Her elegant handwriting.
The smell of her house.
Her dainty wrist always dripping in jewelry.
Scotch on the rocks with a twist.
Her sugar cookies.
My beautiful grandmother.
I remember walking through the door of my grandmother’s house in Gettysburg when I was growing up. The wonderful smell that somehow managed to find its way into the packages that she sent to our house in Palatine would hit me full force. The smell of my grandmother’s house.
After walking through the door and inhaling deeply, I would give my grandmother a tight hug before my eyes darted into the far right-hand corner of her kitchen.
That’s where I knew I could always find Mimi’s gigantic glass cookie jar packed to the brim with her homemade sugar cookies.
I’d look back at my grandmother and she’d nod her head towards the cookies. That was all the permission I needed. It was cookie time!
In my three years of blogging, I think I can safely say this is one of the most precious recipes I’ve ever shared.
My grandma’s sugar cookies are by no means healthy, but they are by all means delicious. My entire family adores these sugar cookies. My parents, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins… everyone.
If you make them, be sure to make them extra large. They’re supposed to be giant. That’s part of the fun! They’re big, cakey yet dense at the same time and lightly dusted with sugar.
The sugar dusting is a must as well!
I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as we do in my family!
Mimi’s Sugar CookiesPrint
My grandma’s sugar cookies are by no means healthy, but they are by all means delicious.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Crisco
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Cream together Crisco and sugar
- Mix in eggs
- In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt
- Slowly mix flour mixture into creamed sugar; Mix well
- In a small bowl combine vanilla, sour cream and baking soda; Add to flour batter
- Cover and refrigerate overnight
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Drop large spoonfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until sides of the cookies begin to slightly brown
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack; Sprinkle immediately with sugar and allow to cool completely
Keywords: dessert, mimi, recipes, sugar cookies
Question of the Morning
- Do you associate a certain recipe with your grandparents? Any favorites?