House Call

Another day, another workout at the hotel gym!

Today’s workout began with 20 minutes on the elliptical before I hopped off to complete a total-body weights workout.

I did three sets of 15 repetitions of the following exercises:

• Single leg split squat with exercise ball (an exercise I learned from Carissa’s blog)
  • Bicep curls
  • Tricep dips
  • Overhead press
  • Deadlifts
  • Chest press
  • Tricep extensions
  • Side shoulder raises
  • Hamstring exercise ball curls
  • Bridges
  • Various crunches on the ball (150 total)

As always, I supersetted the majority of these exercises, meaning I do three sets of two exercises back to back before moving on to the next two exercises.

Once gym time was done, it was time for breakfast!

Today’s morning meal was another egg sandwich, made with scrambled eggs and a toasted English muffin topped with grape jelly from the hotel’s breakfast buffet.

blueberry scone 003

I had about 3/4 of a delicious blueberry scone.

blueberry scone 001

It was surprisingly moist and crumbly.

House Call

About halfway through the morning I got a phone call from Ryan to check out a new house that recently popped up for rent in the area of Ocala that we are hoping to live.

We met our realtor at the house at 11:15 a.m. to check it out and had quite a few good laughs.

The place was big and sunny, but had swan wallpaper (seriously!) in one of the bathrooms and didn’t feel very clean.

In the end it was a no go, but now Ryan and I are feeling more and more confident about potentially submitting an application and moving forward with renting the beautiful house with the pool. Assuming that place works out, we would have a place to live on August 15. We’ll see!

New Book

On my way home from the appointment with our realtor, I stopped into Barnes & Nobel to pick up a new book.

blueberry scone 007

Sarah’s Key!

According to a review on Amazon.com: “This is a remarkable historical novel, a book which brings to light a disturbing and deliberately hidden aspect of French behavior towards Jews during World War II. Like Sophie’s Choice, it’s a book that impresses itself upon one’s heart and soul forever.”

This book sounds emotional, interesting and thought-provoking and I can’t wait to dive in.

Comments

1. Emily says

That is a great book! I actually bought it twice because I forgot it when going out of town and really wanted to finish it on the plane, so i bought it again at the airport!

My mom loved Sarah’s Key–she still talks about it to this day! My wife and I got it for her for her birthday awhile ago. The book was just made into a movie and we can’t wait to take her to the movie when it’s released in Cleveland!

3. Julie says

I’m so glad you are reading Sarah’s Key…it is one of those books you will never forget! I actually read it right before a trip to Paris and it honestly made me think about so many things differently, it’s really an eye-opener. Just a warning though: it is sad and there are a few parts that are quite haunting. I think it is a book that everyone needs to read and I hope you like it as much as I did!

I read that book with my book club! Most of the girls loved it. There were some parts that I loved, some not so much, and some parts that I wish had gone on forever! I definitely loved the historical aspect of the book.
    Cant wait to hear what you think :)

Will you be reading it with Ryan too, or is this just a “Julie” book?

Good call on the no-go swan-paper…. I think I’d only think of that part in Billy Madison where he’s in the bathtub and says “Stop looking at me, SWAN!”

Only there’d be dozens of swans….. creepy creepy swans.

Dodged a bullet there, I’d say.

6. Heather says

So happy for you and Ryan on the house hunting situation. You have been so patient and positive throughout everything!

Being half Jewish, that book anf others like ot always hit home. It id a reality that is often painful…but necessary…to face. It really makes you appreciative for freedom.

7. Amy says

Just finished Sarah’s Key a few weeks ago and loved it! So so sad but so good. Also, it was made into a movie that came out on July 22nd – I never saw a preview for it but saw it in US Weekly or some magazine like that. Makes me think it’s not very good, but who knows.

part of me thinks it would be awesome to live in a hotel for a while, but the other part of me would totally miss stability and my “normal” life. you are doing an awesome job of waking the line between the 2! (and that scone looks awesome!)

9. Anne @strawberryjampackedlife says

France and the Holocaust! That book sounds right up my alley. And I’m in the market for a new book to read. Thanks for the suggestion!

10. Shelby says

AMAZING book! I read it on my flight to Paris this summer and it really put things into a different perspective. It’s haunting and makes you think long after you’re done reading it. Can’t wait to hear what you think!

11. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

I’ve heard that book is wonderful!

Too bad about the house, no pics of the swan wallpaper though?

12. Erin @ Naturally Addicted says

I hope it all works out with the house with the pool! I’ve been wanting to go out and buy this book! Thanks for reminding me :) The movie comes out soon!

13. Marilyn says

Just finished “Sarah’a Key ” about 2 weeks ago. You will love it. After that I moved on to ” The Help” which I also enjoyed.

14. Brittany says

My vote is for the house with the pool! Swan wallpaper didn’t sound so bad at first but the more I thought about it the more creepy and daunting it became.

15. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled says

I loved Sarah’s Key! My mother-in-law lent it to me and I read it in 2 days. Could not put it down. Love the novels with a historical context to them. You’ll have to let us know how you liked it.

I had no idea what a super set was but I LOVE doing my ST that way!! I hate when I run through them all once, then the second time and end up with a few extra minutes or worse, not enough time! Doing it the super set way always allows me to add a move or two if I have time or remove a move or two if I don’t. Who knew I was being so super?!?!?

17. Amanda says

Did you ever get a quote on the lawn service? I hope it wasn’t too bad! That is a beautiful house and I hope it works out for you guys!

18. Jamie @ snacktress says

Ohh, I iz craving a scone now.

Good luck with the house! That would be great to have a place on the 15th! And I can’t wait to hear what you think about Sarah’s Key…I’ve heard great things about it and want to read it before the movie comes out.

19. Lo says

OH MY GOODNESS! i love that book. it is one of the best books i’ve ever read. i seriously suggest her others! this made my day! good luck with the house hunting. x

20. Natalie says

I read Sarah’s Key last summer and I am pretty sure that I finished it in 3 days. Amazing book that you wont be able to put down. Enjoy!

21. Lindsay says

I totally still vote for the house with the pool! I think the pluses of that place will totally outweigh the commute to the gym :)

22. Shayla @ The Good Life says

Good luck with the house with the pool! That one is gorgeous and I love the layout of that house…perfect to raise a lil family in too 😉

Omg swan wallpaper? That sounds horrendous! I think the place with the pool looked beautiful! Fingers crossed for you two!

And oh I’m always looking for a new book to read.. can’t wait to hear what you think of it!

1. That weights workout looks insane. I think I might have to try it tomorrow morning!

2. Sarah’s Key is supposed to be great; I’ve wanted to read it for awhile but haven’t gotten around to it. Excited to see what you think of it!

3. You’re going to think I’m a total creeper, but there was a moment during the Bachelorette finale last night where I wished I was watching it with you to see your reaction. It was when she was rejecting Ben’s proposal—it was just so awkward!

25. Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) says

I just finished Sarah’s Key and it was amazing! I couldn’t put it down. I am reviewing it later this week on my blog :) Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

26. Blair says

Sarah’s Key is a great book and they just came out with a movie. I just saw it and it was wonderful. Go see it after you read the book!

Love new books and a relaxing afternoon (although it’s sort of elusive, haha)

Now you have me craving reading…might just have to take some time off this afternoon! 😉

QUESTION! How do you have the energy to work out before you’ve eaten anything in the morning? i would love to work out before work but never have any energy before i’ve eaten breakfast and would probably pass out on the elliptical if I hit the gym straight after waking up!

I’m glad it reaffirmed that the house with the pool is the right one! There’s nothing worse than feeling torn! After we signed our most recent lease I told my boyfriend we couldn’t look at any more listing for fear we would have missed out!

that book sounds really good! And sad. Oh man I love all sorts of films and books that are related to semitism (of course I don’t like semitism itself!! oh no) But it’s so real and touching, and it reminds me of how much more there is to be done in life and in this world.

Swans remind me of the scene in Billy Madison (one of my favourite moves BTW) where he is in the bathtub and the ‘swan’ is starring at him! Haha.

I am going to try out todays workout during my lunch break, thanks for the inspiration! I love all your workouts but I always have to convert them to the metric system, since I live in New Zealand but they are sure worth it :)

32. Isabel says

omg…I read ‘Sarah’s Key’ last summer and it is such a great (and heartbreaking) book. I love historical fiction and this book is one of my all time favorites!

A house with a pool would be awesome, im jealous!
    I’ve heard great things about Sarah’s Key, but those types of books make me too sad. Might give it a go anywho.

34. Katherine says

Girrrrl, I have to thank you. I found your blog through Clean Eating Chelsey (when you guest posted) and I am absolutely loving it.

I was in a total workout slump for a couple of months, so I’ve been printing your treadmill workouts and they are absolutely revving up my routine again! Having the print-out really makes it easier to stick to my workout. A bunch of times I’ve kept going to finish the workout when normally I would have stopped out of boredom.

Thank you so much!

35. kate @ pomelo sunshine says

Sarah’s Key was so good. For me it was a really fast read. I love historical fiction and this book totally hit the spot – enjoy!

Sarah’s Key is one of my favorite books I’ve read in the past five years–it’s incredible! de Rosnay wrote another that came out last year, A Secret Kept, which wasn’t as fascinating as Sarah’s Key but still very entertaining (and also takes place in France). Hope you like it!

37. Carrie says

I love that book! Good choice! By the way, if you haven’t already you should try reading Jane Green, Kristin Hannah or Jennifer Weiner. All good authors, but probably “Julie-only” material.

Thanks for the great workout! I completed that with 20 Minutes of HIIT and I can feel the burn but not overly intense that I could complete the workout during my lunchbreak. I do have a 2hour lunch break.

Thanks for the workout blog love! The “boost” (MEGA-boost) in my blog stats really cheered me up yesterday! The dog drama was really draining me!

And now after reading all these comments now I want to read Sarah’s Key!

40. Megan says

Great choice! I read Sarah’s Key a few months ago and absolutely loved it. Fair warning, it made me cry — in public, on a plane. My boyfriend laughed at me. :)