Something about this Lemon Sugar Cookie Icebox Cake screams Easter dessert or summertime cookout sweet treat so leave it to me to make it to share with you guys in February.
I wish I was the kind of blogger who had the forethought to follow seasonal food trends but I cannot help but follow my taste-buds and cravings and they most recently led me to whipped cream and lemon. So what do you get when you combine whipped cream with lemon and sugar cookies? An easy peasy fluffy and citrusy dessert also known as Lemon Sugar Cookie Icebox Cake!
I’ve shared a number of icebox cake recipes on my blog (my favorite being my Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Icebox Cake) and two weeks ago we had some friends over for dinner on a random weeknight and I wanted to whip up an icebox cake for dessert. Shockingly (to me anyway), I was hit with the desire to make something lemony. I’m a chocolate lover through and through so when a fruity or citrusy dessert calls to me, I have to roll with it because it doesn’t happen often.
As someone who considers whipped cream one of her top five favorite foods of all time, it’s no wonder icebox cakes appeal to me. They’re perfectly whipped and creamy and can be altered a million different ways to satisfy a million different cravings. Like sugar cookies! And lemon!
As for this particular recipe, it comes together quickly and is made with only five simple ingredients, the most important one being lemon curd. If you have never tried lemon curd before, you’re probably cringing at the word “curd” because it’s possibly one of the least appetizing words on the planet but please don’t let that deter you. Lemon curd is a magical spread you can use on just about everything from fluffy biscuits and pancakes to waffles, cookies, muffins and more. It skyrockets this icebox cake from “oh that’s a tasty lemon icebox cake” into “holy heck how did you make that icebox cake!?” territory.
Trust me on this one.Print
Tangy, creamy and perfectly sweet this recipe for Lemon Sugar Cookie Icebox Cake is a no-bake dessert that’s made with crispy sugar cookies, homemade lemon whipped cream and deliciously tart lemon curd.
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons lemon curd
- Approximately 18 crunchy sugar cookies
- zest of 2 lemons
- Pour heavy whipping cream into a chilled bowl and whip the cream on low, gradually adding powdered sugar until mixture begins to thicken. Add zest of one lemon and 2 tablespoons of lemon curd and continue to whip until whipped cream is thick and fluffy. Take care not to over-whip or the whipped cream will become dense and lumpy.
- Spread a layer of the lemon whipped cream on the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish. Top 1/3 of your sugar cookies (approximately 6 cookies) with a thin layer of lemon curd. One tablespoon of lemon curd should be enough to cover the top of 6 cookies but if you prefer a more intense lemon flavor, you may use a bit more.
- Place cookies on top of the layer of whipped cream. You may need to break a few cookies to get them to fit into your dish which is completely fine. Spread another layer of whipped cream on top of the cookies and repeat the layers — lemon curd-topped cookies, whipped cream, lemon curd-topped cookies, whipped cream — until you have three total layers.
- Cover icebox cake and refrigerate overnight.
- Prior to serving, top with the zest of one lemon, slice and enjoy!
Keywords: icebox cake, lemon icebox cake, lemon sugar cookie icebox cake, no bake desserts
If you give this recipe a try, please let me know! I really hope you guys love it!