says

I work at a hair salon so I get my hair cut around every 6 to 8 weeks. It’s a good idea to get your ends cleaned up at least every 8 weeks. Many people don’t think this is true, but it really does help make your hair healthier!

Those oats look awesome! As far as haircuts… I really should get it done more often, but living here, especially in the summer, has me putting my hair up a lot so I don’t notice when I need to cut 😛 Oops!

51. Elisabeth says

I have short hair that’s is EXTREMELY thick & grows very quickly, so I get a cut every 3 weeks. Really, I almost could go at 2.5 weeks…

52. Michelle R. says

It’s never made any sense to me that trimming your hair could make it grow faster! I mean, how do your follicles know what’s going on with the ends of your hair???? I think it has more to do with a healthy scalp and good nutrition. Though I’ve been taking prenatal vitamins (just in case–I’m not pregnant yet) and my hair and nails have been growing like crazy!!!

I do the exact same…when I can’t stand my hair anymore, I schedule a hair cut. It’s so funny though, because I can totally roll with it, but then the split ends eventually get to the point where I can’t stand them anymore, and have to get it cut ASAP! Like you, my hair doesn’t seem to get past it’s current length.
    You oats look yummy! Love coconut!

I’m obsessed with your overnight oats. They are delicious!! In the morning, I put shaved almonds and pb on top with blueberries or banana. It’s my fav! Thanks for sharing!
    Soooo glad u asked about hair– I am always wondering if getting your hair trimmed every 8 weeks is really the best way to go. 🙂

I really must try coconut on top of oats – it looks delicious!

I get my hair cut every 8 to 12 weeks depending on the season – I go further between cuts in the winter.