New Recipe Week

Lunch today was tuna salad salad.

tuna salad 004

Double the salad, double the fun.

tuna salad 005

I made a batch of tuna salad and served it on top of a bed of shredded lettuce.

In addition to the moisture added to the salad by the tuna salad, I added a small Sabra Hummus Singles cup to the mix for some additional flavor.

tuna salad 009

tuna salad 008

I also sipped on a bottle of Hint strawberry kiwi water from the Fitness Magazine Meet & Tweet swag bag.

tuna salad 010

As a flavored water fanatic, this water was right up my alley. The water contains no sugar or artificial sweeteners and just a hint of fruity flavor. I’m a fan.

New Recipe Week

When I was wasting three hours at the airport as I awaited my flight back to Florida from Boston on Friday, I took some time to flip through several magazines (and eat a red velvet cupcake).

Recipe after recipe started calling to me from the pages of the magazines and I quickly realized I haven’t changed up my evening meals in quite a while. I’ll follow the occasional recipe, but I seem to default to making similar dinners week after week. (Broiled salmon. Every week.)

While I want the dinners I make to be fast, I don’t want to sacrifice flavor for time and flagged a handful of recipes that looked healthy, simple and made me feel excited! All too often, Ryan and I tackle dinner quickly and our meals have become rather routine and mundane.

I’d like to put a little more effort into getting excited about dinner and am declaring this week “New Recipe Week” in our household. Each night we’ll be making a new recipe we’ve never tried before to hopefully put a little pizazz back into our evening meals.

Our current lineup (in no particular order):

I’m already excited for dinner and it’s not even 3 p.m.! I think that’s a good sign!

Question of the Afternoon

• How often do you try new recipes?

Comments

I can’t wait to see how your recipes turn out! They all sound great. I often find myself getting into a rut with dinner too. I used to try new recipes all the time. Lately dealing with my stomach issues, I haven’t been able to as much. I still would like to incorporate new stomach friendly meals. For now, I’ll live through you :)

2. Annie says

my new fave recipe is to saute a ton of different veggies in some coconut oil, add two whole chicken sausage links with a can of diced tomatoes, some seasoning…and let it all cook together. then, slice the chicken sausage before serving. seriously so quick and SO yummy.

I actually try new recipes pretty frequently and wish I had more go-to dishes that are easy fixings when I don’t feel like being creative! Every week, I sit down and come up with a menu for the week’s dinners and then grocery shop based off that and I always forget to re-make the stand outs! Gotta work on that.

Probably 2-3 times a week! We rarely repeat meals, and have quite the rotation. Some things that are just okay never get made again whereas our favs are made monthly.

5. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says

There are a few grammatical and spelling mistakes in the New Recipe Week section of this post! I’m the editing a-hole :)… Sorry!
    Having said all that… I think single serving containers of hummus are the best! I would eat an entire big container if it was available to me.

6. Kayla says

We try one new recipe every week! The rest of the week are always the same old meals and can definitely get boring…once a week is nice because it gives you something to look forward tooo!

We have the opposite problem in my house… I make new things all the time, to the point where my husband goes, “Um, Spaghetti is OK for dinner once in awhile, too!” HA. That’s what he gets for marrying someone who loves to cook! :) Can’t wait to see how all your yummy treats turn out :)

I don’t actually try them that often, but I did try one last night! It was from the Canyon Ranch cookbook, and was their healthier take on Peppered Chicken in a pepper cream sauce. It was still only about 250 calories though, and really good!

9. Robyn says

When Ryan and I first started dating, we had something we called “CANMN” (cook a new meal night) which was a way for us to make sure we spent quality time together at least one night during the work week and learn to cook something new, as we both love cooking. Within the first year we tried making lamb, baklava, a new veggie each month and all sorts of things! I blogged our adventures the entire year and it was a great way to capture not only the recipes so we had them on hand, but our blossoming relationship. We are now married and have a fantastic cookbook to browse through!

I’m a HUGE recipe/meal planning nerd. Every Sunday I spend an hour or so creating a meal plan (+ also post these on my blog if you ever wanna check them out!), which includes not only dinners, but breakfasts, snacks + lunches as well! From this, I make a grocery list and shop away :) I REALLY enjoy having my meals all planned out for the week since I can’t stand coming home from work and having to think about what to make/what I have in the house! Obviously there is room for flexibility in case I end up going out with friends or are feeling really lazy or what not, but for the most part I know what I’m making every day and it seems much more stress-free that way! :)

11. Nicole says

I love all those recipes they sound delicious! And I need to know, do you like chobani or oikos? Because I’m a chobani girl and I tried oikos and loved it too… which is your preference?

Oh and I forgot to mention! All of this recipe/meal planning usually involves one new recipe a week! I used to do almost a new recipe every night, but then it got to be TOO much work. Plus, my bf would always complain that I’d make something he loves & then he’d never get to have it again! I now try to limit myself to one new recipe a week + then depending on how I like it, add it to the rotation!

I LOVE trying new recipes. Honestly, sometimes I do it when I have a ton of homework due because it relaxes me. Just made a Tomato-Basil “cake” (from a recipe on carrot’n’cake) and did homework while it was baking. Calms me down, get some homework done, and get to eat an AWESOME meal. Win-win-win.

• says

oh, and I usually end up cooking 2 or 3 new recipes a week and then taking a week or two off to make old favorite, or repeat those recent new ones, and then repeating that cycle the following weeks.

I am open to trying new recipes every time I make up my meal list before I go grocery shopping; especially if I have most of the items needed on hand! Nothing is worse for me than going to the store and spending half of my budget on ONE recipe.

15. Erin says

I love new recipes and I’m always poring over cookbooks and foodie blogs looking for something new to try! I also get bored easily and need my food to be changed up frequently. Fortunately, almost everything I’ve made recently turns out well and my boyfriend is patient with trying all my new creations.

I hope when you eat that first recipe, you channel Pheope Buffay and yell, “Hummus! Hummus! I got the Hummus!!”

Do you ever try Pioneer Woman recipes? I use hers all the time, but I have to slightly alter them to make it healthier. Heavy cream = eeek!

Here are a few recipes I’ve tried lately that I love:
    Salmon Bugers with Cilantro Mayo

Enchiladas

Mango Coconut Shrimp

i love new recipes so much. i have a hard time repeating!! lol. i spend far too much time menu planning. and i love that hint water. i had it in the airport last month. yum!

Yum, I want this plate! This recipe seems really good. It’s an interesting question, I have fetish recipes but i like to try new recipes on special occasions.

19. laura says

I cook 5-6 nights a week rotating 25 recipes and occasionally ill add a new recipe into the mix. Although in the summer, our meals usually consist of a grilled meat and some veggies.

New recipe week sounds like a fabulous one! My goal at the beginning of the year was to try a new recipe at least once every two weeks. That…has not happened. Haha. I got lazy around March. Maybe once I move to Chicago I’ll be more motivated to make new recipes…or something. Haha.

I can’t wait for the new recipes. I try new recipes every oncce in a while. It’s easier just to make quick and easy food that I know my family will eat! But sometimes I like to try something new!

I love Oikos greek yogurt, gotta try that key lime flavor! My favorite is still the vanilla flavor with fresh strawberries mixed in :)

We try new recipes all the time, I mostly get inspiration from food blogs or pinterest!

The roasted sweet potatoes look good! But is that just a side? I would need a chicken breast or some shrimp to round it out. I’m always trying new recipes. I have binders and folders filled with recipes I’d like to try, so if I’m looking for inspiration, I head there (or some of my favorite blogs :)

I definitely don’t try new recipes enough. A couple years ago I got in the habit of trying a new recipe at least once per week. I should get back into that because I have cook books that are just filled with easy and delicious meals that will help amp up my arsenal.

I am actually making a point of a least one new entree-level recipe a week and the snack/desserts more than that – but they tend to be single serving or variations.

I have totally enjoyed it! It has really helped expand my eating options. I am someone who will eat the same thing literally every day. :)

Woo this sounds exciting! I often find that I fall into ruts with almost everything after a while. Whether it be with recipes, exercise, work etc…Although I am a creature of habit, I do get bored quick, and need change! I like to try new recipes as often as I can, but I do find that I stick to what is comfortable, easy and quick a lot of the time. Can’t wait to hear some of your new recipes!

27. Sarah says

My mom makes dinner planning easy for her… bu enlisting US. We make it a game. Every weekend, my siblings and I (here are six of us!) each have to find an entree, salad, and dessert to try. We need to make lists and print out the recipes. We always try to pick out the best recipes. That way my mom has a week’s worth of recipes in her arsenal. Then we do the tasting and rate them. SO much fun!

28. Steph says

I try new recipes whenever you blog about one that looks delicious and easy to make! I teach and have little free time to peruse magazines (though that’s up there on the to-do for this summer!), so I basically depend on you for creative dinner awesomeness. :) I’ve had lots of successes replicating your recipes so far. Keep ’em comin!

I don’t try new recipes nearly enough … I’m not sure why, because I really love introducing new things! I think it’s usually because I’m too tired once I get home from work to think about attempting something new. Your line up sounds great!

I was just thinking about this as I made dinner tonight. I just cook for me, so it’s easy (and cheap!) to fall back on the same old dinners. I’ve been making a stir fry for weeks now, and while it’s delicious, healthy, and budget friendly, it’s starting to get a little old!

31. Katie says

A great addition to “tuna salad” salads is to mix in a wedge of laughing cow cheese. Very yummy! I now am craving this for dinner!

32. Sara @ The Foodie Diaries says

When reading “double the salad, double the fun” I couldn’t help but sing it like Chris Brown from the song Forever: “double the salaaaaad double the fun and eat forev-ev-everrr forev-ev-everrrr” hahahaha :)

I completely understand what you are talking about when it comes to constantly making the default recipes. They may be tasty, but there is no reason not to try a new recipe here and there. Lately, I have found myself falling into the same trap and literally yesterday made a vow to get out of the food rut! Funny how similar things happen to different people….maybe it is that time of year or something!

I also fall into the same habit of eating my go-to meals week after week. You get used to knowing exactly what to grab at the grocery store, and dinner’s ready in a snap. But I love trying new recipes! I try to mix things up at least once a week or sometimes every couple weeks.

Holy cow these recipes look good!!! And I can definitely get the same way. Especially because I live by myself – so most meals I make then get put into lunches and dinners every day all week… it definitely gets boring!

I’m all about trying new recipes, and that sweet potato, carmelized onion, and goat cheese one is calling my name. I’ll have to see how it turns out for you!