About two and a half years ago, I shared a recipe on the blog for a butternut squash grain bowl that is one of my all-time favorite vegetarian recipes. It’s a one-pot meal that’s comforting, filling and incredibly flavorful. Through the years, I’ve branched out and made variations of the recipe, some with more success than others.
One big-time winner was this sweet potato quinoa bowl!
This sweet potato quinoa bowl is similar to my butternut squash grain bowl but swaps out two key ingredients for sweet potatoes and quinoa so the flavor profile and texture is a little different. It’s still ridiculously creamy and a hearty yet healthy meal I feel good about eating and feeding to my family. The recipe is also made with ingredients I often have on hand, making it a great go-to meal on busy weeknights when I don’t want to put a ton of thought into dinner.
Here’s what you need to make it:
- Sweet potatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper
If you’re into leftovers, this one keeps well and tastes great reheated, making it a great meal prep recipe for those looking to get a jump start on cooking for the week or anyone hoping to prep a batch of healthy lunches for the week ahead.
Please let me know if you give this recipe a try. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Sweet Potato Quinoa Grain BowlPrint
This sweet potato quinoa bowl is a nourishing vegetarian recipe made with wholesome ingredients. It’s creamy and filling and a one-pot meal perfect for busy weeknights.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil⠀
- 1/2 large onion, chopped⠀
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme⠀
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder⠀
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth ⠀
- 3 cups organic sweet potato (about 2 large sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into small cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese⠀
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- Heat oil in a medium size pot over medium heat. Add onion, thyme and garlic powder and cook until onions are slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Add quinoa and allow to cook, stirring constantly, for approximately 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-high. Add broth, sweet potato, salt and pepper. Stir constantly and allow to simmer until broth is nearly completely dissolved and sweet potato begins to break down. Use a wooden spoon to help crush any large chunks of sweet potato so it becomes creamy and stir continuously. (This whole process should take 15-20 minutes.) It’s okay if some chunks of sweet potato remain but you want it to be mostly creamy and dissolved and super-thick.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese. Add spinach and stir until leaves are wilted. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Divide into bowls and top with additional Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Keywords: sweet potato quinoa bowl, sweet potato recipes, quinoa recipes, grain bowl