Saturday Morning Circuit Workout

I think the woman who scanned our cards at the gym this morning thought Ryan and I were a little looney. She overheard us talking about Barney (yes, the purple dinosaur) and gave us quite the look.

As Ryan and I walked into the gym, I told him that whenever I wear purple and green together I feel like Barney.

purple and green workout clothes

Chalk it up to years of babysitting, but the purple and green color combination always makes me think of the lovable dinosaur!

Ryan then tried to tell me that Barney was solid purple (someone clearly needs to brush up on their Barney) and that’s when the woman working behind the counter at the gym realized what we were talking about and assured Ryan that Barney has a green tummy and green spots on his back!

barney dinosaur

Other color combinations that remind me of random things:

• Black and gold: UCF (Go Knights!) or bumblebees
  • Black, red and white: Chicago Bulls
  • Green and gold: Fremd Vikings (My high school! Ryan’s high school colors were actually the same, but he went to high school in Bradenton.)
  • Tons of blue: My friend Leah (She loves blue as you can tell from her wedding colors!)
  • Blue and orange: UF
  • Blue and yellow: Blue Barracudas from Legends of the Hidden Temple
  • Red and green: Christmas
  • Black and orange: Halloween

Barney is probably the strangest color association I have, huh?

Workout

Today’s workout was the perfect way to kick off the weekend.

I did three rounds of a circuit workout that kicked my booty.

Circuit Workout - Cardio   Arms   Legs   Abs

It was a good one!

On our way home from the gym, Ryan and I swung by McDonald’s for iced coffee.

paleo oatmeal flax 011

Did you know they’re still doing McDonald’s Monopoly? Sadly my iced coffee wasn’t an instant winner.

paleo oatmeal flax 010

I was crossing my fingers for the $10,000. Bummer.

I sipped my iced coffee while I ate a bowl of Joelle’s Paleo oatmeal.

paleo oatmeal flax 015

As always, I added an extra egg white, a spoonful of cashew butter and used a whole banana. I also changed up my usual flaxseeds! I previously used flaxseeds I ground at home myself since I couldn’t find ground flaxseeds in Ocala for the life of me.

Then, my buddies at GNC came to the rescue and sent me a bag of Premium Gold Flaxseed, and the texture of my Paleo oatmeal completely changed for the better! (I am partnering with GNC through a campaign with FitFluential and reviewing a handful of products that I was able to select that fit my personal lifestyle. FitFluential, LLC compensated me for this campaign, but all opinions are my own.)

ground flaxseeds

I already liked the Paleo oatmeal despite its funky texture, but the new ground flaxseed changed the texture so the consistency reminded me a lot of cream of wheat. I loved it!

paleo oatmeal flax 016

I’m off to blow dry my hair and hit the road with Ryan and Sadie for my mother-in-law’s house in Sarasota! She’s hosting a big birthday brunch tomorrow for all of the fall birthdays (Ryan’s included!) and I’m looking forward to some fun family time this weekend.

Question of the Morning

• Do certain color combinations remind you of something random? Please share!

Comments

My sister LOVED Barney growing up so I cannot stand that dinosaur (especially since I could probably still sing every song haha). So I don’t think that you thinking of that colour combo is weird 😉

Great circuit!!

Ooh, I gotta try using flaxseed (and that paleo oatmeal sometime!).

I had a fall wedding, and there was a moment where I thought about orange bouquets for the bridesmaids, forgetting they were wearing black bridesmaid dresses — black and orange is a bit too Halloween for my taste 😉

3. gina says

Mmm I love paleo “oatmeal” I had it this morning except I used 1/2 a banana with about 1/4 cup canned pumpkin and the other half of the banana to top when it was done, they were delicious! Im goibg to try that circuit workout tonight. I only had time for a 2 mile run this morning because my kids have sports. Have fun is Sarasota and happy early birthday to Ryan!

I agree with you on the black + orange and green + red – they definitely remind me of Halloween and Christmas. Orange + purple always make me think of the Phoenix Suns because that’s the basketball team my family follows, and I went to a ton of their games growing up.

5. Claire says

That workout looks great can’t wait to try it! I’ve been following your blog for sometime now and you are really an inspiration to me as I am struggling to lose weight while maintaining a healthy relationship with food. I was just wondering if you ever feel guilty after a night of overeating? Lately I have been so good about eating healthy during the week but seem to overindulge on the weekends which leads to a higher number on the scale which is very discouraging. Do you have any advice?

6. Christine says

I don’t like Purple and Red together. That combo also reminds me of these half grape/half cherry lollipops the tellers gave out at the bank when I was little. I was not a fan, haha

Pink and green reminds me of highschool…and how funny the comment from Cher @ Weddicted mentioned pink and green, too. I had my bedroom painted pink and green and the fan looked like a giant watermelon….ah, yes those were the days!

Anything orange and green…patricks day! Grey and blue…my old school uniform! iHerb do great value jumbo bags of Organic Milled Bobs Red Mill Flaxseed…so much so I get it shipped all the way to Ireland :)

When my brother was about 2, we had to sing the Barney song (“I love you, you love me…”) to him to get him to fall asleep. He still gets mocked for that to this day at age 21.

I agree with the Christmas colors- outside of the season, it’s just a NO.

I also don’t like pink and green because it reminds me of my preppy all-girls high school.

Poor green, I do wear it! In fact I’m wearing it today!

10. Kristin says

Hi Julie!
    Like you, I’m a big fan of “no-atmeal.” Recently, I started substituting pumpkin for the banana and adding either sliced banana or stevia before eating. The pumpkin gives it a great flavor and makes the final product less lumpy. I’ve been following you long enough to know that you are a pumpkin fan, so I thought I’d share. (I have never commented on any of your posts before despite following you for a couple of years.)
    I always look forward to reading your posts and love the variety of food, exercise, and fun that you incorporate into your writing!
    Take care,
    Kristin

Light purple and teal always remind me of grade school — one year (5th grade, perhaps?) I got a new pack of markers and fell in love with that colour combination.
    Now, I work as a lab technician and two different blood tube types have mauve and teal caps and I love seeing them together. I feel like a kid again when I stop to think about it. It’s always nice to find something small to smile about at work. :)
    I’ll definitely be giving that circuit a shot!! Good one!

I have been loving your workouts lately. I like that they are not too crazy strenuous, but just enough to feel like I got a good workout in. i burned out in the spring and took most of the summer off to just do light intensity exercise. Now I am just looking for balance.

13. Jen says

Awesome circuit workout! I have had a bad cold/flu this week and haven’t been able to workout since monday… I saw this, this afternoon and just completed it. Feel much better now and it helped clear me out! Thanks!!! Love your blog!

My color associations are….

purple and green- I agree with you, totally Barney
    green and white- Chariho my high school
    blue and white- URI my college
    green and red- christmas
    blue and orange- my friend brittni
    purple- my dance studios color
    brown-my mom’s family (their last name!)
    pink and green-watermelon
    black and orange- halloween
    black and white- cows

I guess I have a lot of color associations!!!

I’m excited to try your workout!

I have an issue with wearing lots of bright blue. I always keep thinking about Willy Wonka and the girl who blew up into a blueberry. Bad part is where I work bright blue is their main color and they give us free clothes that just sit in my desk drawer at work because I refuse to wear them. I hate feeling like a big blueberry haha!

16. Dee says

I used to love Barney! The Barney bag was my most favorite segment of he show!! :)

I’m feeling like a weekend warrior, so I am extra pimped to do your workout!! Thanks for sharing! I love me a good circuit!

17. Melissa says

I have wondered this & thought to finally ask since you mentioned blow drying your hair… Do you wash your hair every day? I would say the main thing (sadly) that deters me from working out every day is my hair. I’d love to know your routine.

18. Alexis says

Tina (carrots n cake) has a great paleo oatmeal recipe too. I add chia seeds in addition to the ground flaxseed and a little pumpkin pie spice in the fall. So tasty!

19. Christina says

Thanks for the circuit – I am totally trying this one this coming Saturday morning :)

Just thought I’d tell you that I’ve gotten so many great ideas from your blog and I find reading it really inspirational and helpful. Its helped me to maintain my motivation to get fit and healthy, lose weight and respect my body more, and I’m now in the healthy weight range :)

You’re great, keep blogging!

20. Holly says

I have been subscribing to your blog for several months and love it! I finally did a workout that you posted. It was awesome. It was the perfect combination of cardio and strength. Love your blog!