We all have days when we don’t feel like working out at all. During the summer months, the heat is often an excuse we use for staying inside and lounging at home. But all too often we know we’ll feel better if we get outside and move around. Even if we return looking like a sweaty mess, there’s no denying what a little fresh air and sunshine can do for our mental health.
Combine fresh air and sunshine with the endorphins we get from exercise and you’ve got yourself a triple threat!
I don’t know about you, but heat and humidity definitely impact the intensity of my outdoor workouts and lately long walks sound a lot more appealing than a hot run where I struggle to catch my breath and stay hydrated. With a crazy dog demanding outdoor time and daily walks, I threw together this walking workout today and did my best to incorporate some mini breaks throughout the three-mile walk where I could engage my muscles in some bodyweight exercises.
My favorite walking path is rather secluded, so I don’t feel too goofy busting out lunges or squats in the grass, but I’ve done a similar workout on the beach and tried my best to remind myself that I’d probably never see the people walking by me again in my life. This workout could also be done on a treadmill at the gym, but it’s definitely nice to take things outdoors this time of year!
Here are links to video demos of the exercises:
And to keep with the walking workout theme, I wanted to share a few more walking workouts for my fellow walkers out there…
- Treadmill Walking Workouts: A compilation of some of my favorite walking workouts.
- No Joke Walking Workout: A challenging 20-minute incline walking workout.
- 15 or 30 Minute Treadmill Workout: You choose the length of this incline walking workout.
- 25 Minute Treadmill Walking Workout: This 25 minute walking workout is no joke! If you think running is the only way to work up a sweat on the treadmill, give this workout a try!
Question of the Afternoon
- Do you incorporate walking into your fitness routine?
Walking is one of my favorite ways to get outside and move around. Walks with Sadie and Ryan after dinner are my favorite!