1000 Rep Workout

This morning I awoke 30 minutes before Ryan. I used the extra time to browse Pinterest in search of some workout inspiration.

Checking out my fitness board never ceases to motivate me, and when I saw a 1000 rep workout I previously pinned, I was instantly inspired to create a new version of the workout that focused on exercises that appealed to me.

The site the workout was originally pinned from appears to no longer be running, but you may see the original workout here. I’ve seen a bunch of other 100 rep and 1000 rep workouts floating around Pinterest, so I was pumped to take a few minutes to jot down my take on the 1000 rep workout before we headed to the gym. (BodyRock also has a 1000 rep workout that I’m hoping to attempt soon!)

After 15 minutes on the adaptive motion trainer, I hopped off to take a crack at my 1000 rep workout that focused mainly on leg and abdominal exercises:

1000 Rep Workout

I freakin’ loved this workout.

It took me slightly more than 35 minutes to complete. The workout challenged me but made the challenge fun. Workouts that quickly jump from one thing to the next are definitely my favorite!

Banana Pancakes

Jack Johnson would be proud of my breakfast this morning.

banana pancakes 019

Banana pancakes!

After snapping that picture, I ended up adding a big spoonful of peanut butter to my plate and dipping pieces of the pancakes in the peanut butter. A fabulous addition to the plate, I must say!

I made our pancakes with Bisquick Heart Smart mix but added a smashed banana to the batter before cooking the pancakes on the griddle and topping them with syrup.

banana pancakes 021

They were good, but I prefer banana bread protein pancakes. Those are the jam. I also have a feeling I’m going to be hungry in no time since pancakes don’t do much to tide me over. Hopefully the peanut butter will help with that a bit!

Today is rather up in the air. We wanted to take Sadie to the dog beach, but it’s more than an hour away and there’s currently a 70 percent chance of rain. What is with the rainy weekends in Florida lately!?

Hope your Saturday is off to a great start!

Question of the Morning

• What was the most fun workout you’ve recently attempted?

Comments

1. Jordyn says

Have you ever tried or looked at Jillian Michaels’ Making the Cut workouts? The book is filled with a whole exercise program. The workouts are a great combination of cardio and strength training! Plus, they are far from boring!

Gotta lie pinterest for some workout motivation!! It always helps when I don’t want to think too hard about what to do, and banana pancakes are always delicious!!!! Happy Saturday!

3. Alison says

What an awesome (and intense) workout!! Did you do all 50 reps straight or break it up into sets? Cracking out 50 push-ups in a row is amazing!

I’m getting ready to hit up the gym myself. Nothing like starting a Saturday with some cardio and weights!

The most fun I’ve had working out lately has been in the pool! Freakin’ 100 degree days! My husband and I will try to swim back and forth as many times as we can to see who can do the most laps….ahhh we’re such geeks.

Get it girl! 50 push-ups, 50 chest presses, 50 squat jumps! I love workouts like this but feel like I look like a spaz in the gym running around from one thing to another haha

6. Shannon says

Great workout! I just did a modified version of it in my living room while waiting for my son to wake up from his nap so I can put him in his stroller and go out for a run!

There are a few exercises I wasn’t familiar with – can you elaborate on these:
    -superman
    -leg lift crunches
    -bridges
    -skaters

Also – I don’t have a bosu ball at home – any suggestion for a replacement?! Thanks :)

• says

hi shannon! i am working on creating a “reference” page on the blog that details some of the more confusing exercises. i’m on it!!! :)

as for the exercises with a bosu ball, i would just do the crunches on the floor and the chest presses on a bench. the bosu isn’t necessary, it just adds a little somethin’ somethin’.

7. Audrey Adams says

I’ve recently done this workout you had posted on your workout page http://www.pbfingers.com/2011/12/12/directional-genius/

Right now I only use 30lbs on my barbell but will work up to 50lbs. It’s a leg and butt killer.

Banana pancakes are my weakness…and chocolate chip pancakes(when I was a kid, I was obsessed). My scrambled eggs I’m eating compared to your hearty pancakes…don’t look tasty anymore.

I got a kayak over Memorial Day Weekend and it’ss such a great ab and arm workout. I also tried my best friend’s stand up paddle board and had a blast! Only fell off twice…but it was in the ocean so I’m blaming the waves!

9. Lindsey says

Hey….awesome workout I’m going to try it.
    Lately i’ve been doing the deck of card workout.
    Take a deck of playing cards and assign an exercise (strength or cario/plyometric) to each suit. The number on the card represents the number of reps. Go through the deck of cards as quickly (still with good form) as you can.

Lots of fun and the times flies.
    Have a great weekend.

10. Irene says

Hey Julie, this is random, but I was wondering how you fit a workout like this into your exercise plan. Do you count it as one of your strength training days for upper and lower body (it would be for me) meaning you make sure to not do weights at all the day before and after? I enjoy circuit workouts too, but I feel like I don’t get as complete of a workout as just mentally doing “legs” or “upper body” and so I’m not sure if I should still do them later.

• says

hi irene! i personally am taking a rest day after this workout tomorrow. it focused a lot on my legs, so if i was going to categorize it as some kind of a strength workout, i’d say it definitely gave my legs a burn and i wouldn’t work them out tomorrow. i avoided straight bicep/tricep/shoulder exercises in this circuit b/c i focused on strength training them yesterday. as a general rule of thumb for myself, if i work a certain muscle group one day, i make sure to take at least one day off before working it out again. circuit workouts can be trickier for me though since they don’t really fatigue one muscle group, so i totally understand where you’re coming from!

Oh my god. Pinterest and Jack Johnson… I knew I loved this blog. Next time, try putting peanut butter in the pancake batter= out of this world. Of course you have to make it with Banana Pancakes blaring.

Really love the 1000 rep challenge! I’ve been incorporating lots of new lunge and squat variations this week which I’ve love but glutes are really feeling it today…rest day tomo! :)

13. Nilda says

This sounds like a great challenge! I just finished getting a new routine from my trainer, but I’m definitely going to give this a shot.

My most recent fun workout though is SH-Bam! It’s the Les Mills version of Zumba, except the routines are set to different genres of music and current hits. It’s definitely a class where I feel the burn afterwards!

Love your blog btw! And yes, the rainy weekends here in FL stink!

14. Kim says

Hi! This sounds incredibly challenging and I am excited to try it. It has been raining a lot where I am too, (Vancouver, BC) but that’s pretty normal for us. Last night I went out for a long run in the rain and did some stairs and push ups at the half way mark. I love these longer days where I can fit in a night run and still get home in daylight. I have been reading your blog for awhile and I really enjoy it! Keep up the good work! I love the food pics and info so much! Because of the time change-by the time I have my morning coffee you have usually posted your morning workout and breakfast-and it’s a great way for me to start my day! Very inspiring!

15. Maria says

This workout looks amazing. Working legs and abs is my favorite thing to do so I can’t wait to try this. Lately I’ve been obsessed with supersets. They always make the time fly to me.

Ohhhh I absolutely heart Jack Johnson…and banana pancakes…definitely brings me back! Those looks fantastic…I will be making them very soon :) Enjoy your weekend!

Oh my goodness, when I first read the title of this post I thought that I had to have read it wrong haha this workout looks AMAZING and I cannot wait to try it this week! Peanut butter sounds like a way more appealing pancake topper than syrup :) Have a great Saturday!

I did a Cardio Beat class recently that was really fun … everbody used drum sticks to bang on huge exercise balls, as if they were drums. In the meantime, you’re bending and jumping and squatting … but it doesn’t even feel like a workout!

FUN workout!! I love the bodyrock 1000 rep workout! I do it at least once a month. I have an 800 rep workout on my blog that is pretty killer, but I always feel great after I do it :) Have a great day!

20. Sara says

Love it! All of it! Except the part where u complain about rain. I’m in Indy and we are dying for one drop! :) think I’ll do this 1000 rep workout on Tuesday. I led aerobics today instead of spin and I used a crazy body rock workout, they loved it!

21. Maggie says

I just started following your blog and I LOVE IT! Great tips, recipes and workouts. I talked my husband into do the 1,000 workout with me today. We were both dead by the end…good killer legs workout!

Today I tried out Shaun T’s Rockin’ Body workout for the first time – I just got the DVDs recently. It was kinda cheesy, but a lot of fun, and I worked up a good sweat. Your workout sounds intense – nice job!!!

Love the work out! Definitely trying that tonight! Do you typically do push ups on your knees or do them regularly? I ask because I have recently being doing push ups more often but I have a really hard time doing them if I do not do them on my knees. Any tips?

24. Emily says

tried this workout today, modified it to some workouts i like (more plank stuff less leg) and just about died… circuits really kick your butt!

First of all, I didn’t know that’s what AMT stood for!! haha I always call is the moonwalking machine cuz I feel like I’m walking on the moon whenever I use that machine :) weird???
    My fitness board on Pinterest is full of ideas, but I never think to use them. I gotta start remembering to look at those – so many good ideas!!

26. Jackie says

Hi Julie!!! Love your blog and had a quick question. I see you are big on circuits in your workouts. I have a 3yr old and twin girls who ar 16months old. I am really trying to get back into shape. I am a big runner but am looking for a new way to mix up my workout routine and tone up…do you find that circuits would be an effective way to step up my workouts? You are in such great shape!!

27. Amber @ Bring In-The-Pink says

Hi Julie! I tried this workout last night, and LOVED it! Thanks for putting it together. It was a great and fun way to change it up! :)

28. Aleah Bug says

Hi Julie,

Love your page, lots of useful information! Wanted to share that I tried the 1000 Workout yesterday at home…OMG! Crazy! My legs were burning yesterday and I am still feeling it today. I will say I don’t have the really heavy weights at home but I made due with my 10 and 15lb weights and still got a wonderful workout.

Thanks for sharing! You’re awesome! : )

29. Angela says

Hi :)

Love your webpage :)

I was wondering, i noticed that you use heavy weights for your workouts..how do you not have bulky legs? I use 30 lbs and my legs are, well to me, bulky.

hmm..

I love that you share your healthy breakfast before going into that extreme workout. I do love pancakes in the morning! That workout was a hard one for me! and you only did it in half an hour! I wish I can have your enthusiasm in doing this workout..Maybe I can invite my friend and we can do it together? That would be fun!

31. Sarah P. says

I tried this workout with a friend two days ago after a two mile run. We modified this workout by making it the 500 workout instead of the 1000 and my Quads are still sore. I absolutely loved it.

Great post. I used to be checking constantly
    this weblog and I am impressed! Very useful information specially
    the ultimate part :) I care for such info much. I was looking for this particular information for a long
    time. Thanks and best of luck.