Elliptical Workout

I have a confession to make. I tend to use the elliptical as a “cop out” form of working out. It definitely makes me sweat but doesn’t totally kick my butt like interval workouts or spinning classes.

Well, this morning I realized that a kick-butt workout can be achieved on the ellitpical!

After seeing Gabriela post this workout on her blog, I figured an interval workout on the ellitpical was worth a shot. I printed out her workout, but changed it up a bit and ended up completing the following 50-minute routine:

Elliptical Workout

I must say that I’ve never used the elliptical at an incline above 13. Level 18 is no joke! I actually felt like I was on the stair master. I felt so slow, but plugged away!

As you can see above, the hardest part of the workout occurs during the first 30 minutes. I used the last 20 minutes to cool down and read the latest issue of Shape magazine.

After my workout, I came home and took Sadie on a quick walk before digging into a delicious breakfast.

Yogurt Bowl + Chia Seeds + Sweet Potato Puffs

In the mix:

You better believe I incorporated baby cereal into the mix!

Sweet Potato Puffs

Since I clearly cannot be trusted around boxed cereal, I typically avoid buying it. These little puffs are perfect because they satisfy my craving for cereal and for some reason I am much better about exercising portion control around them. Maybe because there are only six servings in a container and I want them to last a while?

Whatever it is, I’m sold. They’re delicious! I was actually a little apprehensive about the sweet potato flavor, but the flavor is light and has the perfect amount of sweetness.

Lunch

…Fast forward through the first half of my day at work…

Lunch!

Thursday's Meal

On my plate:

Curried Cauliflower

Can you believe that the above portion of cauliflower is actually an entire head of cauliflower? Crazy, huh? I swear the oven must be a shrinking machine or something.

Let’s move on to some fun stuff…

iHerb.com $50 Shopping Spree Winner

Holy giveaway entries!!! I wish I have billions of dollars so I could give you all $50 to use to get yourself some yummy food… like coconut butter since you guys apparently want to bathe in the stuff! ;)

Now for the winner…

And the Winner is...

Hooray!

Congratulations Erin! Please email me at pbfingers@gmail.com with your mailing address so you can stock up on some chia seeds.

Of Possible Interest

Comments

I kind of use the elliptical as a cop out too, which is why I tried that workout- glad you liked it! I agree that anything above 13 or 14 is a killer. I had planned to go all the way to 20, but I felt like my movements got too jerky and uncomfortable at the end…really tough! Glad you liked it though!!

Lucky Erin! :) I love that you admitting to being less “intense” on the elliptical….and yes 18 is KILLER! So glad there is another lover for the elliptical out there ;)

I lost 50lbs using the elliptical for 4 miles every morning, it’s a great machine!!!

Curried cauliflower looks delicious, I’m going to have to try that!!

My now 3 year old used to eat those sweet potato puffs by the fist full as a 1 year old, he loved them!

4. LindzGreerIndy says

Those puffs are SO good…I used to eat them along with my daughter when she was little. Then I saw you used them in your yogurt and decided I need to try…once again, you’ve sparked a new obessision for me!!

HI!

Please tell me why you cant have boxed cereal? do you buy lots of baby food things?

I am very much interested!

I joined ww on jan 4th… down 6.0 in six weeks.. not as good as i hoped, I found a few blogs this week that I want to follow and help myself stay in check…

the baby food thing has me roaring to go to the store…

• says

i can have boxed cereal, but i just choose not to buy it because i seriously cannot control myself around it. the same thing goes for ice cream. i cannot seem to stop at one…two… or even 5 servings! the last box of cereal i had was honey nut chex and i ate the entire thing in one day. baby cereal is the only baby food i buy. :) it’s delicious!

6. Britannie says

OMG i love the sweet potato puffs! I’m the same way..me plus cereal equals domination. Haha I dominated the sweet potato puffs one time too though ;)

Well, shoot. What can I use as my cop out workout now??? ;)

I keep eyeing those puffs at the store since I’ve seen them here. The sweet potato flavor definitely caught my attention. Think it might be time to pull the trigger!

I never go hard on the elliptical either, and I never trust its calorie meter (it doesn’t feel like I’m working hard enough to burn as many calories as running). I’ll have to try this plan out though, maybe I’ll work as hard as spinning!

I am going to have to try that baby cereal! I always thought it was weird that I eat banana baby food for snacks… I feel like people are looking at me funny when I buy it! haha

10. Lisa says

I never buy cereal either, for the same reason that I can go through a box in a single day. I LOVE the gerber puffs (Banana is my favorite) and have gotten used to the strange looks I get when I pull them out of the drawer at work :)
    But, another love of mine: Kay’s Naturals Better Balance Protein Cereal! It comes in two flavors, Apple Cinnamon and French Vanilla and you can get them in single serving packages! They are only 100 cal per serving, with 9 grams of protein.
    Their chili nacho cheese chips and pretzels are also really good!

11. Katie May says

I just did this elliptical workout today and it KICKED my booty!! I did not realize that I could work so hard on that machine! Thank you for this! :)

12. Meredith says

I just did this workout this morning at the gym – I only took 5 minutes to cool down instead of 20, since I was short on time… but holy! I did not think the elliptical could be this difficult – I’ve never sweat on the elliptical like that before! Thanks for the great workouts!

I tried this today and LOVED it… and I was sweating buckets! I love your site and read it daily. I know you have workout playlists, and our taste in music is a little different but maybe you’d like the one-click-playlists on my website. It’s a lot of music like Wynter Gordon’s “Dirty Talk”… anything to get me moving. Hopefully you’ll like them! (they might be a little too electro for you taste…)

14. Sharon says

Wow! I did the elliptical workout today at the gym and that was definitely the hardest I’ve ever worked on the elliptical before! I don’t really care for the elliptical because its boring, but with your interval plan I had no time to be bored!! I also did a treadmill workout of yours the other day and it was super tough (but awesome) as well! I am looking forward to trying more and more of your workouts to help me reach my goal! Love the blog! Thanks!

15. Maire says

Hi Julie! I really like exercising, but I have a problem sometimes when I do exercise (usually only when I am outside). I get really light headed and dizzy. Along with all of this I feel like I am going to throw up my meal I ate before! I play tennis and that is usually when it happens the most. I eat very healthy (I do have a sweet treat every night). I also don’t eat very much sodium, to be honest I have no idea how much I eat but my mother thinks it could be a factor. Have you experienced this or know what is going on?