After working through the morning, I closed up shop around noon to head out to do some grocery shopping for our Friendsgiving party tomorrow. I went to two different stores, headed home and got to work in the kitchen!
My mother-in-law is the queen of hosting big brunches around the holidays and always does a ton of prep work the night before. I am copying her today and trying to get as much done before tomorrow so we won’t have a ton on our plate after our race in the morning.
Since my day has been a little abnormal, I’ve been feeling all over the place, so this blog post is going to be all over the place too as I share some random musings that popped into my head throughout Friendsgiving prep this afternoon:
- I hate cooking bacon.
The grease burns me. I burn the bacon. There’s just a lot of burning going on.
- Burned bacon is a delicacy in Dog World.
All I said was “sit” and Sadie went through every trick in her arsenal in 1.5 seconds to get me to hand over that piece of burned bacon.
- Pandora needs a Thanksgiving station.
I ended up cooking to Pandora’s Destiny’s Child station and tearing bread for stuffing to the tune of “Bootylicious.” I think the Pandora Thanksgiving station should be totally cheesy and feature a whole bunch of songs that say “thank you.”
Like “Thank You For Being a Friend” from The Golden Girls or Alanis Morissette’s “Thank You. ”
And the Pandora Thanksgiving station would have exactly one listener: Me.
- Cooking makes me ridiculously thirsty.
- It is impossible to break apart two loaves of bread for stuffing without eating every third piece and yet all I want for dinner is stuffing… and pumpkin pie.
- What can I do with half of a can of evaporated milk?
Post edited to add: The winner of the New Balance giveaway is:
- #1843, Adelyn: “Great giveaway for a great cause! Thanks NB! Love your blog and your positive message!”
Congratulations, Adelyn! Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your mailing address and shoe size.
Question of the Afternoon
- What is something that should be ridiculously easy to cook or bake that you just cannot seem to master?