Get Ready to Sweat

I have another SUPER sweaty treadmill workout for you guys today! It’s very similar to last Tuesday’s treadmill workout, but it’s just a little bit harder.

Are you ready for this?

treadmill workout 30 minutes

Yes, the fast sprints at 10.0 are back! But here’s the thing… I only ran at 10.0 for 30 seconds, but the short recovery time of only 30 seconds before I was running again at 8.0 is what made the workout so tough.

By the third 10.0 interval, my face was dripping sweat and I was huffin’ and puffin’. Definitely challenging!

Some of you have asked how I change the speeds during my treadmill workouts when the workouts call for constant speed changes to tackle super-fast intervals.

Unfortunately every treadmill I’ve used doesn’t allow you to pre-program workouts (someone needs to get on that!), so I change them manually and usually type in the new speed five seconds before the interval starts.

So, for the workout above, if I’m going to run at 10.0 on minute 11, I’ll change the treadmill to 10.0 at minute 10:55 to give it five seconds to adjust so I’ll be running fast by the time minute 11 hits. Hopefully that makes sense!

For my fellow treadmill runners, do you do anything different?

After my treadmill workout and a brief core circuit, it was time for breakfast!

egg sandwich

I made my favorite breakfast sandwich and topped a toasted whole wheat English muffin with strawberry jelly, a slice of muenster cheese and two fried eggs.

egg with cheese

english muffin sandwich

Served with a sliced apple on the side!

Time to get working! Today’s assignment has me writing about healthy snacks to take on a picnic or a summertime hike. 600 – 800 words, here I come!

Comments

This looks like an awesome run! I did some 10.0mi/h interval sprints this morning and kinda hate myself at the time for running so crazy fast but it makes the recovery periods feel SO much better!! Good luck on your 600-800 words!! 🙂

You are a beast, Julie…and I mean that in the nicest way possible :)! When I was visiting Dubai a couple of weeks ago, it was such a pleasure to use the treadmills there as you could pre-program the intervals…otherwise I have to manually increase/decrease the speed. I do the same as you and start amping it up 5-10 seconds beforehand- I rather sprint for a few seconds more than less.

I first tried treadmill workouts when I found the 20 minute treadmill blast workout on your blog! The 10 miles/hr intervals are so tough, but worth it 🙂

I usually do the same as you and bump my speed up or down a bit before the next interval. I would love to be able to pre-program the workout in.

Looking forward to trying this new one!

A few of the treadmills at my gym have “quick intervals” buttons where you can simply hit the “10” button to go up to 10.0 or the 4 button to go down to 4.0. Not quite as convenient as a programmable treadmill (which I’ve never seen before!) but it’s definitely better than having to work with the arrows!

That is such a great idea for a treadmill to allow work outs to be entered into the system before the running actually starts. It would be nice to be able to shut off your brain and just run rather than adjusting inclines and speeds. Looks like an awesome work out!

I just wrote one of your interval incline treadmill workouts onto a note card to take with me to the gym today 🙂 Your new one looks super intense! A programmable treadmill sounds awesome – I’ll have to keep an eye out for those, I’d love to try one out.

Julie, I have no idea how you’re running at a 10. Good Lord, girl! I’m huffing and puffing at a 7.5! I wanted to do some intense cardio intervals today; I might have to give this a try!

I type in the new speed at about 2 seconds before the change. I think as long as you go up and down at the same spot in the minute (or 30 sec interval) it ends up the same (i.e. you still do 30 sec or a minute). I cannot, however, type anything in while running at a 10.0! I can for a 9.5 but that 10.0 gets me, so the few times I’ve gone that fast I time it for the end of my workout (I’ll do a cool down walk after) so I can just hit the stop button!

I’m a huge fan of treadmill interval workouts. I find that 30 seconds is too short because in reality it really does take about 10 seconds or so of speeding up or slowing down so I make my shortest intervals 45 seconds. That was I KNOW I’m actually doing the interval for the full 30 seconds.

Yup…unfortunately that’s all I can do when doing intervals as well. Sometimes people look over at you like you’re crazy…but you’re the one sweating like a maniac burning those calories. 😉

Great workout!

11. Megan says

Just completed the Crazy Incline treadmill workout, and was a schweaty beast 🙂 wish we had programmable treadmills though. Can’t wait to try out this new workout!

That breakfast DOES look tasty!! I love me some eggs and cheese 🙂

I am off to do some sweaty-ness on the treadmill, so I might try this out. Wahoo!

AN idea for snacks : hardboiled eggs, hummus and veggie sticks, and apple slices with a Greek yogurt + honey dip.

13. Julia says

the treadmills at my gym will let your program in an interval workout but you can only have 2 lengths of interval at a time (like 30sec hard:1min easy or 1min:1min) so you can’t do really complex intervals but at least it’s something! The treadmills are SportsArt T652.

I miss sprints! I am trying to do less intensive workouts right now (the body wants a break!) so no sprints for me but I love them, and on the treadmill it makes the time fly! I do the same as you and manually change it a few seconds before.

15. Ilene says

Hi Julie! I was just wondering, you wake up early every morning for workouts and it makes me wish I did too, but I’m a current college student with a college student bedtime 😛 When would you make time to work out when you were in college? I love getting tips on healthy living 🙂

• says

it changed a lot for me! in the beginning i used to work out at night and would often be at the gym at 9 or 10 p.m. (seriously!) during my junior or senior year, i typically went before class, around 8 or 9 a.m., if i didn’t have an early class or work that day

• Ilene says

Haha I’ve been going at night and it’s just way too easy to skip when you’re so exhausted from the day. Your blog encourages me to get up earlier and go! Thanks Julie!

I either do it that way or just make sure I don’t take the speed down until the very end of the interval and then I end up running fast for about 5 seconds after every interval. My treadmill at home has the one touch speed buttons for every 1 mph so it’s easy to adjust, but the ones at hotels or gyms that don’t have that are torturous!

have mercy, Julie, your treadmill workout DOES look intense. I find myself getting the best workout on a run (without treadmill) when I am uncomfortable and pushing my body to breath hard and go hard at certain intervals…but this treadmill one, wow. You DO rock Julie 🙂

18. Marisa says

I love yoyr treadmill workout! I do hiit 3 times a wk and it’s those days that I feel like I’m on top of the world and no one can stop me!!!! The feeling of highness is that which shall not be compared 🙂

That’s exactly how I adjust the speed on my treadmill when I do intense intervals. ProForm does have an iFit Live feature that allows you to customize your workouts, but I think you have to purchase a separate wireless adapter to use it.

20. Annie says

that breakfast of yours always makes me hungry and crave eggs! Every time I see it I want the same. Guess what’s I’ll be having for dinner? 😀

This is crazy! I haven’t done faster than a speed of 8.0 on the treadmill before. I’ll have to try 10.0 today and see if I fly off. I usually like doing higher inclines with the speed 5.5 or 4.5. Would you recommend higher inclines or would the sprinting really kill me? I’m going to print this out for today’s workout.

I still don’t know how I feel about the jelly + egg sammie combo… obviously you love it, maybe I need to give it a try sometime! Savory and sweet is weird to me but then I’ll try stuff (like strawberries in a salad) and it all makes sense. We’ll see haha.

P.S. 10 on the treadmill = like a boss!

23. Emily says

Oh that awkward moment on the treadmill when you’re flailing around at an insane speed and are scrambling to change it to a lower speed before you go flying off the treadmill!

24. Jamie says

I do the EXACT same thing when it comes to changing the speed in interval workouts! Start changing about 5 seconds before, maybe 7 seconds if it’s a bigger jump!

But I have to ask — at my gym, it’s mostly old people who are just looking to get in a nice workout to stay healthy, walking on the treadmill for a half hour or so. So when I up my speed to 9 MPH, I get some funny looks when those around me hear the zipping sound of the treadmill and see me sprinting along on the treadmill. Do you ever get weird looks like this when you run at high speeds? I know I should probably just ignore it and be proud that I’m giving myself an intense workout but how would you deal with uncomfortable looks at the gym?

Definitely want to give this workout a try!

• K says

@Jamie – I know how you feel. People STARE when I jack it up to 9.0 – 11.0 mph. Usually people just run at a steady pace for 30+ minutes (BORING!) or walk slowly while holding onto the sides and watching the news (BORING!). Ha, ha.

I actually had an older man, probably in his 50’s-60’s, pretty much turn and watch me through my entire workout the last time I did intervals. Every time I would start an interval, he would say, “Wow!” OUT LOUD and stare at me with a smile on his face. It was quite uncomfortable and I shot him a couple death glares (when I was walking in-between the intervals, of course)! When I was all done and jumped off the treadmill, he told me I did an “excellent job.” It was interesting having a “fan” through my whole 20-minute workout. I thought he was going to start clapping at one point.

• says

Hahahhaha that is hilarious. I would give them the death stare too – I already hate when people look over at my screen like I shouldn’t be doing intervals.

I did this workout today and it was killer. I substituted the 9.0 and 10.0 speed with 8.5 and 8.0 and just interchanged the 2. For my rest periods I upped the incline a bit. After 25 mins, I couldn’t keep going I had to end with incline of 8.0 and 3.5. I was DYING. Thanks for this, I’ll try it again this week…maybe tomorrow!

25. Shelby says

This is probably a silly question, but do you dry the vegetables before you roast them? I’ve tried roasting vegetables a few times, but they always seem to get mushy 🙁 I always wash the vegetables before roasting them, but maybe I don’t dry them well enough? Thanks!

I wish I could enjoy running on a treadmill. Running outside I love, walking on a treadmill I can do, but running on one, forget it like pulling teeth. Perhaps this workout will keep me energized long enough to accomplish some serious cardio at the gym though. I think my issue is balance-related. I feel so wobbly on the machine

I love following your treadmill and circuit work out plans- I did one on Monday and looked like a beetroot at the end of it! The treadmills at my gym allow you to pre-program in interval training but for a minimum of 2 minutes for each interval so I sometimes use this program (it takes a while to set up before you actually start) and just adjust the interval workout accordingly! I wish they were easier to set up otherwise its much harder to cheat when entering them manually- or is that just me!!

Haha, maybe I’m a bit OCD or something, but I usually switch the speeds 10 seconds before I’m supposed to start and wait it out ’til the time ends to switch it back to the lower speed… I try to make the most out of every workout. 😉

I tried this earlier this morning; loved it! It made the workout go by so fast instead of jogging at the same pace for a half hour. I was definitely huffing and puffing and dripping with sweat when I was done 🙂

30. Emily says

I completed this workout this morning as part of my hour of cardio. I loved it! It was challenging, but manageable and I felt great after. I have tried many of your treadmill workouts, and this one might be my favorite! Please share any and all treadmill interval workouts you have 🙂