Leg Workout

Today I kicked off my new workout plan!

As Ryan and I drove to the gym, I brainstormed a bunch of different leg exercises so I had some kind of a plan of attack when I entered the weight room after we warmed up with 20 minutes of cardio on the elliptical.

I decided to kick off my leg workout with my least favorite exercise in the world: Squats. Bleh!

In the end my leg workout lasted around 35 minutes and included three sets of 15 repetitions of the following exercises:

• Squats
  • Superset One: Step ups, Deadlifts
  • Superset Two: Lunges (15 each leg), 30 sec. wall sit
  • Leg extensions
  • Hamstring ball curls

(Note: If you’re confused by the names of some of these exercises, definitely look them up on YouTube. There are a lot of quality demo videos created by fitness professionals out there that serve as great tutorials.)

I kind of enjoyed focusing solely on my legs today rather than trying to cram in a total-body workout. My legs felt about 10 times more fatigued as we were leaving the gym than they have in weeks. Success!

Today’s breakfast tasted extra special thanks to the addition of turkey bacon.

turkey bacon 005

Something about bacon of any kind (especially the smell!) reminds me of lazy weekend mornings. Sure it’s not the most motivational food to eat to begin the workweek, but it is delicious!

As is ooey, gooey muenster cheese!

turkey bacon 006

Calling All Bradenton Residents

If you’re a reader or blogger living in Bradenton, Florida, I would be so grateful if you could email me at pbfingers@gmail.com.

I have some top secret business to discuss with you. Smile

Question of the Morning

• When it comes to strength training, what is your workout plan?

Comments

Lately I’ve been doing 1 total body workout, then 1 day more of upper body and then a 3rd day of more lower body! I know it’s not strength training per say but I am going to swim tomorrow as my total body workout for this week- toning is toning right!

Sounds like a good one Julie! My strength routine changes from week to week – I make a rough plan at the beginning of the week and write out the specifics the night before each workout – that way, if it’s written, it gets done!

I try to strength train every other day. Usually I focus on two areas per session (biceps and triceps, chest and back, legs and shoulders), but lately I’ve been experimenting with total-body weights sessions—including the ones you’ve posted on here!

4. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

My strength plans come from The Female Body Breakthrough book — each workout takes me 40-45 minutes and I do them 2x per week (3x if I have time). I like being able to just follow a plan that is already set up for me!

I’ve recently started helping a friend ‘get into’ going to the gym, and she’s a cardio queen, so my strength workouts have been lacking recently! I love using the gym dumbbells though, and am hopefully trying out BodyPump for the first time this week!

6. Alison says

Yay for lower body weights! Do you use an olympic barbell for deadlifts and squats and, if so, how much weight do you use? Lately I’ve been following The New Rules of Lifting for Women and LOVE it!! It definitely pushes me and I can already see results. :)

I’ve been doing new rules of weight lifting for women and their “stages” of workouts seem to be a combo of both legs + arms in one workout. I notice my legs feeling way more fatigued than my arms though, although I hear this is going to change come stage 3 which I start this week.

That breakfast looks yummy! I made a pumpkin-protein smoothie that was outta this world!

When it comes to workouts and strength training, I am sort of working under a new plan as well…as of right now it’s not really involving directly lifting weights! I think I am so muscular that I could stand to lose quite a bit of muscle and still be content. Since I am doing TONS of running (for me anyways) I have decided to cut down on weights. I have to say…the results after 2 weeks of doing so are really good. I feel more flexible and less “bulk” already. I tend to gain muscle QUICK so I am sticking to bodyweight exercises, yoga, and rubberbands for my “strength” :-)

Woah, great job on your workout!

Right now, I’m training for my second half-marathon, so I’m really only strength training once or twice a week. I wish I had the time to do a bit more, but maybe after this next race! How often do you like to strength train when training for a half?

10. Aditi says

I really enjoy your workouts! They always give me direction when I’m unsure of what I want to lift when I get to the gym. Quick question about supersets – do you do all 15 of the step ups and then immediately move onto all 15 deadlifts? Or do you alternate one and one?

Yay for your new workout!!! I always use your circuits as my go to when I dont go to sculpt! My strength is usually in the form of Yoga Sculpt plus one day of weight circuits in the gym!

My strength training always varies as I get easily bored/distracted… I have a lot of go-to Jillian moves and will sometimes pop in one of her DVDs if I need a nice burn :) Also, I just got an awesome Groupon for boxing classes! excited to try those out! They even supply you with pink gloves 😉

When I was marathon training, about 2 months into training, I had to stop doing leg workouts because my legs would be sooo tired, and I it made my long runs miserable!! You are super worman :)

14. Jess says

I really need to start incorporating more lifting into my workouts….I was doing the NROLFW but I got bored with it–maybe I’ll try to start back up this week!! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Oh, and my best friend and her fiance live in Bradenton (he was raised there) so if it’s info you need, I could possibly help!

This is where you make me feel lucky. Keith writes me a new program every M, W and F. It is so nice being married to a personal trainer sometimes! :) And other times…like when he is actually training me…not so much! ha! :)

I kicked off the week with a TON of backsquats. (I love squats, I think that makes me a freak)

30 reps @ 60% of your 1 rep max backsquat
    3 reps @ 80%
    20 reps @ 70%
    2 reps @ 85%
    10 reps @ 75%
    1 rep @ 90%

As long as I don’t need to walk for the next couple days we should be good to go. : )

17. Lisa S says

Hi Julie! This has nothing to do with this morning’s post, but I have a story. I live in the country, so my cat Schmoo lives outside. I let her in the house this morning, and you’ll never guess what I saw. She had ass grass! I remembered when that happened to Sadie and I couldn’t stop laughing. :)

I usually do what you did today – focus on just my legs or just my upper body, and then I’ll add some ab stuff in. Although I like to break up the cardio to keep my heart rate up the whole time. I usually warm up with 10 min, do 10 min halfway through my weights, and then end with another 10. Lol, if it’s a leg day though that extra 10 at the end is rough!

19. Mallory @ It's Only Life says

Since I kind of lack direction when it comes to strength training, and am just starting out (Ive been a treadmill whore for a while now!), I bought a Jillian DVD that focuses on arms & core. It helps since I really have no clue what to do!

20. Lauren says

Squats are one of my favorite exercises! I like them much more than lunges. My strength training plan lately is new rules of lifting for women. It’s nice having a workout plan to follow instead of making up my own.

I actually do strength training similar to your new routine, I take turns focusing on lower body or upper body (and do core/abs almost everytime alongside that).

I recently switched it up too because I used to always do cardio first and then my strength training but have been doing strength first and then finishing my workout with cardio. I remember you had a post about this a while ago about all the theories, etc and i think when it comes down to it it is ultiimately preference whichever you do first! :)

I do strength training 3-4 times a week and focus on a specific area rather than overall. Today I’ll be doing legs and abs (I do abs or some kind of core exercises almost every day).

Sometimes I write down my plan of attack for the gym the night before, and research different workout moves that I get from magazines and blogs. But generally speaking, I take the lazy way out and brain storm my strength training while doing cardio!

24. Jess @ Jess Go Bananas says

My workout plan is usually involves free weights! :) That’s so funny that you mention Bradenton because my best friend lives down there! :)

25. Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled says

While I do incorporate squats and lunges into my strength training routine, I tend to focus more on my upper body since that’s where I’m weakest. And my arms often get ignored with all the lower body exercises I do on a regular basis.

I love a good push-up! I did 75 regular ones today! Holy jelly arms!

Ohh that looks like a great leg workout! And thanks for the advice on where to go to find the info about the exercises! Sometimes I see these workouts and don’t know what the move is! Glad to know about a great resource. And mmm munster cheese!! YUM!

I NEED to incorporate strength training in to my workouts! I’ve been doing lots of cardio but I want the toning that comes from weights. I don’t have access to a gym at the moment and typically do best with work out DVD’s. Do you have any recommendations?

28. Tracy says

Group Power – I think its pretty much Body Pump with a different name. If you are ever in the Palm Beach Gardens/Jupiter area you are welcome to tag along ( :
    Also – Jari Love makes some great total body strength DVDs that mimic the Body Pump/Group Power format. Either that or P90X or the new Bob Harper from Biggest Loser strength training DVD. I have done my research!

29. Carrie Purchase says

I do a split workout, usually chest/shoulders/tris, back and bis, and legs. I will do abs a couple times a week and a boxing class one day a week!

I love turkey bacon on the weekends! It’s really hard to find turkey bacon where I live, but when I find it I jump at the chance to enjoy it for breakfast on the weekend :)

Any kind of bacon is delicious!

Strength training? I do cardio everyday, like you, and then rotate muscle groups. I do a day of biceps and shoulders (3 exercises for each muscle, 3 sets of each exercise) followed by a day of chest and triceps (same three exercises per muscle, 3 sets of each) and then a day of back and legs. Then repeat! I try to do different exercises so I don’t get bored but there is only so much you can do to keep biceps exciting!

32. Kait @ One Love Run says

i’m so awful at strength workouts! i work with a trainer once a week or else my strength training would be non-existent!

Sometimes I do 3 total body training days a week, but then I might switch it up and do 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days per week. Depends on my mood and if my training routine needs some variety. I have gotten where I absolutely love weights. I look forward to a good burnin’ leg day!

My workouts change quite a bit because I’m easily bored. When it comes to strength, I find that I prefer to do the workouts at home rather than at the gym (not sure why?). I generally create my own 15-30 minute interval or circuit workouts, which give me a great cardio and strength 1-2 punch!