Intervals for Beginners

If you’re new to intervals (or totally intimidated by them) but want to incorporate them into your exercise regimen, this morning I completed a workout that I think may be right up your alley!

My workout looked like this:

Easy-to-Follow Intervals

I spent minutes 5 to 23 alternating one minute with fast (for me) running with one minute of fast walking. I decided to keep my running pace at an 8.0 because a comfortable running pace for me on the treadmill is typically a 6.8. By increasing the speed and running faster than I usually would for a minute, I got my heart rate pumpin’, but didn’t feel like I was going to die because I had a substantial recovery period of one minute looming right after each one-minute run. (No chest tightness like Tuesday’s workout. Phew!)

You could easily adjust this interval workout to suit your personal level of fitness. Maybe you want to run at a 9.0 instead of an 8.0, or maybe you’re just getting into running and want to run at a 6.0. Either way, I think this simplified interval workout is a great way to bust boredom on the treadmill while also completing a good workout.

After my time on the treadmill I spent 20 minutes on the elliptical while I waited for Ryan to finish up his shoulder workout.

Then it was time for Sadie’s walk!

Check out her poor old leash!

Ripping Leash

It’s fraying and is definitely on its last leg. Fortunately I ordered her a new one from DogArtCollars, a shop on Etsy (where else?), and can’t wait to get it in the mail soon.

Guess what color it is?

Well, it’s not entirely pink.

Here’s the design on a collar:

From DogArtCollars Etsy Shop

I think it looks happy, feminine and spunky. Just like Sadie!  Well, she’s not exactly “feminine.” Ryan and I say she’s a little tomboy like I was.

After our walk it was  time for breakfast.

Yogurt Bowl

In the mix:

• 1 c. 2% Chobani Greek yogurt
  • Chia seeds
  • Granny Smith apple, chopped (I ate what didn’t make it into the bowl)
  • Homemade cranberry sauce

Cranberry!

To make the cranberry sauce, I just followed the directions on the back of the bag:

• Bring 1 c. water + 1 c. sugar to a boil
  • Add 1 bag cranberries and let simmer until sauce thickens

It’s really easy and tastes delicious! I usually reduce the amount of sugar because I like a more tart-tasting cranberry sauce.

A Nice Lil' Spoonful

Yum!

Since I now have some good fuel in my belly, it’s time to work! See ya for lunch. :)

Comments

Awesome workout! Intervals are the best, they definitely make me feel like I work my butt off in a short amount of time.

LOVE the leash! Might have to get my puppies sometimes Valentine’s Day gifts ;)

2. Janel says

Cute collar!
    Had to share what I found on yahoo! –http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/8-essentials-for-authentic-red-velvet-cake-2451699/

I love the new collar! It’s a super cute print! I have cranberries in my freezer. I keep forgetting to make this cranberry sauce. I need to get to it! It looks so yummy! :)

Aww! Such a cute collar. And it’s a martingale at that. April could use a new one. Her old one used to pink, and now it’s a dull brown. I’d like to get her pink one, so that people might know that she’s a girl (like it isn’t obvious!?!). Maybe for her birthday in a few months.

What a nice collar! It’s crazy how we are just as excited to get gifts for the pups as we are for ourselves. Do you have any tips on using the harness? Or have you experienced any problems? I was thinking about getting one and some reviews I read said that they can irritate the skin under their front legs.

I love cranberry sauce. We modify the recipe on the back of the bag. Instead of 1 cup water, we use 1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice with a little less than 3/4 c. sugar. It’s nice and tart! Mmm…now I want to make it with the frozen bag I have in my freezer!

Have a great day! :D

7. Allie says

Hi Julie! I noticed another comment you got last night and I’ve been thinking the same thing as well. When you prepare dinner for you and Ryan, do you usually not serve carbs with dinner? Personally, I feel I would get too hungry just having a piece of chicken and vegetables. What is your take on carbs with dinner?

• says

hi allie! i just answered her question! here was my reply:

it’s really not intentional. i love carbs, but am not a huge fan of rice and i like to eat pasta as a main dish (not a side), so ryan and i often eat veggies & protein for dinner unless we’re eating ravioli or pasta… mainly b/c i’m too lazy to cook up a potato or rice or something to go along with it. also, after dinner i’ll often eat something w/ more carbs… like fruit, toast w/ peanut butter or a small bag of popcorn as my evening snack. if i’m hungry after a more protein-packed dinner, i’ll definitely grab a snack.

Thank you so much for posting the easy interval workout! I was just thinking this morning about how I need to incorporate some speeeeeed into my runs…and this makes it easy!
    Cute collar! Sadie is a spunky little one. <3

Cute collar!! I love it!

How do you like that style of leash for Sadie?? I like how it goes around her chest. Does it prevent pulling?

I am definitely going to make that cranberry sauce, that recipe is right up my ally: simple and just a couple of ingredients! :)

thank you for posting that interval work out, julie! i’m a baby when it comes to intervals – i stick to what i’m comfortable with and often don’t venture out of my comfort zone. i’ll have to jump out of that zone though. it will really pump up my work out!

i bet sadie will be so excited about the new collar! so cute! :)

11. Anon says

Thanks for doing something for beginners Julie!

I’m a complete beginner ..seriously lol.

1 Q – we have a treadmill at home but I think it’s with a permanent incline (dunno how much)& it’s speeds go up by .1 ( so 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc). Is the treadmill you use the same or does it go up by .5?
    *hope it makes sense*

12. Heather says

Thanks my answering my carb question the other day. I think your post should say Beginning Intervals for Seasoned Runners! if I ran at 8.5mph I would die and they would have to dispose of my body! Lol! I have been running for awhile but I am not very good at a fast pace. Do intervals help with this? Or any other advice? Thanks!

• says

no prob!

you can definitely adjust the above workout to make the intervals more doable for any level. just change the running part to a speed that’s challenging but not killer! maybe that’s a 5.0? it’s great b/c you can make the workout your own!

i think intervals DEFINITELY help with pace. i am not a naturally fast runner and i tend to just run at a steady state, so adding in interval training where i force myself to run faster definitely helps my overall speed.

What a great leash! I should look into buying Bethe one form there.

Does Sadie ever bite her leash like a crazy dog? I was just wondering if this is normal behavior from a Vizsla or not.

Haha, sorry if I treat you as if you are a doggy expert, you are just the only person I know (I use that term loosely) with a Vizsla!

- Lauren

14. Laura says

Thanks for posting the intervals for beginners. Much like everyone else I probably need to decrease the speed a bit on the fast runs. I like how it is shorter than what you generally post cause I could totally not remember all the different time and speed steps lol