Things I’m Loving Friday
A lot of the favorites I’m sharing this week are beach/pool/summer related but I suppose that makes sense given that fact that it’s the beginning of August and we’re still very much living that sunny, sandy Florida life. I purchased these slides from Old Navy at the beginning of the summer and they’ve become a staple for me for a myriad of reasons.
The slides are comfortable but, perhaps most importantly for mom life, they clean up SO easily. I always find myself walking off the beaten path with the boys and traipsing through dirt, mulch, sand and mud and love that I don’t have to think twice about my shoes when I wear these slides because they can easily be hosed off and look like new again. They’re the ultimate sandal for mom life and I wear them with everything from leggings and workout shorts to dresses, jeans, skirts and denim shorts. (Note: My taupe color seems to sell out a lot but was recently restocked and is available in most sizes now. Also, if you are between sizes, I would size up!)
I have two XL bags I love for the beach and pool (a Bogg Bag and this L.L.Bean tote) but when I don’t need to bring all the things with me, this mesh tote is my go-to and my new summertime favorite. The tote is still big enough for a couple of towels, snacks, a water bottle, some kid toys and more so it holds plenty but isn’t at all cumbersome. It’s a lightweight bag that you can easily shake free of sand and is small enough that it doesn’t get super heavy and weighed-down even when it’s full. It was a great $19 find!
The Brighter the Light by Mary Ellen Taylor
My rating: B-
I’ve lucked out recently by selecting books I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this summer. I suppose I was overdue for a bit of a letdown and while this book was okay, I have a hard time saying it was anything more than just fine. The story was interesting enough but I just felt almost apathetic toward the book the whole time and it was a very slow burn. I considered moving onto a different book multiple times during the first half of the book but found myself curious enough about the story to keep going. It has redeeming qualities and a creative plot but I found it slow paced and longer than it needed to be and reflected these thoughts with my rating.
The Brighter the Light takes place in the Outer Banks of North Carolina following the death of Ivy Neale’s grandmother, Ruth. Having inherited her grandmother’s beachfront cottage, Ivy returns to Nags Head and back to the town she left 12 years ago. She knows she must face her childhood best friend and the ex-boyfriend who betrayed her but plans to leave as soon as Ruth’s cottage is sold.
As Ivy begins sifting through Ruth’s things, long-hidden secrets surface and she finds herself increasingly curious about Ruth’s past, the once-popular Seaside Resort she owned… and her former best friend’s increasingly helpful older brother.
During our time in Florida, it quickly became apparent that wearing a baseball hat to the beach and pool was good for sun coverage on my face but with so much time in the sun, I was on the lookout for a bigger straw hat to protect my neck and shoulders. I knew it needed to have a drawstring for use at the beach (the wind can be fierce!) and when I saw this hat at Target, I threw it in my cart since it checked a lot of boxes. I’ve been loving it for beach days and sun protection!
July 2022 Top 10
Below you will find a recap of the top 10 most popular blog posts and your top 10 favorite items from the month of July! Hopefully this will help you check out some blog posts you may have missed or help you easily locate an item I’ve mentioned in the past that got buried in blog/social media mayhem.
- Greek Yogurt Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- Saying Goodbye to Our First Home
- Currently: July 2022
- Our Favorite Healthy Kid Pantry Snacks
- Orange Juice Marinated Chicken Thighs
- Road Trip Favorites for Kids
- Egg White and Oatmeal Protein Pancakes
- Week of Weeknight Meals: July 2022
- Cheesecake Cookies ‘n’ Cream Ice Cream
- Transition from 2 to 3 Kids: Q&A
- Amazon Deep-V Skinny Strap Bralettes: aka the super-comfy bralettes I wear 99% of the time these days
- Target Linen Dress: I saw a woman wearing this in Orlando and kicked myself for not asking her where she got it. I then stumbled upon it at Target and was so psyched! It’s breezy, comfy and a great summer find.
- Kids’ Daily Task Chart: Great checklists to help motivate the boys to stay on track with their daily responsibilities.
- Tineco Wet/Dry Vacuum: The only reason we have clean hardwood and tile floors.
- Sam Edelman Kenzie Sandals: Cushiony slides I’ve paired with everything this summer.
- Honeycomb Mesh Laundry Bags: Keeps the liners in bralettes sports bras and tanks.
- AquaSphere Kid Swim Goggles: The goggles to end goggle frustration! They stay in place and are super easy to adjust!
- Cuisinart Oil Mister: The only add-your-own oil mister I’ve tried that isn’t a giant pain!
- Bentgo Children’s Lunchbox: The only lunchboxes we’ve ever used for the boys. Easy for littles ones to open themselves and great quality that lasts!
- Ribbed Workout Crop Tank: A lululemon dupe I have in three colors.
A Shift in My Fitness Mindset (Sharing how my approach to fitness has changed in recent years)
Edamame Black Bean Salad (So good and tastes like summer in a bowl!)
Question of the Day
What is one thing making you smile this week?