Pumpkin spice lovers, buckle up because these Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats are a deliciously sweet treat you’ll want to make over and over again this fall! With only five ingredients, they’re easy to make and simple enough to whip up for a last-minute fall party. Thank you so much to BJ’s Wholesale Club for sponsoring this post!
October is in full swing and that means pumpkins are popping up everywhere – in patches, on porches and, in my favorite place, the kitchen! I make pumpkin recipes year-round but something about the onset of the fall and cooler weather has me craving the sweet cinnamon smell of pumpkin spice as well as both sweet and savory pumpkin recipes.
About a week or so ago, Chase had one of his friends over for an afternoon play date. A few months back, when we had his friend Claire over to our house to play, we made whole wheat pumpkin muffins together (with sprinkles, of course) and Chase randomly remembered this kitchen activity and asked if they could bake together again.
Since it was unfortunately close to 90 degrees outside, I steered Chase and his friend away from a recipe that required the oven and asked if they might want to make pumpkin spice Rice Krispie treats. Apparently that was music to their ears, though I’m not delusional enough to think they were more psyched about the pumpkin than the prospect of snacking on marshmallows.
I perused our pantry and we thankfully had everything we needed to make Rice Krispie treats and I crossed my fingers hoping a pumpkin spice rendition would turn out well. Let’s just say we skipped right over lunch that day in favor of eating one too many Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats. At least they had real pumpkin in them, right!?
I knew I had to make the recipe again but figured it could use a little tweaking because my first version was a little too gooey (and this is coming from someone who usually adds more butter and marshmallows than the traditional Rice Krispie Treats calls for). I looked into this issue and found that many people had the same complaint when attempting to add pumpkin to Rice Krispie Treats. But have no fear! As it turns out, it’s a really easy issue to fix! All you have to do is press some of the moisture of the pumpkin out between paper towels and allow the gooey marshmallow mixture to come to room temperature before stirring everything together. Problem solved!!
For those who might already be on the lookout for a recipe to make for a Halloween party or a fall potluck, keep this one in mind because it’s the kind of recipe that doubles easily, making it perfect for a crowd or a big bunch of hungry kids! And if you are planning to make this recipe for a big group, BJ’s Wholesale Club is a great place to stop by to pick up everything you need to make these treats since they sell bulk sizes of all of the ingredients needed in this dish for less! As an added benefit, you can also grab fall décor, more pumpkin-flavored goodies and festive fall plates and napkins at BJ’s to round out your party! I actually grabbed the small pumpkins used to help style these photos from BJ’s as well and have them all over our house to add a little extra autumn flare to our home. My love for everything pumpkin runs deep!
Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie TreatsPrint
A deliciously sweet and festive fall treat made with only five ingredients.
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 ounces marshmallows (mini marshmallows or large marshmallows both work well!)
- 3 tablespoons Wellsley Farms Organic Salted Butter
- 1/4 cup Libby’s 100% Pumpkin Puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Optional toppings: Festive fall sprinkles, white chocolate chips, a dusting of cinnamon + sugar
- Spray an 11 x 7 or 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray or coat with a thin layer of butter.
- Line a small plate with paper towels and place pumpkin on top. Top pumpkin with additional paper towels and press down to remove some of the moisture. You may wish to repeat this step a couple more times to remove additional moisture. Do not skip this step or your Rice Krispie Treats will not be crispy!
- In a large pan, add butter and melt over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and add pumpkin, stirring until the pumpkin and butter have combined. Add the marshmallows and stir continuously until the marshmallows have melted into a gooey mixture. Add pumpkin pie spice.
- Remove pumpkin marshmallow mixture from heat and allow to cool for 25-30 minutes, or until it reaches room temperature. (Again, do not skip this step! It’s important for a crispy texture!)
- Add cereal to melted marshmallows and stir to combine. Pour into baking pan and press down to fill the pan with the Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats.
- Top with desired toppings, slice and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn.