The other day I was driving in my car and as I was scanning radio stations to find a song to listen to, I stumbled upon “Sail Away” by Enya.
The song instantly made me smile and transported me back to jazz class with my friends Kristen and Michaela when we were in middle school. (My foray into dance was very short lived.) I thought the teacher was the coolest and therefore thought all the music that she played was super cool. I put Enya’s CD on my Christmas list and remember listening to it on repeat in my boom box. Yes, my boom box.
The way a single song can elicit such strong memories always amazes me. Other songs that take me back and make me smile:
- Sunday Morning or any song from Maroon 5’s Songs About Jane album: The first couple of months that Ryan and I started dating, I would play this CD in my dorm room whenever I got ready for a date. He also had a copy in his car and we both say this album makes us think about the beginning of our relationship. Love!
- Maneater by Nelly Furtado: “Maneater” makes me remember a surprise visit to Indiana University with my girlfriends in college. We played this song on repeat at like 2 a.m. at a house party and couldn’t get enough.
- Be My Lover – LaBouche: I can still remember some of the ridiculous moves from a dance my friend Michaela and I choreographed to this song in my basement when we were in middle school.
- Zombie Nation – Kernkraft 400: UCF football games and tailgating!
- Danger Zone – Top Gun Soundtrack: My dad’s all-time favorite movie is Top Gun and I always think of him when I hear this song!
- 3 Is A Magic Number – Blind Melon: Ryan and I always sing this song whenever Sadie starts to act obnoxious and tries to get in between us when we hug or something. Sadie has to be in the middle of everything, so this song makes us laugh because I’m pretty sure she believes that three really is the magic number.
- Celebration – Kool & The Gang: My sorority always played this song during the first day of rush. Instead of “Celebrate good times, come on,” we’d sing “Celebrate good times, KD!” Extreme creativity right there, my friends.
- Hail Holy Queen – Sister Act Soundtrack: This song reminds me of singing at the top of my lungs and dancing with my girlfriends in my house in high school in our Halloween costumes before heading out to a Halloween party.
- Dynamite – Taio Cruz: My bachelorette party!
- Everything – Michael Buble: This was the song Ryan and I chose for the first dance at our wedding and it never fails to make me smile.
- Hey Ya – Outkast: This reminds me of eating at the dining hall during my freshman year of college. This song was always playing.
- You Sexy Thing (I Believe In Miracles) – Hot Chocolate: This song reminds me of dressing up in ridiculous costumes and making homemade music videos with my friends when we were younger!
- Feels Like Home – Chantal Kreviazuk: “Feels Like Home” reminds me of singing cheesy, sentimental songs with my best friends from college.
Question of the Afternoon
- What is one song that always takes you back to a fun time in your life?