Living Room Workout

At around 11 a.m., I needed a break from the computer and took a couple of minutes to jot down a new circuit workout that I could do with a few free weights in my living room.

As I set up my weights, Sadie became awfully suspicious and tried to coerce me into puppy playtime instead of a workout by placing three toys from her toy bin right next to my weights.

at home workout 001

She takes needy to a whole new level.

I started my workout and she ran circles around me, body slammed into me and barked a few times before trying a new tactic.

at home workout 003

Apparently she thinks I find rubbing her belly irresistible. And you know what? She’s right.

When she rolls over like that she looks so pathetic and gives me her feeble “you should probably pet me right now” eyes and I fall for it every time. I’m such a sucker.

As you can probably tell, today’s workout wasn’t exactly killer since it was peppered with plenty of Sadie breaks, but I still managed to work up a sweat.

living room workout

Lunch today was reheated simple summer chili leftover from last night’s dinner.

simple chili

easy chili

Plus the last three Wilbur Buds I brought back to Ocala with me from Gettysburg.

wilbur buds

Easy and satisfying!

Question of the Afternoon

• Do you ever workout at home?
  • Do any obstacles get in your way?

I head to the gym for most of my workouts because I get distracted at home by Sadie or my to do list! I’m much more likely to get a better workout if I leave the house and admire people who can motivate themselves to regularly workout at home… especially those with children! You guys deserve a gold star.

My kitty decides that when I do my P90x workouts on the floor that it’s also the exact time she needs attention. She’ll try to walk across my stomach as I’m doing crunches, or lay down behind my head as I’m trying to do sit ups, so I end up dipping my ponytail into kitty-attack-region. Stretching becomes “Hey! While you have your hands reaching towards the floor, you can also pet the cat!” My boyfriend thinks it’s hilarious.
    It’s also awesome when I try to roll up my yoga mat. She flops down on it like: “NO!”

2. Christina @ The Beautiful Balance says

My dogs bark at me, I think they assume I’m in trouble or something with all the limbs flying around. Haha.

3. Alycia says

I literally laughed out loud at this post because it sounds as if I wrote it myself. I can’t resist rubbing my pups belly either. She thinks”work out” time is “play” time and I usually end up with an even harder workout because I’m trying to do my exercise while playing fetch at the same time!.

I used to do a yoga or pilates DVD all of the time at home but there is something about actually getting in your car and driving to a studio to work out with a group of people that I like so much better. Plus once your in, your there and have no excuses! Working out at home is convenient and quick if in a crunch though!

I usually workout at home on the treadmill or DVD (huge fan of Chris Frietag’s 10 lb. slimdown series) I find it hard to push myself without them but this morning I tried your circuit workout and I LOVED it. So now I pretty much have to stalk the exercise links and write down all the other routines. I’m also super excited that I now have portable workout plans to take with me on vacation when there’s (gasp!) without a treadmill in sight!

6. Alisha says

I love working out at home. I do have the pet issue.. though it’s mostly the dog or cat think that I’m playing with them and are jumping at my hands/resistance bands/exercise ball haha or the dog will lick my face (sweat) when i’m doing floor exercises (I hate that !) lol

I travel for work pretty often so I like to think I have mastered the “hotel room workout” which is very similar to your living room workout! Just as long as I get those endorphins, it doesn’t matter to me if I’m in a state-of-the-art gym or my hotel room!

8. Casey says

Awesome thanks for posting!! I never make it to the gym anymore 🙁 I have a six month old so this is totally something I could make time for. Thanks for the motivation!

9. Marie says

Your Sadie stories always have me laughing; so cute! We had a scare with our pup this past weekend. We ended up taking him to emergency at 2am Saturday morning. 3 places total, ICU, lots of tears and stress, and we finally got him back this past Monday. He’s definitely one of our kids; so glad he’s on the mend! My husband and I workout at home post-kids and love it. We usually try doing it early morning before the kids get up. If not, sometimes the kids climb on our backs during planks or push-ups or the pup comes for kisses if we are laying on our backs. Have a great weekend!