Tonight seemed like a great night to enjoy eggs in the evening, so I figured I’d try making my first-ever quiche!
I changed the recipe quite a bit, but the results were still fabulous! It was a copy cat quiche… kind of. 😉
The recipe below includes my alterations.
Broccoli and Spinach Egg White Quiche
- Three whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a greased 9-inch pie plate, overlap the tortillas to make a crust; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Meanwhile, steam broccoli and until crisp-tender, about 2 1/2 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook until the onions are transparent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the broccoli; season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly in the tortilla crust, and add shredded cheese on top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the goat cheese, egg whites and yogurt and season with salt and pepper; pour into the tortilla crust. Bake on the baking sheet until just set in the center and lightly golden, about 30 minutes. Let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
The addition of the Greek yogurt to the egg whites really made this quiche taste like at thick egg casserole.
In Ryan’s words, it tasted “quichey,” which he assured me was a good thing. 😀
Question of the Evening
Do you enjoy breakfast for dinner, or do you prefer to eat meals typical of breakfast, lunch and dinner at their typical times?