A New Idea

I have a new idea!

I typically workout on Saturdays, leaving Sundays as my rest day. Ryan and I will often head to the gym for a workout an hour or two after waking up on Saturday mornings.

This morning, we were up by 6:30 a.m. (Sadie was being a menace) and were at the gym right when it opened at 7 a.m.

It was awesome. The longer I put off going to the gym during the day, the less likely I am to go (and if I do go, my workout is often subpar).

Well, I think heading to the gym as soon as I wake up on Saturday mornings in the answer. When I give myself a few hours to cuddle up on the couch and relax in the morning, my workout mojo goes out the window.

This morning, my workout was comprised of various strength exercises for a total-body weights workout that looked like this:

Step-ups 15 lbs.
Shoulder raises 10 lbs.
Deadlifts 25 lbs.
Bicep curls 15 lbs.
Tricep dips Bodyweight
Ryan’s awesome shoulder move 8 lbs.
Leg extensions 35 lbs.
Hamstring curls 35 lbs.
Crunches on exercise ball Bodyweight

I did three sets of 15 reps of all of the above exercises (except the crunches – I did 50 of those) and super-setted them to save time and keep my heart rate up. (Just incase you’re unsure of what super-setting is, it is completing two exercises in a row without a break.)

Since Ryan was taking for-ev-errrr in the gym this morning, I zoned out on the elliptical for 15 minutes waiting for him to finish. When he was still not done, I walked home to get a jump start on this blog post.

While sitting in the backyard, playing with Sadie and typing away, my loving husband snuck around and scared the heck out of me!

green monster 007

He’s lucky I didn’t have my pepper spray on me or he would’ve been blasted!

Since Ryan and I have plans to go hiking this morning, we wanted to keep breakfast fast and portable.

Smoothies fit our two requirements perfectly.

In the mix:

• 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1 handful spinach
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1/2 packet instant coffee
  • 1 pinch xanthan gum (for thickening)

green monster 001

It was a mocha green monster!

green monster 002

green monster 009

Just in case you’re in the mood for a green monster, here are some of my favorites:

I’m sippin’on mine as I wrap up this post. Gotta hit the road. I’m excited for some trail hikin’!

I think someone else is too…

green monster 005

Weeeee! Smile

Comments

1. Anne says

this post could not have had any better timing haha!
    i came home from college yesterday and was surprised with a magic bullet..and was desperately searching for GM recipes on everyone’s blogs!
    thank you thank you thank youuuu Julie. you’re a life saver :D

I am soooo jealous of the sitting out side part of this post, along with the hiking and walking outside part! Ha!

We are getting snow and ice in the Midwest. I Love winter and snow, but I am looooonging for SPRING! I am living through you right now!! LOL!

I went to the gym super early yesterday despite an open schedule, and it was great. I loved having the whole morning open!! I was planning on doing it again today, but my friend crashed on my couch and has yet to wake up despite me typing as loud as I possibly can…

Have a great Saturday!!

4. SaraRM says

I always do better when I just wake up and GO with out thinking about it. Ill lay out my close preset coffee and drink on the way just so I dont sit around and procrastinate9(…kinda like i am now actually). Do I always do it no… but makes it so much easier when I do.

On that note my butt is up! Have fun hiking, sounds fun.

Hey Julie!

Quick question for ya! From different posts you have written it sounds like you and Ryan live in an apartment? But the pics today look like a house? If you guys moved …. congrats :-) Either way ….Sadie looks mighty happy with that fabulous yard and her ball :-) Anyways … just wondering :-)

I feel ya with the workouts — I can’t put them off too long after breakfast on weekends or they don’t happen. Or I just have zero motivation! The green monster looks delicious – I’ll have to try that recipe sometime. Have a great hike! :)

I need to add coffee to my green monsters! Such a good idea!

I’m usually more motivated to workout at night. Kind of weird but I’m not too much of a morning person!

8. Rebecca says

I have to ask – do you use anything special to clean out the straw once you’ve had the smoothie in it? I’ve had problems with some, um, nasty remains that end up getting stuck in the straw so I’ve resorted to eating my smoothies with a spoon. :(

9. Shayla says

How funny…my hubby and I are getting into that same weekend workout routine too! During the holidays we were getting into a routine of lounging around all morning and then putting in a half ass workout in the afternoon….and that would then put us in a funk trying to get up early to work out during the work week! Now we just keep that early morning workout routine into the weekend and it makes going into the work week that much easier! And getting our workout out of the way on the weekend let’s us enjoy the rest of the day! It’s a win-win!

I have to eat first thing when I wake up, let it settle, get things *ahem* moving, and THEN I can go to the gym. I envy those whose bodies allow them to change things up and do what what they want, lol.

Morning workouts are more effective for me too. I find that I make better choices throughout the day if I work out in the AM. I’m going to use you as my motivation and do early morning workouts during the week as well!

I totally agree…gotta get it done first thing! If I lay around, forget it. I meet my team (Team in Training) Saturday mornings at 7:30am. As hard as it is to get up that early on a Saturday (especially when it was pouring this morning), I feel so good when it’s done and I have the whole day ahead of me….to be lazy. :)

13. Deb says

Im thinking a healthy thickener would be chia instead of the xanthan gum. Great for hydration as well. Just an idea….