High Protein Breakfast Quinoa

I’ve enjoyed eating quinoa for breakfast numerous times in the past. I typically like it nice and cold, combined with Greek yogurt and fresh fruit.

Well, in the words of my boy Nelly, things got a little hot in here this morning and the end result was a hot bowl of high protein breakfast quinoa.

high protein breakfast quinoa 003

I got the idea for this breakfast on Saturday after I made myself a hot bowl of steel cut oats with egg whites. I figured I could prepare quinoa in a similar way and make a delicious hot breakfast cereal that would keep me full for hours.

high protein breakfast quinoa 002

The end result was a beautiful, beautiful thing.

protein breakfast quinoa

High Protein Breakfast Quinoa

Serves Two

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup quinoa (I love Feed Adam quinoa)
  • 1 cup milk (I used 2 percent)
  • 1 very ripe banana, mashed
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)

Directions:

• Combine quinoa, milk, mashed banana, cinnamon and egg whites in a pan on medium heat.
  • Increase heat to medium high and, stirring constantly, allow mixture to thicken (approximately 10 minutes)
  • Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in protein powder
  • Divide quinoa into two bowls and enjoy

high protein breakfast quinoa 008

I had the idea to stir in a spoonful of peanut butter after I finished my bowl. Next time!

Workout

I got a little excited to share my breakfast with you this morning, so let’s back up a bit to cover today’s workout.

When Ryan and I arrived at the gym, I hopped on a treadmill and completed the following 30-minute treadmill run/walk interval workout:

30 min treadmill workout

Intervals have a way of making time on the treadmill pass by quickly, so you know I’m a fan!

Hope your Thursday is off to a good start!

Comments

I love it whenever anyone manages to squeeze rap lyrics into a post. =]

That looks like a great breakfast. I’ve actually — gasp! — never tried quinoa and never mixed eggs into my morning oats so I’ll have to give this a whirl!

I’ve been trying to find a few more recipes to use quinoa in – I became bored with my usuals so I will definitely have to try this! Protein in the morning is the best :)

I must be doing something wrong when I add eggs to my oats because to me, it just tastes too “eggy”. Even with added sweetener and bananas I can still taste the eggs and I can’t make myself like it.

I do want to try quinoa for breakfast one day, minus the eggs though!!

4. Katie R. says

I love your workouts! I did your 50 min elliptical workout the other night, quite challenging! I noticed 15 mins into it that my feet were going numb, does this happen to anybody else on cardio machines? I run a lot and don’t notice it then, but it happens often on the elliptical or stationary bike.

Intervals do make time go faster on the treadmill. I’m a newbie runner, working off a C210K app on my phone, and earlier this week, I tried just straight walking and got bored really quickly, so yesterday, I went back to the app. Made the time fly by!

6. Kate says

Oooo I love quinoa and that looks yummy! Only problem is I’m not a big fan of bananas. (Crazy, I know). Is there any substitute you would recommend??

Mmm that quinoa bowl looks delicious. Im going to try the interval workout to help with my 10 mile training plan. Do you recommend doing intervals on the treadmill to make my pace faster? Have a great thursday

8. Kanoe says

BAHAHAHA!! Ok Hot in Herre from Nelly just popped up on Pandora for me after I just read your post!!! LMAO!! Talk about ironic LOL! I love quinoa so I’ll have to try this as a breakfast option… Yum! :-D

So I LOVE quinoa – for dinner. I keep hearing rave reviews of it as a breakfast “cereal” but I’m nervous to try it!
    Is it more like cream of wheat or oatmeal?

MJ
    misspolite.blogspot.com

10. Nikki says

I eat oatmeal like this pretty much every morning! Love it! I change up the nut butter I use! So good! On the weekends, it is usually an oatmeal pancake!

Thanks for the interval treadmill workout! Going to try it out the next time I do intervals in the treadmill!

PS – I love Sadie and her stories! She reminds me so much of my boxer Hana! Seems they may have some of the same expressions and behaviors! :)

11. tam says

what time do you usually have your evening snack? also what do you usually eat, i would love to hear some suggestions from you! much love x

12. Courtney F says

Hi! I’ve just recently started following your blog and I love all of the great workouts you post. They definitely help beat the gym boredom that can sometimes set in. The reason why I’m posting is because I’ve noticed you’re a fellow lover of peanut butter and I’d thought I’d recommend one of my all time favorite brand and flavor. The brand is called Peanut Butter & Co. Its all natural and they have different flavors (3 that I’ve found) which are oh so sinfully delicious. I happened upon by chance when I was browsing the peanut butter eisle and thought I’d take a chance on it and boy am I glad I did! My absolute favorite flavor is the white chocolate peanut butter and the name speaks for itself, those two wonderful flavors combine in one jar… It’s GENIUS and Om nom nummy! They also have a cinnamon swirl and a chocolate dream which are also superb. I’ve found that they liven up many a dish with that little something extra, are great for baking, and make my spoon taste fantastic! Anywho the only thing is, is that I live in California so I don’t know where you would find it in Florida but I figured it was worth a mention so you could possibly look the next time your at a grocery store. If you have Fresh & Easy’s on every corner out there like we do here then I know you could find it there.

13. Katie says

I make oatmeal quite often for breakfast…but I have a silly question. What is the difference between the steel oats and just the quick oats? Please help!!

Oh and I saw a new fall ale today…Peanut Butter Ale! Totally thought of you!

I don’t know if I could do quinoa for breakfast :S Does this one taste sweet? Hmm even though quinoa doesn’t have a very dominant taste at all I still feel like it’d be all wrong with sweet stuff and for breakfast! Haha! I’m too old fashioned ;) Maybe I’ll try it, one day hehe.

15. Cindy says

Oh no. I’ve been wanting to try this for soooo long and I was disappointed. :( Your recipe was great though. I mean the flavors blended well but the quinoa was just too crunchy for me. I don’t remember it being this crunchy when I eat it for dinner.

• Cindy says

Yes, I think I might try it again but I may try cooking the quinoa all the way through first and then adding a bit more liquid and the other ingredients more towards the end. I definitely don’t want to discount it for breakfast just yet because of its nutritional value and high source of protein.
        Btw, I’ve been following your blog since the start of the summer and really love your upbeat posts and personality! I check in every day! Thank you!

• Leah says

The same thing happened to me- I felt like the quinoa was only half cooked and had too much crunch. The flavor was great though, so I think I’m going to try again, cooking the quinoa all the way first with the milk, and then adding the banana, egg, and cinnamon, and whipping it in. Thanks for the idea!

16. Katie says

Hi there, I’m a new follower to your blog. Over the past year I’ve changed my eating and exercise habits to become healthy. I’ve lost 40 pounds and need to lose 20 more to get to a healthy weight. I’m very excited to have found your blog and get some extra motivation! I found your blog because I’m obsessed with peanut butter myself! This quinoa recipe sounds so delicious, but I’m unfortunately very allergic to bananas! Do you think it’d still be ok if I omitted it? What a great website – I can’t wait to explore everything.

I love quinoa for breakfast! It’s one of my favorite things. It’s light, healthy and filling. So much better than oatmeal in my opinion. I have a few different recipes on my site for quinoa breakfast options.

I’ve recently been making quinoa porridge and it’s great! I’ll be sharing the recipe on my blog soon, so come over and check it out if you’re interested :)