Mega Circuit Workout

Boy oh boy do I have a great workout for you today!

Last week I received an email from blog reader Lindsay W. who sent me the run down of an awesome workout that she and her friend did last week. The workout combined cardio, strength and plyometric moves and immediately sparked my interest.

I jotted it down and stuffed it in my gym bag to dig out when I felt inspired to give it a go.

workout 001

Today was that day and I modified Lindsay’s workout a bit and combined it with another one of my circuit workouts until I got this mega-circuit workout:

Exercise Weights Reps
Plank None 60 seconds
Jumping jacks None 50
Mountain climbers None 30
Ab bicycles None 20
Crunches to left None 25
Crunches to right None 25

The entire circuit took me just under 30 minutes and left me nice and sweaty.

workout 004

See the sweat in my hair? Oh so sexy, I know.

It was intense and definitely got my heart rate up, but the balance of high-intensity moves with lower-impact exercises gave me time to recover before conquering a hard move (like mountain climbers!) again.

I rounded out my workout with 20 minutes of light cardio on the elliptical with Ryan.

After our workouts, it was breakfast time!

workout 010

On the menu for today was honey whole wheat chia seed pancakes!

Honey Whole Wheat Chia Seed Pancakes

Makes 8 – 10 pancakes

Ingredients:

• 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c. old fashioned oats
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp. canola oil
  • 2 tbsp. honey
  • 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. chia seeds (plus more for garnish)
  • Syrup or other desired toppings

Directions:

• Spray griddle or pan with cooking spray and heat to a medium heat
  • Beat egg and add milk and oil
  • In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt
  • Slowing stir flour mixture into egg mixture
  • Add honey and stir until combined
  • At the last minute, stir in chia seeds
  • Pour 1/4 c. portions of batter onto griddle and cook until edges of pancakes start to bubble and bottoms are light brown
  • Flip and cook until centers are completely done (about three to four minutes)
  • Top with syrup, additional chia seeds or desired toppings and enjoy

workout 012

workout 015

These pancakes were really dense and delicious! I think the leftover pancakes would actually make a great on-the-go snack. I bet they’d be fantastic topped with Greek yogurt and fresh fruit as well.

And now it’s workin’ time. I need to make this morning productive because Ryan and I also hope to spend some time today packing up all of our stuff for the big move. It’s overwhelming!

Comments

Pancakes on a weekday just always sounds so…. sinful! Even when we were little and my mom would surprise us with a trip to a diner or even the drive thru at McDonalds, I’d always get so pumped for a bit o’ pancake on a Wednesday. Felt like a wild child!

2. Katie says

Good luck on the move! 🙂 My boyfriend and I just moved this past weekend and my body is still exhausted. I’m too old for this stuff (28 ha). 🙂

3. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

I love workouts like that — and you are so right, the mix of high intensity + low intensity helps you feel like you can keep going although your heart is jumping out of your chest!

4. Yolie @ Practising Wellness says

That looks like such a fantastic, balanced and varied workout 😀 So cool cause in a way, with your circuits, you are “practising” for when you don’t have Body Pump.
    I read Ryan’s first guest post about getting the best results from working out a few days ago, and seriously, it was fantastic! What he said about “flexing” and really working as hard as you can in the time you have totally struck a chord, and I have been thinking about it every single time I work out now 🙂 Please tell him thank you from me!
    Those pancakes look absolutely delicious…wishing you the best of luck with your packing! I know it’s overwhelming, moving, but you two are doing so well, taking this in your stride…you just gotta do it, lol! <3 xyx

My husband and I love to do circuits together on the weekends since we go to the gym at opposite times during the week.

I have already printed this and plan to kick his butt Sunday morning.

Thanks Julie! (and Lindsay W.)

6. katie says

Julie, you should make pbf.com into a smart phone widget! That way I can read your blog more easily all day long like some of my other favorites! 🙂

I totally feel for your moving situation, no fun! But hopefully in the future a place will come up thats just what you wanted.

And I love that you added pumpkin pie spice to these pancakes! Who says its only for the fall!. Can you tell I love pumpkin?!

I love quick workouts that make you sweat, I will have to give this one a try for sure 🙂
    Those pancakes look delicious! I love pancakes, on the weekend we made strawberry, chocolate chip and flax seed pancakes and I keep wanting to make them again now! Greek yogurt mixed with flaxseed and fresh fruit is my favorite pancake/waffle/french toast topping ever!

Nice workout!! …and you definitely look way better than I do post-workout!! haha – my face is always the color of a tomato. Scary.
    My husband and I always have pancakes + chia before races! Will have to remember this recipe – thanks!!

Burpees are the devil so I’ll be skipping those. You inspired me to try a Body Pump class last night (haven’t done group fitness in about 12 years). Thanks, alot. I can’t walk today. I can only imagine what I’ll feel like tmrw!

11. Kim says

Hey there, I have been lurking on here for a few months now but thought I would let you know how much I love your blog. I will definitely be doing this curcuit tonght! I had your frappachino-a-like protein smoothie this morning and it was delicious – it gets me ready for the day and keeps me full until lunch. I’m in sales/marketing so I am constantly running around and often forgett to pack snack. Good luck on the move and congrats to Ryan on the new job!

Julie, what kind of water bottle do you use??? I can’t find anything that will keep my water cold enough for a long period of time , or hold more than a 20 ounce bottle.

13. Shannon says

I was just thinking about what to do for my workout at lunch today. I have just under 45 minutes when I have to squeeze it in at lunch and this is perfect!!! Can’t wait to try it out!! Looks like a doozy!

Wow what an intense workout! I gotta print that one out 🙂
    Those pancakes look great- I’ve been using chia seeds in overnight oats, but this is another great way to incorporate them- thanks for the idea!

15. Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) says

Wow, looks like a great workout!

One question, what are V-ups? Is it push-ups with your legs out in a v?

Ohh! I want to try that workout! It looks good- I used to have to do nonstop v-ups for gymnastics though.. the thought of getting back to those is sort of terrifying! Burpees kill me too!

holy moly that workout looks awesome! and I agree about making your blog into a widget – that way I can bring it to the gym w/ me and pull up some of these fab circuits!

I also have a sneaking suspicion you are working on a project for recipes using chia seeds….and I’m not mad about it! Love me some chia.

xx

Wow this looks intense. I love circuit workouts so much, but I don’t recognize a few things on here. What’s a v-up?
    And I have no clue how to use kettle balls so I would probably leave that one out for me 🙂

19. Amelia says

I was just browsing through the Shape website (I get the reminder e-mails) and decided to click on 10 new ways to eat oatmeal, then realized the author was you! Nice work. Hang in there with the house hunting/moving. We just completed move #4 since 2008, I feel your pain!

What are V ups? I want to try this workout, it looks awesome! Maybe I do them I just call them something different?

Thanks for the inspiration 🙂 Can’t wait to meet you at HLS!

21. Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn says

Aweeee yum!! Chia seeds are actually the best. And circuit training. SO DOING THIS sweeaaattttastic

Ohh these pancake looks so delicious!!!! I will have to make them this weekend! I’m almost out of chia seeds but I’ll have to stock up so I can make some of these delicious recipes that you’ve been posting!

23. Molly says

I am currently in the middle of a move too! We just bought our first house and now we are painting and getting carpet put in but we are living between 2 places going back and forth and it’s hectic to say the least! Packing sucks, the only thing that is great about it is I feel the need to really sort/purge what I have. If I haven’t used it or seen in within a year…do I really need it? Also, I’m going back through all my Fitness/Self/Shape/Women’s Health magazines if they are over a year old and just tearing out all the workouts!

Good luck with packing! Put on some great music and dance around to it, dancing like a fool always helps boring and daunting tasks become fun!

24. Shayla @ The Good Life says

Wow awesome workout! I do a workout like that at my gyms Bootcamp class…hardcore stuff! Those pancakes look delish too, I’ll have to try your recipe sometime 🙂

25. Heather @ Get Heathly with Heather says

That sure sounds like a kick butt workout! I love a bunch of variety in my workouts. I’m bookmarking to try soon!

Great pancakes too… Chia seed is such a power food!

Mmm, I love pancakes- my fav. I still have yet to try chia seeds though.. What nutritional value they have/why do I keep seeing them popping up everywhere? I bet they add a great crunch if nothing else!

That routine looks fab- must try asap! Thanks for posting.

• says

That circuit workout looks awesome…I might have to try that instead of Spinning one morning. I will probably still have to do it in the garage though or my dog will want to join me!

27. Jenn says

Great circuit! hope you don’t mind but stealing it and modifying slightly! HATE the gym, but love doing something accomplishing like this so thank you for posting!

28. Bev Cryer says

I tried these pancakes this morning and giving you credit, copied the recipe on my blog, bevsplaytime.blogspot.com
    Yummy! Thanks!

Hi! I just came across your blog and fell in love with this recipe AND your workout! I am part of a workout group at my university, but since it’s the weekend, I won’t be with them and I am really excited to do this! I’m afraid I’ll look a bit crazy doing jumping jacks in the middle of the gym but hey, it’s about the workout, right? Can’t wait to try to these pancakes! Thanks so much!

30. Stephanie says

I finally made one of your pancake recipes and this was delicious! I made a couple subs on the oil and milk but they are great. And my little guy will eat them too with almond butter for a great protein meal.