Treadmill Emergency Stop

Have you ever been haulin’ hiney on the treadmill and accidentally hit the emergency stop button?

Mid-sprint this morning, my hand caught the string attached to the emergency stop button on the treadmill and I went from running at a 9.0 to standing still on the treadmill, my head full of frustrating thoughts as I aggressively pressed the buttons to try to get the treadmill to come back to life.

The emergency stop button completely resets the treadmill, so I had to wait for a bit before I could punch in my speed and run again. I was in the zone and digging deep in the middle of my workout when this happened and the emergency stop button served as my own personal energy zapper.

Thank goodness for awesome music, because once the treadmill started going again, a gloooorious song came on my iPod. The Jock Jams Mega Mix! If that song doesn’t pump you up, I don’t know what will. (It was even the song we chose to have our bridal party introduced to kick off the reception at our wedding!)

Though my workout was briefly interrupted, it was still a pretty darn good one.

I completed a 35-minute treadmill workout that looked like this:

35 minute treadmill workout

Since Ryan was still busy finishing up his legs workout when I was done on the treadmill, I ended my workout with a 10-minute cool down on the elliptical.

I was craving sweet and salty thing morning, so an egg sandwich with cheese and jelly sounded perfect.

egg sandwich 004

egg sandwich 006

Served with a hot mug of Newman’s Own vanilla caramel coffee on the side!

egg sandwich 007

Ryan gave me that mug for Christmas one year and I love the adorable sleeve and big, red button.

I commented on how cute it was during a random trip to Starbucks with him and was pumped to see it in my Christmas stocking! Sipping coffee from that mug makes me feel nice and cozy… in the 80-degree Florida chill.

Have a GREAT Tuesday everyone!

Comments

1. Gabrielle says

Level 10 scares me! Good for you! I do a similar workout but max out at level 9. I think my lungs are ready for level 10 but my legs aren’t!

Ugh it DOES totally suck when the treadmill stops mid-workout! It makes me feel like all that effort & mileage & calorie-burning just didn’t happen hahah! I’ve been on a few funky treadmills that just stop at random (no emergency stop pushage) .. let me tell ya, those are to be avoided!

PS – love the cute mug! so cozy!

Your mug is so cute! And I haven’t done the emergency-stop thing myself, but I’ve seen it happen and the woman nearly flew over the front of the treadmill! I’ve had the pleasure of being on a treadmill when the power cut out though, and that is a very similar experience!

I always do that on treamill! It drives me crazy! I hate having to restart.
    The treadmills at my gym are programmed for 35 minutes, so if I want to go longer than that, I have to restart the treadmill again. That’s annoying too.
    I have to find that Newman’s Own vanilla carmel coffee- I wonder if it comes in a k-cup?

I did this yesterday too! I was trying to pull my towel out of the cup holder and the string was in it. I was pressing all the wrong buttons to get it to restart. Ended up being stopped for a good 2-3 minutes agh!!
    At least I was doing intervals, I needed the break.

Cute mug!

Our treadmill in our house is really old (think crank to go up and down old)… Sometimes it just dies- mid stride! It kinda pitches you forward. i have never been thrown off but someday I am afraid I will.

I can understand your frustration. Accidentally pressing the emergency stop button is something that happens way to often when I’m not the treadmill and what I hate about it is that it resets everything. I’m usually so focused on other things when I’m on the treadmill that I have no idea how long ran and it really frustrates me to finish a treadmill workout and not knowing the exact distance and time.

Accidentally stopping the treadmill mid-run is one of the most annoying things, ESPECIALLY during a HIIT workout…restarting as well as the distance wipe-out sucks (I’m a sucker for numbers)!

That is literally the worst. I hate when the string is hanging low and you try to adjust it while running and accidently pull it and it stops. Then you have to wait for the treadmill to reset and slowly pick up speed again plus it lost all of the information from before like how far you ran!

Only one question: is the Jock Jams Mega Mix available on iTunes?!? I totally forgot about that GEM and am now using it to amp me up…for work haha

11. Laurel says

I channeled my inner PBF this morning and got up and did the little sister (20 min) version of this workout…I was a sweat monster.

12. Caroline @ After Dinner Dance says

I hate it when that happens! Sometimes the treadmill at my gym literally just shuts down for now reason – so annoying.

13. Courtney says

The worst! It’s happened to me a bunch of times. I find it the most frustrating when the weather is crappy and I’m doing training runs and I’ve not taken notice of the distance logged pre-emergency stop. Grrr…

P.S. Every time I see that sandwich on your blog, I crave it like mad and never seem to get around to making it. I am going to make it happen this week!!

One of the best things about at home treadmills is that they seldom have that big obnoxious button that is so easy to accidentally hit! It used to happen to me all the time at the gym, but it’s never happened at home thankfully. Although, our treadmill doesn’t like the cold (it’s in our basement) and will randomly short circuit and shut off in the winter months which is pretty much the same thing. It’s always fun when you’re sprinting hardcore and then unexpectedly almost slam face first into the front of the treadmill.

OMG! I HATEE emergency stop! Specially when I’m trying to get a killer say 4 mile workout. I’ll have to do the math like alright I was at 2.6 now I have 1.4 more to go, and my time was yadda yadda. Ugh. Makes me so mad. I’m such a numbers freak.

80 degree chill, haha! Where are the morning smoothies, my friend?! I remember last April you were downing them (just as I would be) all meals of the day haha.

It’s a brisk a.m. here in Seattle, but lovely at that!

I didn’t know it, but treadmills at my gym actually shut off after 60 minutes. So one day I was running along and all of the sudden it just powered off. I had no idea what hit me and then I realized I was at the hour mark. Rude.

18. Meghan says

I was running on the treadmill once and it completely died out of nowhere. I wasn’t going that fast (can’t imagine!) but it still shocked my knees a bit and was definitely aggravating! Not to mention the rest of the treadmills were taken so I had to settle for the elliptical and couldn’t finish the workout I planned. Oh well, such is life!

19. Kristin says

It doesn’t sound like anyone else thought this, but before I read anything more than the title of your post, I thought you were going to write about your emergency stop for “#2” during your treadmill run! Not that you shouldn’t write about that if you wanted to, but I was surprised to think it was going to be the star of the post. hahaha =)

20. Katie says

Did you ever hit the emergency stop and not stop running fast enough and nearly run through the front of the treamill to cause quite a scene? Oh, you haven’t? Me either…..

I’ve definitely done that a couple of times and it totally throws off the workout! Sometimes the string attached to the emergency stop is placed weird and you have to adjust it before starting so you don’t accidentally pull it.

Ugh that has definitely happened to me before with the emergency button! So frustrating! But I’m impressed you were able to get back at it after turning it on again– then again, Jock Jams is great pump up music.

UGH! I HATE it when that happens! I have done that a few times on the treadmill, now I am extra careful to try and keep my hands away from that little red terror!

By the way, I LOVE your coffee sleeve! Its so cute! I use to work at Starbucks…I miss buying those happy little trifles with my discount.