On Friday night, I was in charge of dessert for a cookout with a few of our friends. About a month ago, I pinned a recipe for Kristin’s no bake strawberry shortcake icebox cake and was waiting for an occasion to make it. Lauren and Tony’s BBQ sounded like the perfect opportunity to give it a whirl but I started to worry that one icebox cake might not be enough to feed a hungry crowd. I headed to Whole Foods to pick up a few more ingredients for a chocolate rendition of Kristin’s recipe, with hopes that the chocolate lovers in the group would enjoy my take on the no bake icebox cake!
Thankfully both cakes were a big hit in our group and since my friend Lauren asked me for my recipe for the double chocolate icebox cake to make for her sister’s birthday tomorrow, I knew I had to quickly make it again so I could measure everything out and while I was at it, I figured I might as well photograph it and share it on the blog because we all loved it so much!
This recipe is a great summertime dessert because no baking is involve – leave that HOT oven OFF! – and the only real “work” you have to do it whip up some homemade whipped cream and add a dash of cocoa powder and powdered sugar. (Of course you can skip this step and simply add cocoa powder to Cool Whip, but if you have the time, I highly recommend making your own whipped cream. It makes a world of difference!)
Another plus for this recipe is that’s it’s incredibly easy to customize. The version I made is gluten-free because I used gluten-free Enjoy Life Double Chocolate Crunchy Cookies, but you can substitute your favorite cookies (boxed or homemade) to suit your preference. The next rendition of this icebox cake in our house will be made with Oreos since Ryan is one of the world’s biggest Oreo lovers!
Double Chocolate No Bake Icebox Cake
Makes five large servings
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 16-ounce package Enjoy Life Double Chocolate Crunchy Cookies (or 14 crispy chocolate cookies of your choice)
- Using a hand mixer or an electric mixer fitted with the whipping attachment, whip heavy whipping cream in a large bowl on low speed while gradually adding cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Gradually increase speed as whipped cream thickens. Whip until cream is thick enough to hold its shape but not lumpy.
- Spread a thin layer of whipped cream into the bottom of a standard-size loaf pan (9×5 inches). Layer 1/3 of the cookies on top of the whipped cream (you may need to break a couple of cookies to get them to fit) and sprinkle with 1/3 of the chocolate chips. Spread another layer of whipped cream and top with another 1/3 of the cookies and another 1/3 of the chocolate chips. Spread a final layer of whipped cream on top. Crush remaining cookies and sprinkle on top of the whipped cream. Sprinkle with remaining mini chocolate chips.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight or for at least five hours to give the cookies time to soften a bit. When ready to serve, slice into icebox cake and serve immediately.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to feed more people. If you choose to double it, the recipe will work well in an 8×8 pan.
- If you’re looking for a dairy-free version of this recipe, coconut whipped cream can be substituted for the whipped cream.
- In the past I’ve ordered Enjoy Life chocolate chips from Thrive Market to have on hand in our pantry and find that they are usually $1-2 less than what you’ll find them for at a local grocery store. They’re also gluten, dairy, nut and soy free. I’ve also found them at Publix and Whole Foods.
- I typically find the Enjoy Life crunchy cookies at Whole Foods but you can also buy them on Amazon.
I hope you guys love this recipe!
More No Bake Recipes
- No Bake Key Lime Pie Bites
- Easy No Bake Recipes (A roundup of some of my favorites!)
- No Bake (Customizable) Granola Bars
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- No Bake Breakfast Cookies
- No Bake Oatmeal Nut Butter Balls (One of the most popular recipes I’ve shared on PBF! No food processor needed!)
- No Bake Tropical Energy Bars
- Healthy No Bake Chocolate Truffles (Vegan and gluten-free!)
- Coconut Power Balls