This morning’s breakfast reminded me of one of my favorite after school snacks as a kid.
Cheese toast! (Served with a cup of decaf coffee that made me feel oh so cozy inside.)
I placed two slices of sharp cheddar cheese on a leftover Kaiser roll from this weekend’s Easter cookout and put it in the toaster oven until the cheese melted. I then topped the cheese toast with avocado slices, salt and pepper. Grown up cheese toast for breakfast, baby!
My breakfast inspired me to reflect on some of my old favorite after school snacks as a kid and so many random foods started popping up in my mind!
Some of my old favorites:
- Bagel Bites (Anyone else remember the “Pizza in the morning, pizza in the evening pizza at supper time…” jingle!?)
- Chocolate Instant Breakfast
- Fruit (grapes, apples, bananas, oranges)
- Strawberries ‘n’ Cream Oatmeal (from the little instant oatmeal packets)
- Cheese Toast
- Yogurt (strawberry banana)
- Cereal (dry – I was never a big milk fan and I also rarely ate cereal for breakfast… It was always more of a “snack food” for me.)
Oh, after school snacks of the ‘90s… Memoriiiiies!
Question of the Morning
- Do you remember some of your favorite after school snacks from when you were growing up?
I also remember I loooved pouring myself a big glass of orange juice after school. Now that I look back on some of my favorite after school snacks, a lot of them seem very “breakfasty” – I guess breakfast foods have always been a personal favorite!