Is anyone else out there psyched for summer? We’ve been loving the spring weather so, so much over here but there’s something about the heat of summer that has me feeling awfully excited for Saturdays on the lake, melting Popsicles, watching the boys run through sprinklers in our front yard and, of course, plenty of watermelon, ice cream, cold pasta salad and burgers!
I know when I typically think of burgers, I think of ground beef and grilling but sometimes a veggie burger simply calls to me. I like knowing I’m filling up on the good stuff and when my veggie burgers are overflowing with my favorite burger toppings (I’m looking at you avocado + tomato!), I’m in heaven!
Whether you’re vegan, trying to eat a more plant-based diet or simply enjoy the taste of a made-from-scratch veggie burger, I have a vegan pecan bean burger recipe to share with you today that I hope will become a go-to for you when you’re craving a meat-free burger!
The base of this burger is a combination of black beans and kidney beans. To kick things up a notch, I incorporated a bunch of flavorful spices and additional veggies as well as nutrient-dense pecans, whole grain oats and a drizzle of hot sauce.
When you take a bite of this burger, I hope you feel good about what you’re putting into your body because check out all the goodness you’re consuming in every bite:
And those little pecans? In addition to a rich, buttery flavor, a one-ounce serving of pecans is a good source of fiber, thiamin, and zinc, an excellent source of copper and manganese and also provides the body with 3 grams of protein and “good” fats.* Sign me up for more of THAT!
The one downside to this recipe: You’ll need a food processor. Womp, womp. Okay, so maybe that’s not a downside for some of you but I hate cleaning that thing with a fiery passion… and yet I still think it’s worth busting out to make these burgers. Even this lazy girl can get motivated when I know there’s a delicious vegan pecan bean burger at the end of the tunnel.
The bright side? Three hundred degrees and 40 minutes later, you’ll be feasting your eyes upon this beauty:
Oh heck yes!
*one-ounce serving of pecans has 18g unsaturated fat and 2g saturated fat
Vegan Pecan Bean BurgersPrint
Made with a base of black and kidney beans, buttery pecans, oats and fresh veggies, these vegan pecan bean burgers are the perfect vehicle for your favorite burger toppings.
- 1/4 cup fresh pecans
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1 can kidney beans (15 ounces), rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash of hot sauce or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine the beans in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a food processor, pulse the pecans and oats until coarsely chopped. (You do not want a super-fine mixture.) Add the grated carrots, grated onion, 3/4 of the beans, all of the spices and the olive oil and process again, mixing everything together.
- Using a spatula, transfer mixture into a large bowl and add the remaining beans. Wet your hands and form the bean mixture into six patties.
- Place the bean burger patties on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray or, preferably, a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat, and bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes, flipping the burgers halfway through.
- Remove burgers from the oven, allow to cool slightly and serve on your favorite burger buns, loaded with your favorite toppings.
Recipe inspired by these Black Bean Burgers
Keywords: vegan bean burgers, vegan veggie burgers, vegan burgers, bean burgers