Roasted Red Pepper Chili

Once sweaters, jackets and boots start to come out of storage, I start craving one-pot meals that are both comforting and delicious.

Chili is one of those meals that simply screams cozy night in. If only we had a fireplace to add a little ambiance!

Roasted Red Pepper Chili

Early last week, I made a big pot of chili for dinner and leftovers were enjoyed almost nightly in our house throughout the remainder of the week. We never got sick of the rich flavors and delicious combination of spices, beans and vegetables and I’m already planning to prepare another batch when I’m back in Ocala next week.

This chili was easy to make but felt a little special since it incorporated an entire jar of roasted red peppers. The chopped peppers almost disintegrate into the chili, but their flavor shines through!

Red Pepper Chili

Roasted Red Pepper Chili

Serves 8

Ingredients:

• 1 (24-ounce) jar of roasted red peppers
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 pound lean ground beef (or slightly less)
  • 1 can reduced-sodium black beans, drained
  • 1 can reduced-sodium kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles (undrained)
  • 2 (8-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
  • salt (to taste)
  • pepper (to taste)
  • Optional toppers: Avocado, cheese, sour cream, plain Greek yogurt

Directions:

1. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray (or drizzle with olive oil) and place red peppers through garlic power in the pot. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes, until the onions are tender.
  2. Add lean ground beef, cooking for an additional 6 minutes, allowing the meat to crumble and turn brown.
  3. Stir in remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 15 minute to two hours. (The longer it simmers, the more the flavors develop!)
  4. Spoon into bowls, top with desired toppings and enjoy.

Chili with Roasted Red Peppers

Enjoy!

Comments

Now that it’s finally NOT freezing in Denver I REALLY want to make this recipe!
    Good thing I’m SURE it’ll be cold enough in a week or two and I will absolutely be looking to break out this one!

I made a big pot of chili with my mom yesterday afternoon. It is one of my very favorite meals, and we make it about every other week. We really never tire of eating it. Yum! It’s crazy that you posted your recipe for chili today, because I am working on getting my pictures together so I can post mine! I love the idea of adding roasted red peppers, I want to try that next time. As always, thanks for sharing!
    May God bless you exceedingly and abundantly now and forever!

Mariah

I have chili cooking in the crock pot right now! The house smells amazing and I can’t wait for my husband to get home so we can dig in! With it getting so cold up here in Wisconsin, chili becomes a go-to meal.

4. Paola F says

I usually add a can of my mom-in-law’s homemade salsa which has quite the kick to it, but adding avocado, this might just change my world!

5. Tina says

We have Chili theme week at our house too.
    Frito Chili Pies
    Chili Cheese baked potatoes
    Chili Cheese topped over bean and cheese burritos

6. Megan Costello says

Yay! You should post more dinner ideas – we always get to see your breakfasts and lunches, but not so often dinner. Keep em coming :)

7. Sheree says

My guy and I made this the other night, started a fire in our fire pit outside and had our nice cozy chilly outside! Delicious recipe! Thanks, Sheree

8. Jaclyn says

I made this on Monday for my boyfriend and myself. It was so yummy, the roasted red peppers are such a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I even had the leftovers the next day : )