Energizing Smoothie

Green = Go!

green smoothie

An energizing green smoothie to start the day!

protein smoothie with spinach

Into the blender went:

• 1 frozen banana
  • Frozen mango
  • 1 cup strawberry Greek yogurt
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 2 handfuls fresh spinach
  • Enough almond milk to get everything moving

Plus some fresh raspberries straight out of the container and a handful of nuts on the side.

IMG_2046-001

IMG_2047-001

The Secret Keeper Update

Last night I finally started to get into The Secret Keeper.

The Secret Keeper

I’ve been slowly plugging away at the novel, reading about 20 pages at a time, but the story finally hooked me in last night and I read until I couldn’t keep my eyes open anymore.

Truth be told, I was hoping The Fault in Our Stars would win as this month’s book club selection. (The book I’ve wanted to win for our PBF book club has actually only one two or three times so far.) The Secret Keeper got off to a slow start for me, but now that I’m 200 pages in, I am completely immersed in the story.

Now I’m planning to spend the morning reviewing a whole bunch of notecards for my NASM exam before heading out for yet another BodyPump class around lunchtime. It has been so nice to have the class back in my life again, even if it is short lived!

Comments

I know, I know, I know how healthy it is to make a smoothie full of spinach. I just can’t do green drinks. I tried juicing some veggies and could barely chug the glass down. Not sure why, but green freaks me out. Maybe if that smoothie had some cocoa powder blended in I’d be more likely to drink it. :)

I’ve got a morning of studying ahead of me, too. Except I’m studying for my group fitness exam. Go figure the new gym I’m training at doesn’t require a group fitness cert to teach their classes….but, it’ll still be nice to have the creds :)
    Have fun at pump, Julie!

YUMMMM! I want that smoothie and I also want to go to Body Pump! I moved last year and there are no gyms and definitely no Body Pump. That used to be my favorite class! I told my fiance that wherever we move next has to have a nice gym! :)

I have been loving smoothies lately even though its freezing in Illinois! I really enjoyed The Secret Keeper – I emailed you my review yesterday.
    Have fun at BodyPump – that’s where I’m headed this morning too!

I’ve been bummed I haven’t been able to join the book club yet, my library has been out of the book every time and I just don’t have the cash to buy the book, especially if there’s a chance I won’t like it… But seeing as I have 7 books (!!) on my night stand I’m trying to read, I shouldn’t try to give myself 1 more book to read… ;)

I always see smoothie recipes and decide they’re too much work but they’re really not! I should definitely get on the smoothie making bandwagon. I’m thinking a chocolate one would taste good…

Yum I love green smoothies! It’s currently hovering around “feels like 1 degree” in NYC so smoothies haven’t been something I’ve made, and sadly my blender is terrible. But when I was visiting my family over the holidays I used their high powered blender to make all kinds of deliciousness!

Yeah! for more bodypump!!! I suppose it is a good and bad thing that the book you want doesn’t win. 1. you get to read books that you might not have read otherwise and 2. you probably still read the book you wanted to win anyway – so more fun reading!

9. Audra says

I’m still in the “slowly plugging away at the novel, reading about 20 pages at a time” stage, so I’m glad to hear it does hook you in eventually!

10. Sarah says

Hi Julie!
    I am a long time reader, first time commenter. I am just starting a healthy diet and exercise routine. I would really like to use some of your recipes (mostly smoothies) but I don’t have protein powder or any knowledge about it. I live in a VERY small town, so I would have to order it online, but I was wondering if you could suggest a few so that I could start with them. Thanks so much!!

I have not started The Secret Keeper yet so I think I will wait for your review to see if it’s worth reading! I hope that The Fault in Our Stars is up for a choice again next month!!

i’ve been really into green smoothies lately, too! i’ve been dumping everything from my fridge in them: bananas, celery, oranges, spinach, kale, carrots, plus cinnamon! surprisingly good! and sometimes i add raw cacao powder because there are a ton of nutrients in it… it turns the smoothie a really ugly brown color but tastes great! :)

13. Jen Eaton says

I LOVE having a protein smoothie for my lunch. I have heard from many sources that adding spinach makes a smoothie uber healthy. Does it affect the taste? I use berries & protein powder & a touch of agave & love the flavor. I’m afraid the spinach will alter the taste. Do you use fresh spinach leaves or frozen spinach?

• says

I use what ever green is in my refrigerator. I used kale this morning. It does alter the taste slightly, but I make up for any flavor changes with fruit. I’ve never used frozen greens, though. Bananas are usually a great way to overcome any flavor change. Have fun experimenting with your smoothies!

• says

i definitely don’t taste the spinach! like sammy said, the bananas do a great job of covering up the spinach flavor. protein powder is great for that, too! definitely try it out! start small w/ a small handful – i bet you’ll like it!! :)

A bright green smoothie sounds delicious right now! I’m so happy I tried them awhile back, I was skeptical at first but with the right combination of ingredients, you truly can’t taste the spinach at all. Now it’s my favorite way to eat veggies!

15. Kelly says

I read Kate Morton’s The Forgotten Garden. It started off the same way, a little slow, but it finally picked up and I couldn’t put it down! I would highly recommend.

I agree with you, the book is a little slow at first. I’m not completely hooked yet, but I am enjoying it. That’s funny that the book you’ve wanted to win has only won a couple of times! The book that I’ve wanted to win has only not won once, since I’ve been participating and strangely enough the one I didn’t really want to read {The Happiness Project} has been my favorite so far!

How fair you are to actually pick the book others choose instead of picking the one you want. I guess that is a good way to force yourself to read books that you normally wouldn’t. Do you usually get around to reading the one you wanted?

• says

i have a whole list of books i want to read that were never selected like unbroken, the fault in our stars and more! i hope to get around to reading them soon! i may also bring some of the “losing” books back for us to vote on again since i know some other people were hoping to read some of them as well.

18. Val says

Do you have any tips for freezing fruit? I’ve been freezing fresh pumpkin purée in ice cube trays then bagging it, and once in awhile the same for mashed bananas, but wondered if there is an easier or different way?

• says

I think with most fruit, there’s no real trick. I like your pumpkin idea, though! The only fruit that I know if the requires a little effort to freeze is pears. They need to be soaked in an ice bath with lemon juice before being frozen.

• says

i usually buy frozen strawberries & other fruits in bulk b/c they’re cheaper, but i freeze my own bananas. i just peel them and slice them and freeze them in a big ziploc bag. like sammy said, they can usually just be frozen as-is!

Since buying a juicer a month ago, my husband, kids and I are all about the healthy juices but they just do NOT fill me up so I started adding protein powder and chia seeds. I credit you for getting me started on the protein shakes and adding spinach! My husband just did 3 days on just juice and I made him guest blog about it http://www.colorushealthy.com ;)

The Fault in Our Stars is s great book! I just finished it up and loved it…it got me to laugh out loud, and cry, and it was lovely. You should definitely read it!

The picture of the green smoothie looks awesome, but what really caught my eye is the sunny beach in the background! I’ll have some of that for breakfast please. It’s 20 degrees and about to snow in Richmond, VA. Ugh.

22. Meg says

Julie, I hope you give Fault in Our Stars a read even though it didn’t win this month’s choice. I am a voracious reader and I can honestly say that book is one of the best I’ve read in a while. It is unbelievably touching and impossible to put down. I can’t recommend it enough!

Those are some of the best looking raspberries that I have seen in awhile. Seriously, where in the world did you get those?? ;) I love raspberries, but they are so expensive right now so I have not been splurging on them as often as I would like. It makes me sad :(.

Are you doing the newest release of Body Pump? I have done it a few times and the second instructor had us do the squats that are in the lunge track (love the new lunge track, btw) with the plates folded back over our shoulders in front of our body instead of holding a bar. It was the first time I’ve seen it done that way and wasn’t sure if it was just her idea or what. Anyway, I really liked it. I felt it in my legs so much more. Is that how they are doing it there?