Hometown Claim to Fame

For those of you who tweeted to me last night during The Bachelor, yes, Lindzi did bring Ben to my new hometown of Ocala to meet her family!

lindzi bachelor

And yes, Ocala is known for horses. Ocala is actually known as the “horse capital of the world.”  Fancy, huh? I live in quite the happenin’ place!

Ryan and I were waiting to see if Lindzi took Ben anywhere out and about in Ocala to get some more ideas of fun things to do in our little town, but they stayed close to home. Looks like riding horses really is one of the main forms of entertainment here!

Too bad our steed is a bit smaller than most…

dog faster than horse

Workout

Today’s workout began with 10 minutes on the arc trainer, followed by 10 minutes on the elliptical.

Then it was time for some strength training! I spent about 35 minutes completing the following exercises:

back bicep workout

Last night as my mushroom and spinach wheat berry mock risotto was simmering, I took advantage of the wait time and chopped up a bunch of vegetables to use throughout the rest of the week.

It was a nice lil’ time-saving shortcut that came in handy this morning!

mushroom spinach wheat berry risotto 025

I used chopped onion, red and yellow pepper in a three-egg and cheese scramble and loved the added punch of flavor and color. Plus, they  were much prettier than typical scrambled eggs!

mushroom spinach wheat berry risotto 028

These eggs were so good that I’m considering making tonight a “breakfast for dinner” kind of night!

Question of the Morning

• What is your hometown’s “claim to fame?”
  • What do you think your hometown should be known for?

Ocala is all about horses and Orlando was definitely known for all of the Disney theme parks, though there is so much more to both places! If you have plans to travel to Orlando, I highly recommend venturing outside of the parks and taking in some of the other wonderful things that the city has to offer. I list my favorite “non-theme park” activities in this post: Orlando: The Non-Theme Park Side.

Comments

1. briana says

How fun that Ocala is the horse capital, I used to show horses when I was younger. So, I totally turned off my 5 am alarm this morning for more sleep and decided to workout after teaching for 8hrs….probably a mistake!

I had no clue that Ocala is the horse capital! I live in the Philadelphia area so we are pretty famous for cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, water ice and more! 🙂

Those scrambled eggs look delicious! I love that you added so many things to jazz it up. Regular scrambled eggs get boring most of the time to me.

I’m originally from Bath, Ohio (near Akron) and I’d say that our two claims to fame are being the hometown of LeBron James and Jeffrey Dahmer. LeBron lives in the neighborhood behind my parents’ house where I grew up (when he’s not in Miami) and Jeffrey Dahmer went to my high school. Fun stuff, haha.

Jamestown NY – Birth place of Lucille Ball. They even have a ‘Lucy-fest’ – a delightfully creepy festival where hundreds of women, babies, and sometimes men run around in red wigs acting like Lucy… 🙂

John Mayer and James Blake went to my high school. And John Mayer wanted to come back and film his music video for the song “no such thing” but the dean of my high school wouldn’t let him. I was pretty bummed about that because I was in high school when he would have done it and I used to have a huge crush on him but my opinion of him his drastically changed since he seems like a jerk!

I live in between Baltimore and D.C, so I never lack places to go. But since driving and parking can be a nightmare, I take advantage of my hometown which is like a super planned out suburb. Like all all the streets are named after people and places from The Hobbit.

My hometown is known for having the University of North Carolina, and I’m very pleased with that! It’s also known for its foodie scene, and again, I’m happy with that as well 🙂

Didn’t get to watch the Bach last night, but I hope I get some free time in the coming days before someone spoils who got sent home for me! I’ve been going around with blinders on 🙂

My hometown is known for wings, bad weather, and bad sports teams, but it also has other great foods, and great music and art, so people who come are surprised that it’s actually pretty nice.

9. Kalynn says

My hometown (Thorndale, TX) was the setting for the movie “The Rookie” with Dennis Quaid! I was even an extra for the movie, but I’m never on screen. Several of my friends were, though! It’s pretty crazy to see our tiny town in a movie!

10. Kristin says

I think breakfast for dinner would be a great idea! It is Fat Tuesday and one of the traditions is to eat pancakes 🙂

I’m from Austin, Texas — Live Music Capital of the World.

11. Sarah says

My hometown was known for the first amusement park in America- Coney Island! Brooklyn may not seem very small town, but in the Coney Island area we were definitely small town, everyone-knows-everyone and their secrets and family history type place 🙂

12. Megan S. says

My hometown’s claim to fame is The Derby! I’m from Louisville so we’re known for our Louisville Slugger bats, The Derby, mint julips, horses and being a great northern-southern city 🙂

13. lauren says

Just FYI, Lexington, KY is also known as the “horse capital of the world” as are a few other cities across the globe. I think there are approx 5 cities that are “allowed” to use the title haha. However, I am fairly sure Lex is the more agreed upon locale, and I say that as a proud Floridian haha.

I grew up in Midlothian, Virginia which was know for coal mines. From what I remember coal from Midlothian was used to heat the White House back a long time ago.

Now I am in Charleston, S.C. which is known for many things! The start of the Civil War at Fort Sumter is the first thing that comes to mind.

15. Amber @ Bring In-the-Pink says

I totally thought of you when I saw Ocala on Bachelor last night!

I’m from Orange City, IA which is a huge DUTCH community – all the businesses even have to have dutch looking fronts! We celebrate Tulip Festival every May, complete with authentic Dutch costumes!

16. Emily says

My hometown is really small… we don’t even have a stop light! We aren’t known for much except for the high school’s athletic program. Alot of people pay tuition for their kids to go to school there just so they can play sports. Most recently – we’re known for a student/ teacher scandal that randomly came out of nowhere from 10+ years ago 🙂 gotta love small town drama.

17. Molly says

Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin…troll capital of the world. Yes, trolls. We have hand carved life sized trolls all throughout our town. Especially during the summer you will be driving around seeing tourists taking pictures with the trolls. Cool, right? Oh and we also only have one stop light now and 5 round abouts. So we are known as the round about town too. We are so neat!

I dont know too much about my new town in NC yet (though it is the location of RJ reynolds tobacco and Krispy Kreme haha) but my actual hometown in alaska (North Pole) is known for the Santa Clause house and the candy cane street lap poles…. other than that Im not quite sure what it should be known for, it is a pretty small/quiet little place!

19. Katie says

Let’s see—Wilmington, Delaware.

1) Joe Biden’s hometown
    2) It’s rumored that the Fight Club is based in Wilmington. It wasn’t filmed here, but there are all sorts of clues in the movie.

That’s about all I got. OH, and tax free shopping!

• Kaitlyn @ Pain Can Be Fun says

Both of my parents grew up in Wilmington! My Dad actually taught Beau Biden, Joe’s son. I’ve been there TONS of times! 🙂

My hometown in Tennessee, where I lived from kindergarten until I graduated high school, is where the movie October Sky was filmed.

Not only that… my dad was an EXTRA IN THE MOVIE! Which means he met Jake Gyllenhaal *swwwwooooonnnn* You can see him in the ending scenes where they shoot off the rocket. He’s the tall blonde, if you’re ever looking!

21. Emily says

My tiny hometown of Almonte, Ontario, Canada is famous for being the birthplace of Dr. James Naismith, inventor of basketball! A lot of people don’t know he was Canadian!

I am from Saratoga Springs, NY where horse racing is also very popular! Every summer people come here from all over for the races. I worked there seasonally for years!

ha…where I grew up in Hillside, NJ was always touted as a “great place to live and work”…it was a very industrial environment, not too charming. now I kind of live in hillbilly central, I’m not sure what their claim to fame is, except that we have ALOT of veterans in our town and everyone knows each other. believe me, thats weird for jersey 😉

Ahhhh this is making me excited to watch the Bachelor tonight! I’m from Kansas City, which is known for BBQ! Anthony Bourdain named Oklahoma Joe’s a KC BBQ place (Which is actually out of a gas station… haha) as one of the top 13 places in the world to eat before you die! It really is pretty good…

I grew up in a very very small town in upstate New York. I really don’t know what the claim to fame was … other than it being the largest town (land / acreage wise) in St. Lawrence County. Funny – I never really thought about it.

I grew up in Wabasha, MN, which is the home of “Grumpy Old Men” AND home of the National Bald Eagle center. We’re right on the Mississippi, and we get tons! Now I’m in Denver, so yeah, the mountains! 🙂

Hometown = Plattsburg, Missouri (population of 2,500 people). The claim to fame is being the hometown of David Rice Atchison, who was President for a day when the incoming President couldn’t be sworn in on the day he was to take office for religious reasons. Thus, the story goes, Atchison, as the President pro tempore of the United States Senate for six years, actually stepped in as President of the United States for one day on March 4, 1849! It’s even on Wikipedia, so that confirms the story’s validity!

Ooo I can’t wait to see Bachelor tonight (I recorded it) to see what Ocala is like.

I live in Calgary, Canada and we are known for the Stampede which is a big carnival-type event involving horses and rodeos. Not really my style but we are also known for being close to the Rocky mountains, which I love.

29. Kaitlyn @ Pain Can Be Fun says

I’m from Newport, RI originally….it is definitely known for its beaches, mansions, and boating. I don’t “boat” or sail at all….I think it should be known for it’s gorgeous running routes! 🙂
    Now, I live in DC, which kind of a well known little town stuck in between Maryland and Virginia 🙂

Have a great day! Your breakfast looks delicious!

How interesting! I know there are a lot of top show stables in Florida, but didn’t know Ocala was the center of it.

My home town, Seattle, is known for the Space Needle, the Pike Place Market, Starbucks, and the water. It SHOULD be known for Gorditos, Pho Than Brothers and Scooters Burgers. My favorite eats in town!

My hometown of Hinton, Iowa has an annual Tractor Pull that’s kind of a big deal! For a town of 800, they bring in thousands for that thing… I’m not sure what else it could possibly be known for. The Long Branch (restaurant) and rumors? Haha

I grew up where the movie Groundhog Day was filmed – Woodstock, Illinois. It also claims to be one of the most haunted places in the country. A friend of mine took a picture outside of the “house with no corners” with a face floating in the background! Yikes!

My hometown’s claim to fame is currently the Voltaggio Brothers (of Top Chef fame). Both went to high school here, and Bryan still lives and operates his restaurant here.
    Frederick, MD is also the birth place of Francis Scott Key (bonus points if you know what he’s famous for!).

I was a little surprised at the rose ceremony last night. Even though I’m fairly certain that I know who Ben chooses in the end, I guess my guesses for the final two were off!
    I thought Lindzi’s parents seemed the coolest by far, too.

My hometown (Malmö, Sweden) is known for something called “turning torso” which is a very tall building tuning around. It’s also known for it’s bridge over to copenhagen, Denmark but I think it should be known for amazing nature, fresh fish and bio-thinking. The town is young and it’s in our culture to take care of earth. It has become some kind of fashion and it shows every where. But that’s only my point of view…

35. Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine says

made eggs this morning, too! used leftover veggies from homemade fajitas last night!

My hometown, Columbus OH, is known for The Ohio State Buckeyes, and being 8th best place to live by CNN Money…haha

36. Valerie @ FreshMutz says

While Bergen County, NJ is home to some of the real housewives of NJ and Rev Run, my little suburban town is not famous for anything. However, I used to live in Hoboken which is the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra and home to Carlo’s Bakery of “Cake Boss” fame.

37. Geneva says

My hometown Dunn, NC is the Dump Truck Capital of the World. I work in Fayetteville, NC and its known as having the World’s Largest Dollar Tree. As you can tell I’m not from a very exciting place haha. My boyfriend on the other hand lives in Manteo, NC the birthplace of America’s first English child, which is only about 10 minutes from Kitty Hawk, where the Wright brothers flew the first airplane.

38. Lisa says

I’m from Seattle, the birthplace of a little coffee shop, you might have heard of it, Starbucks 🙂 it is really funny to be downtown and overhear tourists going into various Starbucks and inevitably asking “Is this the original one?” The original is pretty cool! Although it ALWAYS has a line out the door!

39. Sara says

Bowling green Ohio home of the national tractor pull. This sounds mean but i was imagining the smells of a horse farm in florida summers haha

I’m not really sure what Clermont (FL) is “famous” for. It’s popular among triathletes for the hills, and Sugar Loaf Mountain. I suppose the Citrus Tower is a somewhat popular landmark.

41. Emily says

My hometown, Petaluma, used to be the “egg basket of the country” – it had the highest egg production of any city in the US. There are still chicken coops in various states of disrepair all over the town, and pretty much everyone and their mother (including my family!) still owns chickens 🙂

42. Katie G. says

I’m from Collinsville, IL. Home of the Largest Ketchup Bottle in the World and an International Horseradish Festival. I wish I was joking.

43. Traci says

I live in a really small town in New Jersey and it’s not really known for anything, but Plaxico Burress (Giants player who shot himself in the leg) lives here!

• Traci says

Also, I went to high school the town over (Little Falls, NJ), and the Jonas Brothers grew up there (thought you would appreciate that one). We used to see them sometimes out in town, especially at Rita’s Italian ice. Their family still lives there I believe, so maybe I’ll have another sighting!

My hometown is known for Jaime Moyer, one of the pitchers for the Phillies when they won the world series. They had my HS’s marching band lead the world series parade. Definitely not a bad thing to be known for 🙂

I looooooove the Sadie pictures with quotes, they seriously crack me up!!!!

45. Meg @RunRideLove says

My hometown in Corning, NY. Small town in upstate which is the home of the fortune 500 company Corning Inc. And the Corning Glass Museum. We are also in the heart of the Finger Lakes, which is an amazing tourist destination.

46. Rachel says

My hometown (Huntsville, AL) is really known for one thing, NASA.
    Beyond that, I don’t think we’re known for much more than that bed intruder guy.

My hometown’s claim to fame is our white squirrels!! & I think it’s okay that that is what we’re known for. We’re a small town & don’t have too much exciting going on, but we have white squirrels everywhere!

My hometown is Austin, TX…our claim to fame is def ACL and SXSW. Super fun and super popular. Oh, we also have the Longhorns. So, college football puts us on the map too.

I’m from a small town (Cranston) in the smallest state (Rhode Island) that is best known for being the basis of Quahog, RI on The Family Guy. Oh, and Pauly D. from Jersey Shore grew up in the town next to me. Ahh, little Rhody. Keeping it classy, as usual.

I grew up in the “Glass City” (toledo oh) If you go to bed bath and beyond and look at their barware, a lot of the plain glasses (stemware, beer glasses, etc) are by Libbey Glass, and those were manufactured in Toledo!

51. Julia says

Unfortunately, my hometown’s claim to fame is “The Place Where Snooki Is From”. ::cringe:: I think it should be known as a town with beautiful fall foliage…but whatever, apparently Snooki is more interesting.

52. Yellow Haired Girl says

My hometown is known for how many cows there are around it. Which is awful…because along with that comes “the town that smells like cow poop”. It should be known for the best chocolate shakes on the planet at this little greasy spoon restaurant on main street 🙂

Awe my hometown’s claim to fame is Stone Mountain- it is one of the world’s largest pieces of exposed granite. It also has a confederate carving on it’s north face. The summer laser show is definitely the best part aside from the running and hiking trails!

I’m from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We are best known for beer… and while we still have some amazing local breweries, it’s time for people to revisit the stereotype! Milwaukee is an awesome, upcoming city – the average age of a Milwaukeean is 30.2 and our calendars are packed with exciting events and concerts. Downtown MKE has tons of great restaurants, and nothing can beat our beautiful Lakefront, museums and recreations.

The place my mom lives that I moved to when I was 14 is called Ferndale, CA. Its one of those places where everyone knows everyone. when I go back home my facebook blows up with “Raquel, I heard you are home” not even 2 minutes after I cross the Bridge over the river! Its a little touristy/dairy town in Northern California on the coast. They have filmed 4 movies there “The Majestic” (which I was an extra in for 3 months), “Outbreak” and “Salems Lot”. The town is also depicted in LegoLand! Its pretty funny, the Lego people came to ferndale and then decided they were going to depict it in LegoLand without telling anyone! Ferndale has tons of Danish settlers, and Lego is a Danish company, so that was the allure for the Lego people. Ferndale also boasts the oldest horse racing track in California. It was the runner up for the location of the movie “Seabiscuit”, but they went with another location.

Ferndale’s Main Street Depicted in Legoland http://www.flickr.com/photos/billward/110294042/

My Hometown is a small town up in northern california called Ferndale. It’s a small town of 1200 people, that is right on the Lost Coast and has many dairys and Bed and Breakfasts. Ferndale is depicted in LegoLand! http://www.flickr.com/photos/billward/110294042/
    And they have also filmed 3 movies there “The Majestic” (Which I was an extra in for 3 months), “Outbreak” and “Salem’s Lot”.
    It also boasts California’s oldest horse racing track. They were considering filming Seabiscuit there, but we lost out to another town!

57. Hollie Nicholson says

My hometown is known for the Indianapolis 500 and most recently hosting the greatest Superbowl of all time, and of course for our Hoosier Hospitality. As a state, nothing beats the basketball here.

Providence RI is known for a ton of things, RISD, BROWN, Waterfire… RI is actually a pretty cool place to live because we have it all within a very small space..We have the beach, woods, city…1/2 an hour from each other and Boston and NY are pretty close too..

59. Nathan Miller says

Portland Indiana….hometown of a few thousand people, in the middle of the cornfields of North East Indiana. Known for corn, soybeans, Amish…and oh…one of the largest Antique Tractor and Motor conventions in the county…its a little backwards at times, but am proud to call it my hometown

60. jules says

hi julie! i am in a breakfast rut and looked to your website (which i follow daily!) for some inspiration! i noticed you eat a lot of eggs…do you ever worry about cholesterol? do you know how many eggs per week is a good amount? thanks!

61. Terri says

Unfortunantly, the only thing Flagstaff is known for is tourism. We’re so close to the Grand Canyon. There’s a great university here though. I love it anyway!
    I love breakfast for dinner, too!

62. sarah says

I’m from lexington kentucky- and its actually a big debate where the horse capitol of the world is- but we definately lay claim to that title!! And funny enough- i’m flying into orlando TOMORROW <- excited face for some warmth… and will definately be reading your orlando- the non theme park suggestions! I'm running the disney princess half on sunday and making a mini vacation out of it!

63. Cheryl says

I’m from the Pocono Mountains, PA, land of the heart-shaped pools and champagne glass bath tubs, which stand 7 feet tall I might add. I’ve seen those rooms in person and they also have mirrors on the ceiling. Ha! This is a major vacation area that has everything you could imagine, but it’s also only two hours from NYC and three hours from Atlantic City.

64. Fernando Rumore says

The reason Iran wants nukes in the first place is that they see the actions of the US and Israel and to a small extent Pakistan and existential threats. We have misplayed our hand in our dealings with Iran.

65. Zoe says

Well my hometown is Seattle, and is known for rain and coffee! These things are actually very appropriate and yes, it does drizzle almost all the time (except right now!)

What I wish Seattle was known for is the beautiful scenery from being on the coast, having three large lakes in the city, and our beautiful Cascade Mountains and Mt. Ranier so close and visible. I also wish people knew how active Seattleites are, and what good readers we are! Seattle always ranks highly on checking out the most books from the library and being the most well-read.