The other week, Ryan looked at me and said, “We have got to do something about our freezer space.” Ever since I started pumping and storing breastmilk in our freezer, space has become quite limited and we’re now on a mission to use up a bunch of the freezer foods we’ve had chillin’ in the freezer (<—pun intended) for a little too long. (Um, is it totally horrible to mention breastmilk in a recipe blog post? Probably. Talk about unappetizing… Oops!)
In our mission to use up freezer foods, I took a pound of ground chicken out of the freezer and let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator while I started to think about what I wanted to do with it. I initially planned to make buffalo chicken burgers, but Chase ended up napping for longer than anticipated the other week (woo!), so I had a tiny bit of extra time to do something a little more special with the hot sauce and chicken.
Apparently I now think meatloaf is special? Someone send help!
Though the word meatloaf has never sounded appealing to me, the flavor always wins me over. I am a huge fan of many different kinds of meatloaf and now we’re adding this buffalo chicken meatloaf to our list of favorites! I added a ton of vegetables to the ground chicken before baking it in the oven for 45 minutes. Both Ryan and I loved the meatloaf and I actually used ground up leftovers on top of a salad the next day for a lunchtime buffalo chicken salad, too!
It’s a deliciously easy recipe (you only need to use one bowl to make it – limited dishes for the win!) and I think it almost tastes even better the next day! I highly recommend making this one on a Sunday afternoon and reheating it later in the week for a quick weeknight dinner.Print
This buffalo meatloaf is packed with vegetables and flavor, making it the perfect easy dinner. Prep everything in one bowl and place it in the oven for 45 minutes for a simple, flavorful meal or make it ahead of time on Sunday and reheat later in the week for a healthy and delicious midweek dinner!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/3 cup grated zucchini
- 1/3 cup carrots, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/4 cup Franks Original Red Hot Sauce (less or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil, butter or cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and thoroughly mix.
- Press chicken mixture into loaf pan and place in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Allow meatloaf to rest for approximately 10 minutes to allow it to soak up the juices before serving.
- Optional: Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, sour cream or avocado slices and enjoy!
Keywords: buffalo chicken, buffalo chicken meatloaf, dinner, dinner recipes, healthy buffalo chicken meatloaf, healthy meatloaf, recipe, Recipes
I highly recommend topping it with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, sour cream or avocado slices for an extra punch of flavor. So good!
If you decide to give this recipe a try, I hope you love it as much as we do in our house!