Homemade Munchkins

What a day!

After my doctor’s appointment, my sister and I headed to the gym to take a strength class.doughnuts 001

Let’s just say the class left a lot to be desired. The instructor’s voice was veeeery laid back. I actually turned to my sister halfway through the class and asked her if she thought he was drunk!

Neither of us were even sweaty once the class was over, but we had a good laugh about it!

We headed home and were greeted by this: doughnuts 023My mom surprised me and my sister with some of our favorite treats (peanut butter M&Ms for me and Oreos for Leslie).

As you can see, they’ve already been opened… I actually ruined my appetite for lunch by consuming so many M&Ms, but still ate a large piece of leftover lasagna because I knew we’d be out and about for a few hours and wanted to have something more substantial than sugar powering me through the day.

Exploring

Around 1:30 p.m., my mom, sister, Sadie and I drove out to Largo, Florida to walk around some trails and explore Pinewood Cultural Park.doughnuts 003

doughnuts 004We had a fun time looking at the plants and wildlife and got a pretty big kick out of this sign…

doughnuts 002

Don’t go touching the alligators’ goodies, okay guys?

Sadie was lovin’ sniffing and exploring.

We laughed when we stumbled upon mini wooden chairs and tried to get Sadie to sit in one. doughnuts 011

It wasn’t too successful.

doughnuts 014

Unfortunately since we’re in the middle of winter, a lot of the plants and crops were dormant or dead. We did see a plethora of unripe bananas. doughnuts 017

My sister quickly transformed herself into the Chiquita banana lady, using the bananas as her fruity headdress. Open-mouthed smile Wee!

Sadie got a little silly with a monkey…

doughnuts 019

…and then became the first doggie astronaut while I transformed into a mermaid.

doughnuts 021Hi Mama and Leslie!doughnuts 022

We ended up spending more time inside the park than we anticipated and actually got locked inside. We scaled the fence (Sadie too!) and made it safely home close to 5 p.m.

Homemade Munchkins

We arrived home ready for a snack to tide us over until my dad arrived home from work for a family dinner.

My mom had the brilliant idea to make homemade munchkins!

I know I can’t be the only person out there in love with Dunkin’ Donuts munchkins. You know, those little doughnut holes?

1292924246252

I can eat ten million of them which is 100 percent okay because they’re clearly calorie-free since they’re so tiny. Winking smile (The same logic works for M&Ms, in case you were wondering.)

When I was growing up, my mom would make homemade doughnut holes for me and my girlfriends whenever they would sleepover. We loved dipping the munchkins in chocolate, powdered sugar, cinnamon and sugar and sprinkles.

When my mom suggested we make homemade  munchkins, my sister and I were more than game.

First, my mom heated some canola oil on the stovetop over medium heat until it began to bubble. doughnuts 024While the oil was heating up, my mom unrolled tube of buttermilk biscuits and cut each biscuit into four pieces using kitchen shears. doughnuts 025Once the oil was bubbling, my mom dropped the biscuit bites into the oil and let them fry for approximately 90 seconds until they were light brown. Flip them, and then let them cook for a minute or so on the other side. Take it from my mama, “Do not walk away from the stove!” This whole process goes very fast!  doughnuts 026doughnuts 027Once the doughnuts are cooked, remove them from the oil and let them cool for a minute or two on some paper towels.

You can then dip them in a myriad of toppings, or do my favorite thing and toss them into a bag of powdered sugar.doughnuts 029Then it’s time to dig in! doughnuts 030Eat them right away because they’re the best when they’re warm! doughnuts 034These little babies are fantastic. If you’re looking for a fun addition to a lazy Sunday morning breakfast, these may be just the thing you’re looking for.

I’m off to chill with the fam before dinner. Hope you’re having a great Friday night!

Comments

Awww looks like a super fun day! I love the photos of Sadie! The more and more I read your blog, the more and more I fall in love with Sadie. I think you are starting to make this self proclaimed “cat person” into a dog person. 😉

HAHA that sign and I love the picture of Sadie in the face-ina-hole!

Speaking of holes, those munchkins look amazzzinngg! What a wonderful redemption for a wierd class this morning :)

3. Alicia says

OMG Sadie is so cute, she looks really into being a monkey! Are you one of those people that wears shorts all year around? I sure am and I live in Northern Cali! I just noticed that you were but your mom and sis weren’t, have a good dinner!

4. Gill (snaxandthecity) says

looks like you had a great day! i’m shamelessly addicted to those cut out face photo things haha!

5. Jenn says

I had not one, but TWO pbfinger run-ins today. First, I’ve never seen a viszla in person in my life, only longingly over your blog but today as my dog was getting his nails trimmed, two adorable, sweet Sadie look-a-likes walked in! I got to pet them and decided one will definitely be in my doggie future! Secondly, I stopped by the grocery to get a few staples and decided to mindlessly check out the bread selection (I can never ever ever find cinnamon raisin bagel thins here!) and BOOM! There they were!! You must have been my guardian angel today, Julie! lol

Huh, what a clever little rendition of donut holes y’all have there! (That’s what we called ’em when I was little, at least…munchkins is new to me!)

And I need to ask…. how in the WORLD did you get Sadie to scale the fence?!?!? That sounds like quite the feat!

My church makes mini munchkin bites like these every first Sunday of the month and they’re always super quick to go!! Sometimes they’re wrapped in cinnamon sugar, and sometimes in good ole’ fashioned powdered suga’…sooo sooo yummy! Love that you posted the recipe:)

8. Kristin says

oh my gosh Julie i just love your blog! the alligator sign and picture of Sadie with the monkey definitely made me laugh out loud. it is so nice to see how well you get along with your mom and sister…i love it :) i hope that the family fun continues and that you are having a good night!

My mom made those when I was little all of the time, but we call them beignets (pronounced benyays) like served at Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter of New Orleans only with powdered sugar. So good!

My mom used to make those too! On special mornings, or when she was just feeling like Suzie-homemaker, my mom would actually cut out the center of the biscuit with a cookie cutter and we’d have both donuts and donut holes! Then we’d coat them in powdered sugar!

Brings back fabulous memories!

11. Theresa says

This is really random, but your sister reminds me of Averie’s (of Love Veggies and Yoga) little girl…grown up!

Never heard of making doughnut holes like that! Sounds good!!!

Do you remember that they came out with peanut butter m&m’s like 15 years ago, and then they were gone. And suddenly like 5ish years ago they were back. It was the best day of my life when I reconnected with peanut butter m&m’s.

ahh there is so much to say on this post!!
    first of all major laughs at the ‘drunk’ instructor!!..
    and that picture with you and sadie in the cutout bodies is HILARIOUS.. she is SUCH a sweetie i cant get over it!
    and you made your own donut bites?!? so genius to use the buttermilk biscuit dough!

Don’t feed or molest? What in the world?! Love your sister’s Chiquita banana pose! Can’t believe you got Sadie to scale a fence…that must have been interesting!

15. Angela says

Do not molest the gators! hahaha who would ever want to get that close?!
    Those homemade munchkins looks awesome! i’m going to have to make some, my husband is a donut fiend!

16. Krista says

When my husband and I first starting dating we used to get munchkins and iced coffee. I am going to surprise him by making these some morning. They look so good and I’m sure the homemade ones don’t have calories either, so that’s great! ; )

OH.MY.GOODNESS! I can’t believe how easy those are! I’ll have to make them soon!

And, I LOL’d so hard at Sadie’s attendance in the pics posing as various characters! I had to show the hubs! LOL! So funny!

Julie,
    Do you like living in Florida full time? I always tell myself I would never want to live somewhere without the full four seasons of the year, and that I would get sick of living somewhere warm and would lose the vacation feel of warm weather in January.
    But, looking at your pictures of hiking in the winter and being outside and enjoying warm and cool weather looks DIVINE. I am in chilly Chicago and every winter I wonder, “Why did I pick Chicago?!”

Nice family pictures! The munchies look great, we sort of treats like that in France, they’re called “bugnes”! Really delicious.

Julie…I made these a couple of weeks ago and had them for dinner. I coat them in brown sugar and cinnamon! They are toooo good and easy, but you’re right, they’re the best when straight from the fryingpan.