Crock Pot Convert

As the crock pot challenge continues, I am finding myself loving my crock pot more and more. It makes dinner so incredibly easy that I am now looking at every recipe I come across and wondering whether or not it could be converted into a crock pot recipe.

When I asked you guys about your favorite Indian dishes last Sunday, a bunch of you encouraged me to try chicken tikka masala. Yesterday I found a recipe for the dish on Gina’s blog and figured it could be a crock pot contender.

I combined everything in the crock pot (I used light coconut milk in place of the milk) and let it cook on low for about six hours yesterday. When it was done, I shredded the chicken and put it back in the crock pot with the sauce. Ryan and I ate it over brown rice and thought it was delicious. (I know you’re not supposed to shred the chicken in traditional chicken tikka masala, but I wanted it to get as much flavor from the sauce as possible.)

It also made for a flavorful lunch when I reheated the leftovers this afternoon.

chicken tikka masala crock pot

I would love to try this dish at a real Indian restaurant because I have a feeling it would be fantastic.

crock pot chicken tikka masala

Yum!

Question of the Afternoon

• Have you ever successfully transformed a traditional recipe into a crock-pot friendly recipe? Feel free to link to any favorites in the comments section of this post!

Comments

1. Tara says

That looks soo good! I was just reading your fitness faqs and was wondering what type of hip stretches you do? Whenever I start any form of cardio my hips hurt and I’m not sure how to prevent a hip injury.

That looks pretty amazing! I’m kind of obsessed with Indian dishes, I hardly make them but they are SO delicious. Between that and Mexican those two are my top choices always!
    Hm, I haven’t quite yet, but I’m going to try making overnight oats in the crockpot which I’m a little excited for!

So far I have stuck with meals that are made for the crock pot, but I love how easy it makes prepping dinner for the week! It is such a time saver!! I have toyed with attempting things like oats, eggplant parm, lasagna, mac n cheese, and fish in the crock-pot but I have yet to give it a try! I think that I am going to have just suck it up and start converting though!!

4. Lindsay says

I have loved your crockpot dishes up until now, but I just don’t think that chicken tikka masala was mean to be cooked in a slow cooker (or shredded). The best part about the dish is the sauce, and it looks like yours is all chicken and no sauce! You should definitely try it at an Indian restaurant so you will know what to aspire to.

I try to make EVERYTHING in the crock pot! ;) My most recent was pork shoulder with Stubbs pork marinade…. a little different than your normal BBQ pulled pork. I am ususally not a “bottled sauce” or marinade type girl (I prefer to make it myself!) but this was outstanding…. literally just any cut of pork with the marinade. AMazing!

6. Holly says

I haven’t had the guts to ‘convert’ anything since I’m not a great cook to begin with, but you have inspired me to use the crock pot much more! I get so excited about new recipes.

BTW, could you post the recipe for the Chicken Tikka Masala, I want to try it this week if possible.

I actually took your idea last night and went straight to the grocery with Gina’s website open on my iPhone. I got all of the ingredients and threw them in the crockpot. I also cooked mine overnight and added even more chicken (like 2 lbs), so I added more milk, more yogurt, and more spices! I ended up with a lot of “broth” aka the awesome stuff that goes over the rice, and when I tasted it this morning it was fantastic! The “real” recipe is better, of course, because everything tastes better with fat! But tis truly wonderful to know I don’t have to limit my serving size like I do when we get Indian take out. Oh, and to “beef” the dish up a bit, add bell peppers (green) and other veggies (I’m thinking green beans) at the end of cooking (so they stay crunchy and healthy)!

8. Leah says

Did you use the yogurt? I can’t mix dairy and meat, so using the lite coconut milk is a good substitute for the milk, but I wasn’t sure what to do about the yogurt–was it necessary? I want to try this!

Crock pot lasagna! Oh. My. Gosh! it was so simple and tasted AMAZING, although I burnt the edges a little bit, but I think that’s supposed to happen with lasagna anyway ;) I don’t have a link to it, but here’s the recipe, in a nutshell.

1/4 tomato sauce on bottom
    layer of lasagna noodles
    ricotta cheese
    pesto
    spinach, mushrooms
    cheese
    sauce
    repeat until the crockpot is full
    add a little water to your leftover sauce, shake it up, dump over your lasagna
    cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours and enjoy.

The crock pot challenge has been the best thing to happen to my kitchen all year! I’ve tried 6 new recipes so far – I’m hoping I can make it to 10 by the end of the month. My most recent success was crock pot bread! It was so soft and delicious, and a few minutes under the broiler gave it a nice crispy crust.

I grew up with an AGA which is an oven from England that always on! My mom always was making recipes that took hours of cooking. I didn’t realize till I moved out that I either needed her oven or a crock pot lol. Because of this, I can pretty much transfer any soup recipe to a crock pot recipe!

12. Elizabeth says

I have absolutely loved the crock pot challenge! i am using mine even more than I was before! I am thankful for the introduction to indian food! One of my new favorites is the simple side of baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes. It works beautifully in the crock. Oil crock and potatoes if you wish, poke potatoes with holes, throw them in and cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6. Perfect!

I never use a crock pot because I feel like it is mostly for meats, which I don’t eat. I have looked at a few recipes here and there but nothing to sell me on the idea.

On another note, I LOVE Indian food. I come close with the flavors at home, but it is just never the same as the restaurant.

This is a definite must try! Have you ever placed your cooked chicken in your kitchen aid and used it to shred your chicken? I do this with Mexican chicken and it makes the perfect shredded chicken everytime!

15. Merri says

This is great JB!! Indian is one of Pete and I’s(I don’t this is correct grammar) top 3 favorite foods genres! We eat it all the time! I like masala but most of my favorite dishes are vegetarian. I am not a fan of paneer however which looks like cubes of tofu but is actually cheese (kind of like a cube of cottage cheese). I can reccomend great Indian in Orlando if u go down there or you and Ryan will just have to come up to NYC for dinner :) xoxo