Walking Workouts

We all have days when we don’t feel like working out at all. During the summer months, the heat is often an excuse we use for staying inside and lounging at home. But all too often we know we’ll feel better if we get outside and move around. Even if we return looking like a sweaty mess, there’s no denying what a little fresh air and sunshine can do for our mental health.

Combine fresh air and sunshine with the endorphins we get from exercise and you’ve got yourself a triple threat!

I don’t know about you, but heat and humidity definitely impact the intensity of my outdoor workouts and lately long walks sound a lot more appealing than a hot run where I struggle to catch my breath and stay hydrated. With a crazy dog demanding outdoor time and daily walks, I threw together this walking workout today and did my best to incorporate some mini breaks throughout the three-mile walk where I could engage my muscles in some bodyweight exercises.

Outdoor Walking Workout

My favorite walking path is rather secluded, so I don’t feel too goofy busting out lunges or squats in the grass, but I’ve done a similar workout on the beach and tried my best to remind myself that I’d probably never see the people walking by me again in my life. This workout could also be done on a treadmill at the gym, but it’s definitely nice to take things outdoors this time of year!

Here are links to video demos of the exercises:

And to keep with the walking workout theme, I wanted to share a few more walking workouts for my fellow walkers out there…

Walking Workouts

Walking Workouts

Question of the Afternoon

• Do you incorporate walking into your fitness routine?

Walking is one of my favorite ways to get outside and move around. Walks with Sadie and Ryan after dinner are my favorite!

Comments

It’s literally the hottest day so far this summer up here in PA! We made it all the way to July without turning on our AC… and now the air is so thick I feel like I can’t breathe. Don’t know how you handled all that humidity down in FL! My pup doesn’t do well in the heat, any temp beyond the low 80s and I end up dragging her through the end of the walk.

I try to walk everywhere (within reason) during the summer because I definitely miss it in the winter! I don’t think of walking as part of my fitness routine though, just part of living a healthy life. But it’s all connected though, isn’t it? …
    I started a new workout schedule recently and I’ve been feeling a bit bored on my rest days. Dedicated walks will the perfect thing to keep me active without overdoing it.
    Thanks for the reminder :D

3. Alexandra says

Thank you so much for an awesome walking workout routine! I’ve been walking 4.5 miles every morning this summer, and this is a great way to incorporate strength training into my morning routine. Thank you!

4. Kim says

Be honest, how hard was it to not write, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.”

This is great! I’m 7 months pregnant and recently had to give up running. It makes me sad because we live in Minnesota and this is the one season when we CAN almost always exercise outside, and I’ve been stuck inside on the arc trainer. This workout gives me motivation to make walking more fun so I can still enjoy the outdoors! Thanks Julie!

6. Mary Beth Richardson says

You read my MIND today! Not because of the heat … it’s actually chilly and gloomy and I have zero motivation to do cardio today! Thank you for this list. I have a very public path near little league fields, but who cares …. I’ll do arm circles and think to myself “I’m happy to be lunging and looking silly…it’s better than nothing!” well, a nap sounds good, too. :)

7. Laurel says

I incorporate your walking workouts into my workouts…some days my joints just can’t take the pounding of the pavement or the treadmill.

Thanks for sharing! My sister and I like to do long walks on the weekends sometimes. I am definitely going to try to get my fiance to do this one with me tomorrow. :)

Yes, love walking about a mile or so after a run. There’s something soothing about it…helps keep me from being too tired from my run.
    But geeze, it is so hard to run right now. I’m in Alabama, so the humidity and heat together = AWFUL!

I am on my feet all day walking with my job. However, I still love to use it as a form of cross-training. Whether its a brisk walk outside to get fresh air (+ a touch of humidity, ha!) or an incline walking workout on the treadmill (love all of yours!!) I find walking to be fab. We are blessed to have legs, lets use them, mm?

Ok, I cannot wait to try this! I’m currently trying to stay away from running and intense exercises, but have been loving walking and incorporating some bodyweight strength exercises. This will be perfect!

12. Allyssa says

I currently do incline walking as part of my fitness routine, and will go on casual walks frequently also! Love this walking workout :) Does Sadie join you in any of your exercises haha?

I’m guilty of never considering walking a workout…even though I know it absolutely can be! If it doesn’t leave me drenched in sweat, I just cant feel like it was a real workout. But these do look like fun and might give them a try :)

I wouldn’t say walking is part of my routine, unless I am doing track intervals and incorporate walking post sprint. Walking is something I enjoy doing with my mom each week – we always get together for an hour walk and catch up on life. :)

15. Sarah Whitney says

I’m still recovering from a bad knee injury, so walking is my go-to form of exercise right now. And I love how good I feel after a brisk walk!

16. Ruth says

I love walking routines. There is an urban lake near me that I will walk around, I like to stop at the benches and do pushups, dips, squats, crunches(those ones where you sit on the edge of the bench and bring your legs to your chest) and even planks. There are wooden docks where I will lunge the distance, and the stairs for all sorts of workout extras. Of course there are tons of people out doing runs or walking dogs, or whatever is their thing, even sometimes a group of tai-chi people are on the grass, and seeing them always makes me feel calm and happy somehow.
    I also have a couple Youtube walking videos to do, they are more old school aerobics, nothing too drastic, just march in place and do a few knee ups and kicks, but I really enjoy it, so why not eh?
    Walking is my fave workout, I have really bad knees with a few surgeries on them, so yes, it is best for me, but also, it’s just my “soulmate workout” I guess. ;)