Bulgarian Split Squat

Did you guys hear?

I seasoned my shrimp with deodorant last night!

While I said I seasoned it with Old Spice

old spice

I clearly meant Old Bay…

old bay

Even though I think Old Spice is one of the most fantastic smells in the entire world, I’m not about to douse my shrimp in the antiperspirant. Whoops.

Sometimes typos lead to some pretty funny errors… but most of the time they make me die a little inside when I catch them after I publish a blog post. At least this one made me laugh!

Workout

Today began with a great workout.

I started with 20 minutes on the elliptical while reading Parenting magazine. Yep, slim pickings on the magazine rack again. Today I learned about how to handle your child’s sarcasm.

I then hopped off to conquer the following leg workout:

leg workout

The other day I was looking up new workouts on a variety of websites and found a new-to-me move on the Men’s Health website.

The Bulgarian split squat!

bulgarian split squat

(Source)

I obviously had to decrease my normal squat weight since the move concentrates on working one leg at a time and I definitely felt myself struggling to properly balance without compromising my form. It was tough and a great new move for me to try. I’m sure it will pop up in my future workouts!

On the way home from the gym, Ryan and I stopped by Walmart to grab some fresh berries and other necessities. Whenever we brave Walmart, we try our best to do so right after the gym because it’s a much less intense experience before 7 a.m. when the crazies are still sleeping.

When we got home, I snacked on two mini mugs full of blueberries and blackberries and sipped on a hot Godiva pumpkin spice coffee while prepping my main meal.

berries and coffee

blueberries blackberries

The little mug holding my berries is from Pier 1 and I am kind of in love with it. My mom bought a set of four of the mugs on sale and my dad thought they were silly and frivolous and took up unnecessary space since they’re too small for a decent cup of coffee or tea. Naturally I swooped in and took them back to Ocala with me. Score!

Once my bagel was toasted, I also ate a bagelwich with muenster cheese, two fried eggs and jelly.

bagel cheese jelly egg

Great start to the day!

Happy Friday! Smile

Comments

I love bulgarian split squats! I always feel challenged in a different kind of way and it’s awesome :D. And I dunno about you, but old spice shrimp sounds pretty tasty 😉 especially if the old spice commercial man is serving it! Oh and btw I just started a weekly fitness link-up feature. You workouts would be awesome if you wanted to do it!

2. Kelly says

Shows how closely I read..I didn’t even notice the slip up!

I was JUST about to ask where you got that adorable cup before I started reading the next paragraph about where you got it. I love it!

Those squats are intense! I definitely see how they can work the hamstrings and the glutes! Typos are so funny sometimes, my phone always uses auto correct and I can’t believe some of the things I tell people when my word gets
    changed to something inappropriate! Lol

4. Sarah says

Laughing at silly mistakes that we make is the best way to handle it! We all have ‘bloopers’ in life, and if we just laugh at ourselves and carry on rather than dwelling on something minor that we cannot change… we would all be miserable! I always think to myself…’ do I/would I criticize silly mistakes that others make.. when I make my own silly mistakes too??’ That’s just not productive.

Love Muenster cheese! My boyfriend and I plow through tons of the stuff each week.

Happy Friday indeed 😀

at least your mistake was funny..it brought a smile to my face this morning 😉

p.s. your bagelwiches always look amazing, i need to hop on this jelly with egg train.

haha too funny about your old spice typo! i actually was reading that post just a few minutes ago and was wondering about that… my question was answered once i got to this post! 😉

mmm delicious breakfast! LOVE blackberries and blueberries – they’re so good right now too! and muenster cheese is definitely my favorite. happy friday julie!

7. Christina says

Your breakfast sandwich and berries look delicious!

I agree with your strategy for Walmart — get in and out while its less populated if possible!

Typos are the best when hilarious

8. Nicole says

Breakfast looks great this morning! I had a quick question for you…do you ever wake up in the morning and know that you are going to be hungry allllll day?! That happens to me once in a while so I was just wondering how you handle that? Thanks 🙂

• says

oh my gosh, yes. those are my “snack all day” kind of days. i try to make the most of it and pick healthy snacks since i know that no matter what, i’ll want to keep eating. also, try drinking a LOT of water (i like sparkling!), chewing gum or just doing something to keep busy… though, if you’re like me, it’s almost a lost cause on “snacky” days which usually seem to happen around that time of the month for me…

• Nicole says

Thanks so much, I definitely woke up today feeling like that! I try and do the same thing, but sometimes I just have to have that chocolate haha….

9. Britne @ Shabbott's Habits says

I just did this move at the gym the other day after seeing someone else perform it earlier in the week. I liked that it worked one leg at a time, but I didn’t know what it was called.

The Hubs and I also celebrated our Date-a-versary the other day (I saw that you guys still celebrate too!).

Then you went to NYC (that’s where I live).

If you make butternut squash pasta sauce tonight for dinner then I’m going to have to say that things are a little weird….lol.

This has absolutely nothing to do with your blog and I don’t even know how I thought about it, but what did you ever do with the wedding sneakers your dad gave you? I was looking at the shoes you wore at your wedding and realized they weren’t your sneakers. Those were adorable – and I love that movie!! Inquiring minds want to know.

11. Lizzie says

I totally saw the Old Spice mention yesterday and just thought, “hm, Julie must know of some random spices I’ve never head of.” haha I’m glad you didn’t douse your shrimpies in deodorant though 🙂

12. Pam says

haha, I totally pictured old bay seasoning when I read old spice cause I love seasoning my shrimp with it, so didn’t even clock the spice!

13. Jennifer says

D’oh, you just made me realize I am out of Old Bay. Arrrrrggggghhhhhh!

Just wanted to comment that ever since reading your blog I have now started eating Muenster cheese. I have also issued myself a challenge to try one new “healthy” food a week (really I’m not the picky eater, my husband is), so guess what caught my eye at the grocery store this morning?

Barley! Yup, gonna be cooking up some barley this week. Now to find some recipies.

14. Carrie Purchase says

Prepare yourself for some sore buns tomorrow. Im always sooo sore from those when I havnt done them in awhile. Once you get the hang of them you should try doing them on the smith machine, you can do a lot more weight on the smith!

Wowza. Those Bulgarian split squats look like a challenge and a half. In my women’s body conditioning class, we did something similar, just without the added weight…and our foot on the ground was on some weird stability thing that resembled a mini Bosu ball…ish…and was basically awful. Haha.

have u ever tried split squats on a swiss ball? i basically cant do them..not coordinated enough hah its hard! those berries look awesome..i miss summer

Ahhh… one of my favorite leg moves. I usually use dumbbells for it because I find I balance better with dumbbells than the barbell. Does anyone else agree with that?

18. marykate says

Gyms need to refresh the magazine selection for sure.
    I read Fit Pregnancy cover to cover on the elliptical this morning…I’m not pregnant 😉

19. heather says

um, walmart crazies. fo’ sho. if my hubby and i go in there together, we have to remind each other not to fight. there’s something about the chaos and carts everywhere that gets us irritable.

Hahaha, I didn’t even notice that! Although I will agree with you, I think Old Spice is some of the most delicious smelling artificial man musk out there. I demand that Jesse use the shower gel.

I can never seem to do those Bulgarian split squats right. I’ll have to give it another try. And everytime you have a bagel, it makes me want one so badly!!

Great workout plan. From my personal experience I have just 1 advice regarding bulgarian split squat – start with fairly light weights – the microtrauma induced by this exercise can feel like major surgical rearrangement of your muscle fibers the day after you try it for the first time.