Yesterday was the highlight of our trip for me so far for a myriad of reasons. We stuck close to the large cabin we rented for our whole crew which worked well since we had a large meal to prepare for Thanksgiving and everyone had various dishes they wanted to contribute to our feast. Our meal was fantastic and filled with lots of my favorite family recipes. I think I’m still full!
I’ve also loved unplugging from my computer, emails and social media over the past few days but felt the itch to check in and share my usual Things I’m Loving Friday recap with you guys this morning. I hope you’ve been enjoying some time with loved ones and have a wonderful weekend ahead!
Things I’m Loving Friday
I love watching our boys with their cousin, Callie, and watching their relationship grow, strengthen and evolve is so sweet and fun to see. Chase is still in the Callie-obsessed phase where he wants to be with her at all times and when she naps is constantly asking when she’ll be up again. Ryder is in the phase where he wants to bring her toys to share but then take them back or give her a pat on the face which she then reciprocates so there’s a lot of baby grabbing going on between the littlest members of our family. I’ve loved having all of the cousins together under one roof for the past few days and am already feeling that sense of post-vacation blues kick in knowing we have to say our goodbyes tomorrow morning.
Mae and Pop Time
In the same breath of loving watching the boys with their cousin, seeing them with Mae and Pop makes me all too happy, too! As I am sure many of you raising kids away from family can attest, reuniting everyone and seeing our boys get so excited be with their grandparents feels so good. They are clearly thrilled when Mae and Pop are around and are soaking up the extra love and attention.
The Secrets We Kept by Lara Prescott
The Secrets We Kept popped up on my radar from my mom and proved, once again, to be a great recommendation. It combines real events in history with an imaginative plot line that kept me entertained and engaged from beginning to end. The book centers around Doctor Zhivago and is inspired by the true story of the CIA’s plot to get the novel in the hands of Soviet Russia where no one would publish the novel by Boris Pasternak. The novel follows the life of Pasternak’s mistress and muse, Olga Ivinskaya, who inspired Zhivago’s heroine, Lara, and was sent to the Gulag for being an “accomplice” to Pasternak. It also offers a glimpse into the lives of two secretaries-turned-spies at the CIA and their assignment to smuggle Doctor Zhivago out of the USSR and bring it to print where it could be read around the world and, eventually, get the novel into the hands of Russians to change their hearts and minds.
Black Friday Sales
Below you will find a roundup of a bunch of the Black Friday sales going on right now that popped out at me. I hope they help you find something affordable for someone you love this holiday season!
- 50% off at LOFT with code FRIYAY (lots of $20 sweaters / I have this top-knot headband and think it would make a great stocking stuffer / the Lou & Grey line includes some of the comfiest lounge wear /
- 30% off everything at Anthropologie (so many beautiful planners on sale / their Capri Blue candles smell fantastic and make great gifts / these slipper socks look so cozy)
- 50% off everything at Old Navy (I ordered this water-resistant faux-fur lined jacket for rainy days / lots of matching holiday pajamas / we swear by their skinny pull-on jeggings for Chase — perfect for slim kids / Ryder has these slipper booties and they’re all kinds of adorable — also available in pink! / the plush-knit fabric of this hoodie is SO soft)
- 50% off everything at GAP with code BLKFRIDAY (their softspun joggers are heavenly — I have the navy pair with stars / I love their high-rise button fly jeans — so stretchy and great for tucking into boots)
- 30% off at Madewell with code GIFTWELL (their v-neck whisper tees and tanks are the best for layering)
- 60% off everything at GAP Factory + extra 15% off with code BFEXTRA (these are the plaid footie pjs I got the boys this year that they love + this sherpa pullover the coziest thing I’ve purchased for myself all year)
- 20% off BOMBAS socks with code HOLIDAY20 (great stocking stuffer for the whole family)
- Up to 50% off at Nordstrom (I have this Nike Pullover and it’s one of my favorite hoodies ever)
- 25% off at Pottery Barn
- 25% off Pottery Barn Kids + Free shipping with code UNWRAP (cutest holiday bedding around!)
- Up to 80% off at Wayfair (I bought this faux fiddle leaf fig tree last year and we love it! You may see it in our house in this post.)
My Go To Mom Hacks to Make Life Easier (I still swear by these!)
Best Ever Morning Glory Muffins (Keep this recipe on hand if you want to wow visitors over the holidays. It’s from a local Charlotte-area bakery and cannot be beat!)
Question of the Day
What is one thing you’re loving this week?