Pyramid Training

Today’s morning workout kicked off with 25 minutes on the elliptical before I headed into the weight room to complete an upper body workout from Tina’s Best Body Boot Camp.

The workout utilized pyramid training which always kicks my butt and makes my muscles burn in the best way. Pyramid training can be progressive or regressive, and today’s workout progressed from light to heavy weight.

Pryamid Training

The first set of the workout began with 15-20 reps at a moderate weight. For the next two sets, the number of reps decreased while the weight I used for the exercise increased.

The breakdown of my bicep concentration curls looked like this:

bicep concentration curls pyramid sets

There are many different ways to do pyramid training and it’s a great way to challenge muscles with some heavier weights! I usually do bicep curls at 15 pounds, so curling 20 pound dumbbells felt challenging but not ridiculous. (It actually made me realize I can and should probably curl heavier weights when I do bicep curls on my own.)

On another note, whenever I do bicep concentration curls at the gym I feel like a total badass. It just seems like the stereotypical exercise you see bodybuilders do or something.

bicep concentration curls.jg

(Source)

“I want to pump YOU up!”

For breakfast this morning, I made myself a plate of scrambled eggs with shredded cheese and peppers.

peppers and scrambled eggs

Plus a toasted whole wheat English muffin on the side!

scrambled eggs with peppers

Question of the Morning

• What exercise makes you feel like a badass in the gym?

Burpees make me feel like a badass even though they’re so darn hard. They make me want to roll over and cry.

Comments

1. Amanda says

I feel that I don’t even deserve to answer this question today! As I am checking in for my daily dose of PB fingers and reading about pyramid workouts, I am enjoying a fresh fausnaught with a glass of milk! The irony!! Oh we’ll, it’s ok to treat yourself once in a while, and I’ll make up for it at the gym later!

My BA move at the gym? I think it would have to be dumbbell presses, curls or rows. I’m rather petite so hoisting dumb bells makes me feel like the Hulk!! Especially if I have my lifting gloves on – now that’s seriously badass! Haha :)

• Janèle says

For me it’s pull ups. But I’m totally with you on feeling tough when I’m the only girl in the weight section pumping iron. I feel like all the eyes are on me!

2. Elizabeth says

When I walk up to the big and buff guys in the gym and say “Are you done using that squat rack/bench press?” The surprised look on their face is usually the best :D

3. Jessica says

In college I picked up rock climbing and used to do it a lot. Being able to do a difficult route was very rewarding and I definitely felt like a bad ass.

Love this idea of pyramid training. I usually do my first two sets at a lower, but manageable weight and then bump it up 5 or 10 pounds for the last set with less reps. I’ll have to try this tonight.

A good, sweaty HIIT treadmill workout makes me feel like a serious bad ass at the gym :).

great post! I’ve recently found your blog and it’s really inspiring me to step up my workouts. I got off the workout bandwagon for a little while while suffering from BED but i’m back at it now! Blogs like yours actually inspired me to start my own blog documenting my recovery from BED and my journey towards finding a healthy, happy lifestyle. I’ve recently begun weight training again and I feel like a totally bad ass when I do chest presses with the bar that gym. It makes me feel like “I am woman, hear me roar!”

Not in the gym, but running in the rain makes me feel like a badass! The rain is a metaphor for all that want to sabatoge my efforts, and it doesn’t stop me! Instead, I feel powerful!

7. Jenn F says

Lifting weights in general make me feel like a badass since that area of my gym is dominated by guys. The best ego booster though, for me, is doing pullups. I feel like a beast afterwards. :)

8. Ruth says

I was at work one day in the warehouse, and wanted to see if I could…and I DID do a couple pull ups off the shelving crossbar, and one of the guys complimented me….that made me feel super badass proud!!

Using the leg press machine always makes me feel like a “bad ass” for some reason. However, I feel like an even bigger “bad ass” when I get to any machine and have to up the weight. It’s like the voice in my head says, “HA! I’m stronger than the person who last used this machine! Mission accomplished.”

It’s a totally silly concept but makes me feel good every time.

10. nicole says

Jump roping at the gym makes me feel like a bad ass. I’ve got some nasty skills after all those years jumping rope on the play ground! It makes me feel like I should be in a Rocky movie or something, love it!

11. Sri says

I recently discovered that I can actually bench press one of those 45 pound barbells and could even add weight…granted they were only 5 pound weights but still, I felt pretty bad ass! :)