Elusive Baby Pigeons

Hello, July!

I have a feeling this month is going to be a good one. Between the Fourth of July, my friend Leah’s wedding, finally MOVING OUT of our mouse-ridden apartment and my mom’s birthday, there is a lot to look forward to!

I always love looking back at the past month when a new month arrives, so let’s do a quick recap of June 2011:

jekyll island 109

scuba diving with whale sharks georgia aquarium 021

Favorite June Recipes:

almond butter granola 023

Favorite June Workouts:

Holy link overload! Open-mouthed smile

(Note to bloggers: Doing a recap at the beginning or end of each month really helps me with personal organization. I love it because I can simply click on the first or last day of a month later on and find some of my more pivotal posts very easily. Plus, it’s fun to look back!)

Workout

My first workout of July was only so-so. For some reason I woke up in a bit of a funk and had a hard time shaking that feeling at the gym. I walked to the gym with Ryan and began my workout with 20 minutes on the elliptical, followed by this total-body weights workout:

Exercise Weight Reps Sets
Bicep curls 15 lbs. 15 4
Deadlifts 25 lbs. 15 3
Leg extensions 35 lbs. 15 3
Tricep dips Bodyweight 15 3
Ryan’s shoulder move 10 lbs. 15 3
Hamstring ball curls Bodyweight 20 3
Front shoulder raises 10 lbs. 15 3
Resistance band bicep curls Band resistance 15 3
Exercise ball squats Bodyweight 20 3
Exercise ball crunches None 30 3

When I type it out, this workout looks pretty decent, but when I was doing it I felt lethargic and just not into it. Can’t win ‘em all!

After my workout, I was wasting time waiting for Ryan to finish his workout and made up this totally awkward move with the resistance band that had me walking around like a penguin. When Ryan walked into the loft to find me looking like an arctic bird, he started laughing pretty hard, so I made sure to give him a little tutorial and he helped me adapt it to make it a little less waddly.

It’s a winner, fo’ sho’. Winking smile

Walk

After our workout, Ryan joined me and Sadie on our morning walk around the lake near our apartment. I told him all about the different breeds of baby birds we’ve been seeing lately and had him pumped to see some of the little guys.

Of course they were all feeling shy and elusive today, so we only saw a few of the teenage swans, but they were still cute!

On our walk we started talking about pigeons and how neither of us have ever seen a baby pigeon. Have any of you? I’m convinced they hide in the haus male pigeon’s necks until they’re full grown.

JR60008-pig-court-3

Once our avian walk was over, we came home and I immediately opened the fridge to grab breakfast.

Last night I prepared a batch of chocolate chia seed pudding with about a third of a cup of oats stirred in.

chocolate chia seed pudding 002

This morning I added frozen banana slices and a chopped fresh nectarine to the mix and dug in.

chocolate chia seed pudding 004

chocolate chia seed pudding 007

Loved this meal!

Time to get crack-a-lackin’ on lots of fun blog stuff this morning. I’m in the process of working with an awesome web guy (Tim – tparkin@gmail.com, just in case any of you are looking for someone!) to get some drop down menus on the ol’ blog. Let me know if there’s a specific page you’d like to see created and I’ll be sure to look into it!

Happy Friday!

Comments

I tried overnight oats for the first time and didn’t love it so maybe I’ll give your chocolate chia seed pudding a try – it certainly looks delicious!

And awww, those pigeons are so cute! Even though they’re so dirty I can’t help but find them adorable :)

2. Krista says

Good tip! I feel so unorganized recently, especially when it comes to blogging. I need some organization tips to keep myself on track and getting things done!
    Now that I think about it, there are so many animals I never see. I’ve never come across a baby squirrel!

3. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life says

I’ve seen baby pigeons! There was a pigeon nest inside the awning of the bus stop I used to wait at when I was in high school. They pretty much look like any other baby bird.

I like the idea of monthly recaps. Sometimes I forget what I actually did each month. It would be so much easier to see it posted as a recap :)

5. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

So excited to see the new and improved changes to the blog when they go live…yay! :-)
    The waddling penguin move sounds hilarious – I can kind of picture in my head what that might look like…did you tie it around your legs and try to walk sideways? Although perhaps that would be more of a crab move?! I don’t know, lol! 😛
    Some days you do just feel blah, I wrote about that recently because I felt exactly the same on Monday – no energy and no oomph. C’est la vie, no biggie! :-) Your workout still looked great! Are you not going to body pump anymore, or just mixing things up by doing your own circuits?
    Hope you have an fun and productive day! :-) xyx

• Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

lol! 😀 too funny. my sister’s a physio and gave me that exercise to do – aside from the penguin-ness, it’s really effective! :-) xyx

Wow! June really was a big month for you, didn’t even realize at the time.

I think that the baby pigeons are probably too hideous to come outta daddy’s neck, definitely, if they look like tiny fuzzy versions of mama and daddy. Poor pigeons… no one likes them.

I love your idea of recapping posts as a means of looking back and getting organized. I’ve only had my blog for a little over a month, and I can already see how this could be VERY helpful!

Happy July!

8. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

How exciting to be moving soon!

That is true about baby pigeons — you just don’t see them, but I also don’t see baby birds either (unless I look in a nest!). I love seeing baby ducks — so cute!!!

Sounds like a stinking wonderful workout….. And I have YOU to thank for these tried and hurting muscles of mine. I did your no nonces circuit workout. OWWWW.
    Also, your rep and sets are pretty darn awesome! Pat yourself on the back, Julie! :) Happy Friday!

That picture is totally of the pigeon mating dance (or so we call it). I lived in Italy for a semester and saw many many many of those dances. I suppose there may be baby pigeons sooner rather than later, keep an eye out. :-)

11. Emma says

Haha I just wrote a blog post about baby pigeons on our porch(more of a tragedy). They aren’t cute-actually really creepy

The link thing is a good idea. I could use that to help when finding important posts. Although I can usually remember the exact title of every post I’ve written and what it was about. I’m a creep like that.

Our lunch was without a doubt one of my highlights too! Only 7 more weeks til we have LOTS of time together.

13. Ilene says

Hi Julie, I’m looking to subscribe to a good health magazine and was wondering which ones you subscribe to and out of those, which magazine you like the best. I’m looking for one with good tips, interesting content and layout, and a good balance of food, exercise, and overall healthy living. Thank you! :)

That’s so funny and true about pigeons! I love baby ducks and geese though. They were all over the parks this spring and now they’re officially out of their awkward teenage years. I can’t even tell who the parents are and who the kids are!

15. yeidy says

Where is the fabulous yellow sundress from? I love!
    You and Ryan are definetely the real life Ken and Barbie wow! good looking couple!
    third and last, every time I comment on a blog a 5 yr old picture of me 30 pounds heavier shows up. How do I change this?

As a nomadic new yorker, I wish you the very best on your move, and would also like to add that strict labeling is a must. If you mark the box with the name of the room and attach an envelope to the box with an inventory of what’s inside.

18. Emily@RunningPerspective says

oh my lord that oatmeal look sso so so good! nectarines are the best!!!
    ps you were the first blog i have ever started following…and totally encouraged me to start my own!
    thanks!! :)

I just started doing monthly recaps and it definitely helps with organization, I agree! It’s funny how we see tons of some baby animals but none of others…I don’t think I’ve ever seen a baby pigeon, nor squirrels, but deer and bunnies are everywhere up here!

No way! Too crazy!! I did a double take when I saw you blog title.

I totally thought about the same thing on my morning run. I saw a tiny baby bunny on the track and then saw a huge pigeon and wondered why I have never ever seen a baby pigeon. I was even thinking about googling it to see what the heck they look like. Too funny.

i’d say june was good to u but july will be even better! umm, i how can it not be when u won’t be living amount vermin?!?! haha.

but seriously, thanks for highlighting all those great posts, it’s always helpful to us in case we missed one the first time up!

yummy breakfast, but what??!! no smoothie today as yet?! 😉

22. Brooke says

finally made the peanut butter granola! so easy and yummy. this will definitely be made every week with a variation of nuts, raisins, and maybe chocolate chips!! hope you get great news today!!

Hilarious. I never thought about it but even in Hawaii where pigeons are eve.ry.where–but all full grown.

Also, I had to share with you that we apparently have mice in my office building! When the vice president sent out an e-mail saying she had mouse poop on her desk (that mouse picked the wrong desk, lol) and that we can expect to see an Orkin man until he catches it, everyone squealed. I cracked up laughing and thought of you and Ryan. BTW, it’s been four days and they have caught nothing! Sneaky little field mice = also elusive.

24. dee says

I got so excited when I read todays post title! I thought you had found and captured a photo of some baby pigeons (since you found teenage swans!). I guess they remain a mystery..I really have to try those overnight oats! I’ve never considered mixing anything chocolate with nectarines before..love them both separately, I MUST love them together? Two rights can’t go wrong? :)

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a baby pigeon. :-) When my parents were dating, my dad was able to convince my mom that chipmunks turned into squirrels, because you never saw an adult chipmunk or a baby squirrel. Haha.