Post-Surgery Stupor

I think 95 percent of the people I talked to at work today asked me what happened to my voice. Apparently I am talking like I have the black lung (Zoolander, anyone?).

My quiet, raspy voice made for an interesting water fitness class, but everyone laughed and cut me a break when I explained that I lost my voice following a Las Vegas bachelorette party. I appreciate their grace!

Work today went well and I ate my lunch after water fitness in a break room that smelled like burnt popcorn. Oh yum!

tuna salad lunch

On today’s menu:

• Tuna salad wrap
  • Dates
  • A banana

DSC_0349 DSC_0352

Easy and portable!

Post-Surgery Stupor

I have a funny and adorable video to share with you guys that a friend sent to me today! A wife videotaped her husband after surgery and he doesn’t recognize her but is pretty darn psyched to find out that he married someone so beautiful:

“Whoa! Your teeth are perfect!”

The video made me laugh and remember the time I picked Ryan up after his wisdom teeth surgery in college. He was still in a total daze and as he was escorted out into the lobby where I was waiting, he had hunks of gauze in his mouth. The moment he saw me he broke into the goofiest gauze-filled smile and yelled, “Baby! I’m f***ed up!” loud enough for everyone to hear. Luckily everyone cracked up and we had one heck of an amusing car ride back to his apartment.

Question of the Afternoon

• Do you have any amusing post-surgery stories?

When I was in high school, when I was done with my wisdom teeth surgery, apparently I started hugging and thanking everyone at the dentist office. Such a weirdo.

Comments

1. Jacki says

Following my daughter’s wisdom teeth extraction, she was crying all the way home in the car. I asked her if she wanted me to get her something to drink at the store so she could take her pain medicine right away. She sobbed that “no, she was ok”. I said but doesn’t it hurt and she said no. Then I asked her why she was crying and she cried some more and said “I don’t know!”

Ha! I love that video! When my dad came out of surgery, he started yelling to everyone, “Do I still have an a**hole?!?!?!?!” Oh, and my dad is a reserved, very intellectual minister. Too funny!

3. Rachel says

When I had my wisdom teeth taken out I apparently thought I was a rapper and started “rapping” eminem to my mom. I’ve never even really listened to eminem. Crazy!

I just saw this video this afternoon — so cute!

When my husband had his wisdom teeth out earlier this year, I went with him and waited in the pharmacy (in the same building) during his procedure to pick up his medication (so he wouldn’t have to wait for it after). Well, the pharmacy was slower than the actual procedure, so when he was done, the nurse waiting with him let him call me to find out where I was. He was talking in mostly nonsense, but intermittently kept repeating loudly “I’M ON THE DENTAL FLOOR! COME TO THE DENTAL FLOOR!” I was trying so hard not to laugh hysterically in the pharmacy, and no matter how many times I said I’d be right there, he wouldn’t stop saying it.

Best phone call ever 🙂

When I got my wisdom teeth out a few things happened:
    1. I tried writing to my mom that I wanted a banana smoothie from Sheetz (gas station) but it apparently only came out looking like circles. She had me write again until she understood.
    2. I drank said smoothie with a straw because no one told me not to use a straw.
    3. I woke up later on my couch from an intense dream about a snake completely in tears and my mom standing over me a nervous wreck because I was bloody (from the straw)/I was hysterically crying,

6. Liz says

I woke up from getting my wisdom teeth pulled crying hysterically and asking the nurses why they wouldn’t let me go back to sleep. Then I apparently kept petting my mom’s hand on the way out of the office and telling her everything was going to be okay. So funny the things you do when you’re drugged up!

After my wisdom teeth removal, I apparently would not shut up. The staff said I was the happiest patient they ever had. After my husband had his taken out, in the recovery room, he kept patting his beard. I asked him what he was doing, and he looked at me in shock and asked what he was touching. I said, “It’s your beard babe.” and he said, “Whoa.” like it was the coolest thing he had ever felt!

I had Carpal Tunnel surgery on both wrists (2 weeks apart) when I was 15. After my second surgery my parents took me home and got me settled on the couch with a movie and my pain meds, then they went to work. A few hours later I had napped and woke up desperately thirsty for Gatorade. With both wrists non-functional and in a drugged up stupor, I couldn’t open my Gatorade bottle normally so I tried using a knife, my elbows, my knees, and eventually a vice in our garage. None of them worked and I had to wait for my parents to come home. I also spent the next 2-3 weeks having to wear sweatpants to school because I couldn’t use my finger to button my pants…..It was quite entertaining.

9. Katy says

When I woke up from getting my wisdom teeth out I thought it had only been minutes since I’d fallen asleep. Apparently I didn’t want to take no for an answer so I just kept asking the doctor and all the nurses repeatedly if “we just beat the fastest record ever!?”

10. Deirdre says

When I came out of my foot surgery I put in a large room filled with other people who had just had surgery. We were divided by curtains, but we could hear each other. I woke to woman yelling to see her new chest and going on and on about how now she was hotter than Pamela Anderson.

When I got my wisdom teeth out my junior year of high school:
    Nurse: Jill, wake up. Surgery is all done.
    Me: alskdfjasdldjf
    Nurse: It’s time to wake up.
    Me: DON’T LET ME GRANDMA IN!!!

P.S. My grandma was not in the building. Who knows where that came from.

12. Courtney says

After I got my wisdom teeth out they told me I could get up and go find my dad in the lobby, well the drs walked out and I couldn’t get up and out of the reclined chair thanks to all the meds. When someone finally came back to get me I was asleep. Ha

not me, but when my brother was in high school, he had surgery and while falling asleep from the anesthesia proceeded to tell EVERYONE about all of his secret parties he had at the house while our parents were gone. needless to say, the liquor cabinet had a big lock on it following that

OMG that video is so funny, reminds me of when my fiance got knee surgery earlier this year. I video taped him after and it was hilarious. He didn’t know who I was at first, and then he kept RAVING about how the ice (yes Ice) was the best at the place that he does PT and that the ice at the surgery center was no good. Then he kept asking for juice boxes. It was 15 minutes of hilarity (including him saying boobs as loud as he could) before he finally passed out.

I saw this video on the today show this morning and it made me smile!!

After I had my wisdom teeth out and came awake I started screaming, crying and yelling in the dentist office saying “what did you do to my mouth!? I came here for a nose job!!” After my mom got me out of there (wondering why I had a nose job on my brain) we went to pick up my prescription and I told everyone at the CVS “Help, i’m in so much pain while lying on the floor”. What a scene.

16. Karissa says

Hi Julie! I am a first time poster but have been reading your blog “silently” for a few months now and LOVE it. Actually I wanted to thank you! Over the past year I’ve been cleaning up my eats and getting pretty addicted to exercise but certain stuff has seemed really daunting- your blog is crazy helpful and makes it not so hard and not at all boring!

So ummmm no post surgery crazies… however, once when I was good and drugged up thanks to a severe allergic reaction, my best friend tells me I was a biiiiiiit out of it…. like yelling at a gasoline or oil commercial for being stupid out of it! 😉 She used to have it on video actually…. I am both relieved and kinda bummed she lost that video with one of her last phones. 😉

17. Emily says

After I got my wisdom teeth out, I insisted to the nurse that I needed my teeth back so she gave them to me in a cup… Then when I was walking out of the waiting room with my mom I saw another girl who’d just had them taken out as well and said “I look better than her”…

I took a picture while I was waiting for my mom to get my “drugs” from the pharmacy…and didn’t find the photo until a few months later. I was pretty darn embarrassed. My mom also told me that I was a PAIN to get out of the recovery room – I kept on telling her I needed to sleep!

19. Jenna says

I have actually had a few surgeries all within couple of years. I do not have a problem with pain medication but I don’t react well to anesthesia, so I have a few stories like jumping awake so violently after having my wisdom teeth removed that I scared myself. I also severely sprained my ankle the night before my tonsillectomy and end up in the ER. As for the my abilities/behavior following the tonsillectomy, let’s just say, anesthesia, a sprained ankle with crutches, and stairs make for a dangerous but comedic and interesting challenge.

My best post-surgery story though is my strabismus (eye) surgery, I was incredible groggy and out of it as it was a longer surgery and I had more anesthesia. All I wanted to do is sleep but the nurses kept waking me up so I was particularly grumpy. I don’t know how long I had been out of surgery, but two male nurses came over, helped me sit up, and then took down the top of my hospital gown, so they could remove the sticky, electrode monitors from my back. Even though it was eye surgery I had to were nothing but the hospital gown in the event of a emergency, so as they were taking down the gown all I remember thinking is “I’m topless” and then without warning they ripped an electrode off my back. Those things are really stuck on and hurt like h*ll coming off. I remember clench a fist, but nothing more; I thought I went back out. I was told later that I actually took a couple swings at the nurses. They actually ended up leaving one of the electrodes on my back. It was still painful to remove it myself later, but at least they let me sleep after that.

My bf showed me that video literally an hour ago! So awesome.

When I got my wisdom teeth done my mom came into the recovery room and I started begging / demanding she make me apple pie. Then when we went to the pharmacy to get my meds my mom told me to hold her hand or the cart and I was obviously too cool to do either. So I tried walking on my own and walked into a shelving unit and knocked over a ton of stuff. Whooooops.

21. ashley says

I watched this video earlier and laughed out loud. so funny!
    I had my wisdom teeth pulled my senior year of high school and when my mom came back from the pharmacy to get me, I was just waking up from anesthesia. We got to her car and I started hyper ventilating and laughing and crying all at the same time. When I finally settled down, I rolled my window down and looked at myself in the mirror and just started crying LOL so strange.

Omg that video was amazing!!!!
    When my husband Scott got his wisdom teeth out he was really out of it after. He kept asking for me. And when the nurse brought me back he asked how he got out of his sweatshirt. The nurse said she helped him and he freaked and told me she didn’t undress him. It was really funny.

Hahaha that is HILARIOUS! when I got my wisdom teeth out and got home, I took a nap on the couch. My mom woke me up to tell me it was time for me to change my gauze and I just looked at her, opened my mouth, and made her remove it. Then, I tried to eat yogurt, but because I was so numb, I got it everywhere but my mouth. When my sister stopped laughing, she had to feed me.

That is hilarious what your husband said!!

They just gave me numbing cream when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. Apparently I missed out on the good stuff! 🙂

After my knee surgery I told the nurse I was going to punch her if she didn’t let me walk out of the hospital (I was in a wheelchair….because they had operated on my knee…) I’m a gem.

That video was hilarious!!
    After I had my appendix taken out, (I was told!) I asked for the doctor, and I said, “Are you done YET???” Lol!
    And … after my youngest was born I had my tubes tied (TMI???) Anyhow, my legs were numb and I was certain that I had been paralyzed. I kept asking the nurse how I was supposed to handle my kids (and the newborn!) – and my house has stairs! Would I need one of those chair lift things to go the steps?? She probably thought I was a loon! But I remember it so clearly!!

26. susie miller says

My regular dentist took out my wisdom teeth, and since his office didn’t have an anesthesiologist on staff, they couldn’t put me to sleep. So they gave me the option of having laughing gas (no thank you) or this drug they give to mostly little kids. The drug is supposed to make you really relaxed and out of it, and then when you fall asleep after surgery and wake up afterwards, you have barely any memory of what happened (they give it to kids so they aren’t traumatized by being at the dentist).

Anyways, I took the drug an hour before my surgery and I guess it kicked in while my mom and I were in the waiting room because I kept picking up magazines, looking around, and (loudly) telling my mom to shove them in her purse. I spent ten minutes shoving People magazines into her purse, and then on the way out after surgery, I announced to everyone that my mom was stealing the office magazines. I followed it up with “look for yourselves! Check her purse!” And then sure enough, I woke up on my couch a few hours later and barely remembered even going to the dentist.

I remember my dad pushing me in a wheelchair after my wisdom teeth extraction and me begging him to get me some candy from the gift shop. He kept telling me that I couldn’t eat anything right after the surgery, but apparently I was being very insistent! Haha.

Haha – I love seeing those videos! Mostly because whenever I get out of surgery I am completely normal. I didn’t even need any help whatsoever after my wisdom teeth and some other surgery I’ve had done. Like it was bizarre, I just wake up feeling normal…I’m almost jealous of those people’s funny reactions;) I’ve heard awesome stories of things my friends do but sadly not for me!

29. Anjali says

I was home after a gall bladder surgery and I *in my daze* thought that my puppy Duffy was a teddy bear and hugged him so tight that he bit me and had to go back to the hospital for shots 😉

When I got my wisdom teeth out I basically cried and thanked the doctor for not killing me. I was like so relieved to be awake and not dead I was like crying and slightly hysterically laughing. It was ridiculous. My boyfriend took me home and put me to bed and just laughed at me for the rest of the day. 🙂

31. Samantha says

Funny you mentioned your wisdom teeth because when I had mine out, it was like 2-3 days before Christmas, and when I woke up I started like frantically worrying that I missed Christmas, I was like “DID I MISS SANTA?!!” Meanwhile..I was like 20 years old at the time.. It was super embarrassing and awkward. hahaha!!! Once I fully “woke up” I realized how ridiculous I was!!!

32. Dana says

I LOVE that video. I guess post-anesthesia tells all 🙂

Am I the only one who was awake to have all 4 wisdom teeth out?

And sorry… as bad as the smell of burnt popcorn is, I’d rather smell burn popcorn than tuna :\ There’s an understood ban on it in my office.

• Lisa says

I was awake to have my wisdom teeth removed (only the top two were removed). I had to be on medication and the only way to remove my wisdom teeth was to numb my gums (in between the top teeth hurt like no tomorrow). They had already come down so I was in and out in 15 minutes. My mom was my driver and she was shocked at how fast the procedure took. I’m in my 30’s and this was done two years ago. No funny stories, but I did yell to my mom to get off the phone and run to the drug store to get more gauze because I had run out.

33. Ali says

I had a knee reconstruction about 8 weeks ago and was a drugged up mess for the best part of 3 days. I sent lots of amusing text messages which resulted in a ‘um, who is this?’ reply

34. FLrunner says

i’m noticing that your posts lately have really changed my impression of you and your blog. Normally, I look forward to a cute, professional and classy posts – but lately things have changed drastically. You posted before about knowing how dangerous it is to drink excessively and now you mention on your blog, your husband’s use of profanity? You’re trying to sell a brand through your blog…this is very disappointing.

• says

I’m sorry that my recent posts are altering the way you see me. I have always enjoyed drinking socially and said this before. Since my blog follows my life and I’ve been attending a lot more social events because of weddings and bachelorette parties, you’re probably seeing more drinking than you’re used to seeing on the blog. I know my personal limit and drink responsibly even when I’m drinking with friends in Vegas or at a bachelorette party which is why I feel okay sharing about these events on my blog since I remember all the details and pace myself when I do drink. I really do appreciate your comment and will absolutely take it to heart moving forward.

• Erin H says

I very rarely comment, although I’ve enjoyed your blog for a really long time. I just wanted to say I really to like when you put personal anecdotes about you and your family. I thought the Ryan story was hilarious and I actually laughed out loud.

I know your blog is your brand, and you want to present yourself in a certain manner, but these fun stories, and details about the Vegas weekend are what set you apart from other more “sterile” blogs…it gives pbfingers personality and a voice. While I know everyone has an option, I really hope you don’t feel like you need to “censor” yourself too much. There are so many other places to go if you just want a workout or a recipe. I keep coming back for those AND your little quirks, fun stories, and of course SADIE 🙂

Love PBFingers!!

• says

Thank you for sharing your opinion, too, Erin. I really appreciate it and you made me smile! I do struggle with how much to share sometimes and am glad you enjoyed the Vegas posts. They were a lot of fun to write and I really enjoy sharing that side of my life with you guys. 🙂

• Stacy says

I also rarely comment (except for giveaways 🙂 ) and completely agree with Erin H! I love reading about various social events (bachelorette parties, trips, wine tastings, etc) and appreciate when you are real with us. If you were completely censored and didn’t throw out a curse or two, or didn’t reveal that, yes, you and Ryan fight, it would be harder to relate to you! Thanks for being honest! I enjoy reading your blog!!!!

That video is awesome! I saw it a few times yesterday, thanks for posting! I needed another laugh this morning. And the fact that you even mentioned Zoolander has me now thinking about how golden that movie is! What a gem!

after I got my wisdom teeth removed, I cried… and cried. Not because I was in pain, which they kept asking me, but because they woke me up and I was so sleepy 😀

37. Genee says

After my husband got out of surgery on his lungs, he did the same thing, every nurse that came in he thank over and over again, and asked them to tell the doctor he said “thank you for doing your job” It was like a compulsion, even nurses that walked past his room he would ask me to go tell them thank you for him. It was so cute and I think its just proof that you guys are good down to the core!

That’s awesome- I did the exact same thing as you!! Apparently I was thanking everyone and their mom for ‘doing such a good job’. “OH THANK YOU! Thank you SO much!”… weirdo. 🙂 My dad was like, “Okay kiddo… LETS GO.”

39. queenoffitness says

If you listen to cocktails with Patrick on Sirius Cosmo radio, he lovingly calls this PGV, party girl voice. He coined it after using a clip of Kristen cavallari from the hills.

40. Amanda says

When my husband had his wisdom teeth out I was sick so I couldn’t bring him so his mom and grandma brought him and picked him up. He called me once he got out (shocked that he remembered my number! Lol) and he immediately went on a ten minute rant about how horny he was and what was his favorite “feature” of mine. It was horribly hilariously embarrassing since I could hear my mother in law laughing as I tried to get him off of the phone. 🙂

41. Shanon says

Speaking of wisdom teeth- you simply MUST check out a hilarious 5-minute video on You Tube. The clip is called “Unicorn After Wisdom Teeth” and it shows a girl named Hannah Manry right after she had her wisdom teeth out (filmed by her mom). She is beyond hilarious and this was even shown on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and Ellen said it’s one of the funniest things she’s ever seen! This girl will crack you up! I am laughing just thinking about it now.

42. Katherine says

I love the stackable measuring cups and spoons. The colours are so fun… how can you not be happy when you’re cooking with those!

43. val says

I got my wisdom teeth removed my senior year of high school. I was really nervous so the Dr found out I was a runner and chatted that he raced as well. Anyway coming out of surgery I apparently told anyone who came in the office that he was soo hot and that he was a runner too. My mom said she was very embarrased for me…lol.

Haha that is hilarious! I basically did the same thing Ryan did, except my mom picked me up.

“Maaaaaa! I’m f***ed up!”

Then on the car ride home I proceeded to tell her how sorry I was for every bad thing I ever did, as well as confess a few lies I had told her in the past…
    Remember that time I was 6 and I pushed my brother into the rocking chair? I’m sorry.
    Remember that time I said I slept at Katie’s? I actually stayed out all night with my friends. I’m sorry.
    Remember that time….